Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gold Coast or Perth

Gold Coast or Perth

Old Mar 25th 2006, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

redmini is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gold Coast or Perth

We came to Brisbane because we had a few distant relatives here and it seems one of the most popular places to come to. I don't think after living here for 3 months that we want to stay here. We are over 1 hour from the nearest beach and it is very hot and humid here and I'm just not too keen on the suburbs here.

We like the Sunshine Coast around Moololabah and Buderim but I don't think there is much work up that way. We have started to look at the Gold Coast and that might be better for us. However we think Perth might suit us better. We want to be nearer the coast and want a fairly new house.

I am not that qualified so jobs will be a problem. I have found it very difficult to get a job here in Brisbane as a HC driver (heavy goods) and they have to drive very long hours with no tachograph and for low pay. I have been working at a garage as a mechanic trade assistant (I qualified years ago but have not worked as a mechanic for over 20 years).

I do not want to disrupt the kids schooling by going to Perth before I get a better idea of the place. I went there 15 years ago but cannot remember it that well. Good schools will be important and areas that are considered very desirable as we want to buy somewhere that will increase in value as we probably want to return to the UK in the future.

So not much to ask! Anyone in Perth or the Gold Coast how is the job situation for HC drivers, what are the good primary and schools (preferably state) and where can I buy a lovely new house preferably with a view for approx $600,000.

Thanks Trev.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 12:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gold Coast or Perth

[QUOTE=redmini]We came to Brisbane because we had a few distant relatives here and it seems one of the most popular places to come to. I don't think after living here for 3 months that we want to stay here. We are over 1 hour from the nearest beach and it is very hot and humid here and I'm just not too keen on the suburbs here.

We like the Sunshine Coast around Moololabah and Buderim but I don't think there is much work up that way. We have started to look at the Gold Coast and that might be better for us. However we think Perth might suit us better. We want to be nearer the coast and want a fairly new house.

I am not that qualified so jobs will be a problem. I have found it very difficult to get a job here in Brisbane as a HC driver (heavy goods) and they have to drive very long hours with no tachograph and for low pay. I have been working at a garage as a mechanic trade assistant (I qualified years ago but have not worked as a mechanic for over 20 years).

I do not want to disrupt the kids schooling by going to Perth before I get a better idea of the place. I went there 15 years ago but cannot remember it that well. Good schools will be important and areas that are considered very desirable as we want to buy somewhere that will increase in value as we probably want to return to the UK in the future.

So not much to ask! Anyone in Perth or the Gold Coast how is the job situation for HC drivers, what are the good primary and schools (preferably state) and where can I buy a lovely new house preferably with a view for approx $600,000.
Originally Posted by redmini

Just did a long reply and my computer threw a wobbly and crashed so will try again.

Can you get hold of Gold Coast's Weekend Bulletin? It has all the jobs in and all the Real Estate.

Had a quick look this week and there are driver jobs. If you go to careerone.com.au and put in gold coast all the jobs will come up. Not much more help on that one.

Schools - haven't come across a bad one. There are a couple of high schools that are not as great as the others but not much in it (that's only heresay - Thanks Trev.
haven't heard any complaints from people with kids actually in the schools) All the primary schools are good and have excellent reputations.

Living wise, you will have no problem finding the property you want for that money. Just been looking through the real estate section of the paper and there are all sorts. It depends on what you want because different areas of GC are very different from each other. Do you want space, or be close to neighbours, do you want to be on the water (either river, canal or beach) or happy to have a very short drive to beach? do you want hills, trees etc or busy busy suburb? So many variables. Lots of people love the north end, we don't so it's hard to know what rocks peoples boats

Obviously it would be easier for you to explore GC compared to Perth and I personally would never live in Perth If I were you I would come down for a few weekends and really explore both sides of the motorway and north and south.

If you want to pm or e-mail me feel free, will help anyway I can. Not been here long and did stacks of searching when we arrived so much of it is still very fresh in my mind.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Here are some threads with info re: Perth

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=362413

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=362807

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=361581

We came to Brisbane because we had a few distant
relatives here and it seems one of the most popular places to come to. I don't think after living here for 3 months that we want to stay here. We are over 1 hour from the nearest beach and it is very hot and humid here and I'm just not too keen on the suburbs here.

Thanks Trev.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 10:13 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Trev.
Hi
A lovely 6 bedroom house with ocean views just sold for $600,000 down the road from us last week, here in Marmion (WA). Excellent primary school, sooo close to the beach. Not sure about HC driving, mechanics approx $42,000 per year +.