British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Gold Coast Rentals (advice please) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/gold-coast-rentals-advice-please-559011/)

barry f Sep 2nd 2008 4:16 pm

Gold Coast Rentals (advice please)

Hi,

Finally after various set backs my partner and i have our flights booked up and will be arriving in Oz on the 10th of October.

We are looking to rent initially for at least the first 6 months. We have viewed rentals online but want to see first hand what we will be getting for our dollar (so to speak) before we commit. We were wondering what anyone could suggest we do for the first few weeks, up until we find a longer term rental. I know we could book into a hotel but see this eating quickly into our savings. As neither of us have been able to secure a job as yet we need to try to be as efficient as we can with the money we have on our arrival.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Barry & Rachel

Jamesfam Sep 2nd 2008 6:09 pm

Re: Gold Coast Rentals (advice please)

Hi - We too are emigrating to the Gold Coast in October. We have booked into the Pelican Cove Resort for 4 weeks. They are self contained apartments with washer/dryer etc. If you phone them you can get a good discount. We are paying just over £300 per week but have agreed to do our own washing of sheets and towels etc to secure that price. Their web site is: http://www.pelican-cove-resort.com/. Good luck with everything. Clare

steve`o Sep 2nd 2008 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Jamesfam (Post 6741232)
Hi - We too are emigrating to the Gold Coast in October. We have booked into the Pelican Cove Resort for 4 weeks. They are self contained apartments with washer/dryer etc. If you phone them you can get a good discount. We are paying just over £300 per week but have agreed to do our own washing of sheets and towels etc to secure that price. Their web site is: http://www.pelican-cove-resort.com/. Good luck with everything. Clare

dont book via the web though speak to muzza or jenny ( the managers )
(07) 5537 7001

barry f Sep 2nd 2008 9:54 pm

Thanks Claire and Steve for your replys the place looks really really nice. we'd still welcome any other options though before we go ahead and book anything.

Barry & Rachel

DONOVAN Sep 2nd 2008 9:59 pm

Hiya if you need any help with a 6 month plus rental pm me and I will see what I can do, I have relocated many families to th GC so maybe able to help.

Sarah x

DestinationSydney Sep 3rd 2008 12:18 am

Hi, we stayed there when we first arrived (nearly 3mths ago). Its good for kids heated pool, very clean and easy to travel around. Jenny is lovely and helpful too only drawback was no internet access which is really vital but there is a mcdonald in harbourtown (5 mins away) that has it if u have a laptop or the shopping centres have them in runaway bay too now (kiosk machines) It took us 2 weeks to get a rental. Any questions feel free to ask
Michelle

asprilla Sep 3rd 2008 12:43 am

Originally Posted by barry f (Post 6740944)
Hi,

Finally after various set backs my partner and i have our flights booked up and will be arriving in Oz on the 10th of October.

We are looking to rent initially for at least the first 6 months. We have viewed rentals online but want to see first hand what we will be getting for our dollar (so to speak) before we commit. We were wondering what anyone could suggest we do for the first few weeks, up until we find a longer term rental. I know we could book into a hotel but see this eating quickly into our savings. As neither of us have been able to secure a job as yet we need to try to be as efficient as we can with the money we have on our arrival.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Barry & Rachel

have a look on www.realholidays.com.au, click on the map "QLD" then hit "click to search by map" and click gold coast. Do a search for "houses/townhouses".....there are plenty available between $300 and $450 per week, some of them are in great locations.

good luck !

barry f Sep 3rd 2008 7:13 am

Originally Posted by markallwood (Post 6742359)
have a look on www.realholidays.com.au, click on the map "QLD" then hit "click to search by map" and click gold coast. Do a search for "houses/townhouses".....there are plenty available between $300 and $450 per week, some of them are in great locations.

good luck !

Thanks again for the replys. I did have a quick look at realholidays last night but was realy tired so will take a better look later today when i've a little more time. Thanks again

Barry & Rachel

mandyp Sep 3rd 2008 7:22 am

You can also get short term/holiday rentals on
www.realestate.com.au

We booked through this online a few weeks before we came over without any problems. We just took the appartment for 2 weeks and found a long term rental without any problems to move into at the end of the 2 weeks.

Good luck in your new venture!!
Cheers
Mandy

hunt66 Sep 3rd 2008 7:52 am

Originally Posted by mandyp (Post 6743088)
You can also get short term/holiday rentals on
www.realestate.com.au

We booked through this online a few weeks before we came over without any problems. We just took the appartment for 2 weeks and found a long term rental without any problems to move into at the end of the 2 weeks.

Good luck in your new venture!!
Cheers
Mandy

Hi, another vote for pelican cove. We stayed there in march on our reccie and will be staying there for 4 weeks when we fly out on friday.
Dave

steve`o Sep 3rd 2008 8:30 am

Originally Posted by hunt66 (Post 6743156)
Hi, another vote for pelican cove. We stayed there in march on our reccie and will be staying there for 4 weeks when we fly out on friday.
Dave

hi dave
i take you going to pop around and see us then ??

regards steve

ps that goes for anyone one else who fancies meeting up

hunt66 Sep 3rd 2008 8:52 am

Originally Posted by steve`o (Post 6743245)
hi dave
i take you going to pop around and see us then ??

regards steve

ps that goes for anyone one else who fancies meeting up

Sure will, give you a ring when were there. Having 3 days in Singapore on route.
Dave

OzzyLee Sep 3rd 2008 9:05 am

Originally Posted by hunt66 (Post 6743298)
Sure will, give you a ring when were there. Having 3 days in Singapore on route.
Dave

Someone should arrange a "Sparkie" meet so we can all discuss Kirchhoff's Laws :rofl:

calNgary Sep 3rd 2008 9:12 am

Hi you can try ashmore palms, we have two furnished properties but nothing until 17th. We have just got a rental on the coast for a family but it took us a few weeks if you want to save as much as possible try & get rental viewings for when you arrive or pm sarah she has already posted on thread i think she can get everything ready for your arrival GARY

steve`o Sep 3rd 2008 10:38 am

Originally Posted by OzzyLee (Post 6743329)
Someone should arrange a "Sparkie" meet so we can all discuss Kirchhoff's Laws :rofl:

are you a sparkie too lee ??