Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast?

Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast?

Old Aug 13th 2004, 2:05 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast?

Hi Guys! We are in the process of WAITING for notification of success (as many of us are). My hubby, 14 month old son & I are sponsored by my Parents who live on the Gold Coast but have a second home on the Sunshine Coast. We have visited both and cannot decide whether to apply for jobs & settle on the Gold Coast or the Sunny Coast......... both have advantages yet both have disadvantages..... any thoughts?????
Old Aug 13th 2004, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice
Default Re: Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast?

The few Ozzies I have spoken to prefer the Sunshine Coast because it is less touristy but I'm not sure on the pro's and con's of work and all that. I would imagine though the work is quite seasonal in both places depending on what you do.

In short, dunno (I'm just waffling - sorry!! )

Good luck.
Old Aug 13th 2004, 3:45 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast?

Originally Posted by Billabong
The few Ozzies I have spoken to prefer the Sunshine Coast because it is less touristy but I'm not sure on the pro's and con's of work and all that. I would imagine though the work is quite seasonal in both places depending on what you do.

In short, dunno (I'm just waffling - sorry!! )

Good luck.
I know what you mean - my husband is a chef so he can work just about anywhere. I am a computer analyst so jobs for me tend to be in Brisbane or in the bigger towns - not a lot going on for my trade up the sunny coast! I guess if we chose the Sunshine Coast I could be a lady of leisure, look after my boy and enjoy life! ;o)
Old Aug 13th 2004, 7:46 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
I guess if we chose the Sunshine Coast I could be a lady of leisure, look after my boy and enjoy life! ;o)

Now that sounds like a plan with no drawbacks.....
Old Aug 13th 2004, 8:20 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hiya Billabong,

I must admit that I prefer the Sunshine Coast. I didn't go at the peak time, but it felt more relaxed. I've yust returned from a week and a bit visit.
I liked Maloolibar (bet i spelt it wrong) the beach was nioce and had shade, as well as the cofee shops on the front for relaxing and watching the passing throng.

I liked the fact that the waves were smaller as well the beaches being smaller. Both of the placesare nice though!!

Then again you takes your choice and settle where you won't.

The only thing that I had in my mind was what I would do for a living.

Bye
Mark
Old Aug 13th 2004, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

HeatherandTim is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
I've been to Maloolabah and my concern there is that there isnt alot for kids/youths to do. There was a fair bit of gang mentality with the kids roaming the streets. One day Tim and his mates had to stop a big gang from beating up a boy. Its a nice place to visit for hols but I think you do a bit more research. I can comment on the gold coast I only went there once for a quick visit.
Old Aug 13th 2004, 9:29 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

my Parents who live on the Gold Coast but have a second home on the Sunshine Coast. ..... any thoughts?????
Surely the correct answer is to live rent free in the parent's second home on the Sunny Coast

It's win-win!
Old Aug 13th 2004, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Mooloolabas actually the "strip" where the kids hang out on Friday saturday nights etc so you might have got a bad impression, if you went to the gold coast you would see the same thing at surfers caville ave etc. Every area here even country towns have one big congregation area where kids hang.

What do they do to amuse themselves. Starts at high school usually hang out at shops on late night shop night, parents drop them off at movies, most get part time jobs at 15 so they have their own money, 16 its driving lessons 17 car. Then its access to anything, parties being the main one, BIG parties hundreds seem to attend. At 18 they hit the pubs and clubs they do check ID so dont worry they wont get in before then. Boozing is big and the combo of cars booze is undeniably a worry. Booze buses run tho to get them to many venues, I wont even get into if thats a good idea or not.

Jobs can become a worry after 18, wages go up and they get put off, but thats not just on coasts that happens all over OZ. Unemployment on both coasts is now quite good, its down to 11% which is very low considering both coasts main industry is toursim. Its probably true to say tho the housing boom has accounted for a lot of the improvement in jobs tho. Both coasts commutable to Bris is you fancy the journey.
Old Aug 14th 2004, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

dingdong is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

My hubby has relatives on the Gold Coast, which is where we're heading on 3rd Jan, Sunshine Coast I think is more Beautiful but work wise quieter, My hubby is a Sparky and theres loads of Construction work going on there which is good for us. Going to be a full time mum myself, leaving my full support network at home while your heading out to yours - good on ye mate!!
Scary - definately, on a good day with my two young lively boys - fab, on a bad day large blue veins in neck and large bald patches from where I've torn out my own hair, what am I doing leaving my parents who live just around the corner from me and love to help me with the lads?

Anyway I'm sure there may be trouble ahead, but hopefully just until we get settled and start enjoying our family life, which in the NorthEast is hard to do as there is nowhere to take the kids unless your prepared for a million and 4 other kids all running into each other cos their parents have had the same idea, I'm sure most parents sympathise and part of the reason why there are so many heading for Oz.

BRING IT ON!!!!!!! :scared:
Old Aug 14th 2004, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

If you ever want to go back to work, the GC has a nice train line to Brisbane and a few odd jobs in IT around Burleigh esp in the computer games industry. I always vote to live near babysitters anyway.

Queenie

I know what you mean - my husband is a chef so he can work just about anywhere. I am a computer analyst so jobs for me tend to be in Brisbane or in the bigger towns - not a lot going on for my trade up the sunny coast! I guess if we chose the Sunshine Coast I could be a lady of leisure, look after my boy and enjoy life! ;o)