Reload this Page >

Gold Coast & Kids Questions

Gold Coast & Kids Questions

Old May 3rd 2004, 11:58 pm
Just Joined

pom_in_oz is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Gold Coast & Kids Questions

Hi all,
We are probably relocating to Gold Coast (or a slight chance the Sunshine Coast Caloundra area) in the near future & have two boys aged 5 & 1. We are not fixed on a particular location (but if you really need to know lets say Robina & work outwards), having spent some time in Melbourne we are particularly interested to hear views from similar families or anyone else on :

- any friendly Toddler Groups

- Good kinder, pre-schools with a liklihood of places available or @ $$ for private schools

- Kid friendly complexes to spend our first six months renting

- Areas to check out where where there may be a sense of community

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Peter

Last edited by pom_in_oz; May 4th 2004 at 12:00 am.
Old May 4th 2004, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

robinvanboxel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Peter, we are also looking to settle on the gold coast (not there yet though)! When we came out to Oz at Xmas we had a really good look at areas that had a family feel as we have two children (2 and 6). Have a look at Mudgereeba, Tallai and Worongary. The first (mudgereeba) had a really nice feel to it almost villagey with its only community schools, playing fields etc. But its only about a 15 min drive from Robina town centre. Hope this is of help
Liz
Old May 4th 2004, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

Sorry not sure if I spelt that right I think its Mudgeeraba??Anyway one of them is right!
Old May 4th 2004, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

Liz,
Thanks for your feedback, I was hoping for more response as there must be loads of young families who have moved to the GC will keep waiting with fingers crossed. Will also check out the areas you mentioned.

Have also sent you a PM

Peter

Originally posted by robinvanboxel
Hi Peter, we are also looking to settle on the gold coast (not there yet though)! When we came out to Oz at Xmas we had a really good look at areas that had a family feel as we have two children (2 and 6). Have a look at Mudgereeba, Tallai and Worongary. The first (mudgereeba) had a really nice feel to it almost villagey with its only community schools, playing fields etc. But its only about a 15 min drive from Robina town centre. Hope this is of help
Liz
Old May 11th 2004, 1:32 am
ABCDiamond

How are things going for your search for information in the Gold Coast ?

Old May 11th 2004, 3:17 am
Just Joined

coll is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All
I emigtated to oz a couple of years ago,I live on the gold coast not far from Mudgeeraba,Robina is a very nice place,has great schools,both private and public.it's only 20mins from surfers paradise,(beach,attractions,etc).
Robina,Mudgeeraba,worongary and surrounding areas have great shopping facility's.
if any one wants any further information please let me know.
Old May 11th 2004, 4:39 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
How are things going for your search for information in the Gold Coast ?
Hi ABCDiamond,
We have got lots of info on the Gold Coast in general from the various forums, but unfortunatgely not too much from families with kids who have moved there & their experience & views on the above.

Peter
Old May 11th 2004, 4:54 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by pom_in_oz
Hi ABCDiamond,
We have got lots of info on the Gold Coast in general from the various forums, but unfortunatgely not too much from families with kids who have moved there & their experience & views on the above.

Peter
Hopefuly you may get a few more replies soon.

We are about an hour north of the Gold Coast, a different sort of area I think.

Old May 11th 2004, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Gold Coast & Kids Questions

Originally posted by pom_in_oz
Hi all,
We are probably relocating to Gold Coast (or a slight chance the Sunshine Coast Caloundra area) in the near future & have two boys aged 5 & 1. We are not fixed on a particular location (but if you really need to know lets say Robina & work outwards), having spent some time in Melbourne we are particularly interested to hear views from similar families or anyone else on :

- any friendly Toddler Groups

- Good kinder, pre-schools with a liklihood of places available or @ $$ for private schools

- Kid friendly complexes to spend our first six months renting

- Areas to check out where where there may be a sense of community

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Peter

Hi there,
We are a family of 5 and the kids are 3,6,11. We are heading out to Helensvale on the gold coast to see friends next week, so may be able to provide some advice.
We like the look of Arundel, cheaper housing, lovely area, and according to our friends there is loads of stuff for children to do, and of course you have the theme parks in this area.

We are at first heading to Victoria and hoping to move up to the gold coast after a couple of years as we dont have enough points for the skliied independent so need to go on a state sponsored first. We are quite open minded and if we love Melbourne then we will stay here.

But it's a big adventure at the moment.

Will give a review of the gold coast when we get back.

Good luck
Old May 11th 2004, 7:57 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE]Originally posted by coll
Hi All
I emigtated to oz a couple of years ago,I live on the gold coast not far from Mudgeeraba,Robina is a very nice place,has great schools,both private and public.it's only 20mins from surfers paradise,(beach,attractions,etc).
Robina,Mudgeeraba,worongary and surrounding areas have great shopping facility's.
if any one wants any further information please let me know. [/QUOTE

Hi coll, we spent xmas in oz and for the first time actually looked at areas we would like to live in. My inlaws are in Helensvale so we didnt want to be too far away. We really liked Mudgereeba and tallai, was wondering if you have the name of a couple of schools in the area that we could look up on the net. We have a son of 6 and a daughter of 2and half. Is there both private and state in the area? We thought we might go for private education, but if there was a good state school then we would obviously look at that first. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 11th 2004, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Hi Dicko,
From your icon it looks like you & my wife will soon make it two Everton supporters in Oz!! :-)

We visited Queensland when we first came to Oz & liked Pacific Pines in Helensvale but we are going to have another good look around when we go back based on what we have learned from living in Melbourne for th last 4 months, hence my specific questions about the Gold Coast.

Hope you have a good trip next week & look forward to reading the feedback from your visit.

Peter
Old May 11th 2004, 8:12 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by robinvanboxel
We really liked Mudgereeba and tallai, was wondering if you have the name of a couple of schools in the area that we could look up on the net. We have a son of 6 and a daughter of 2and half. Is there both private and state in the area? We thought we might go for private education, but if there was a good state school then we would obviously look at that first. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
School Name, Telephone, Facsimile, Email Address, Internet Site, Principal/Officer-in-Charge

Mudgeeraba Creek State School (07) 5525 3233 (07) 5525 3306 [email protected] www.mudgcreess.eq.edu.au Mr Trevor Dawson

Mudgeeraba State School (07) 5530 5044 (07) 5530 5852 [email protected] www.mudgeerass.eq.edu.au Mr Robert Stevenson

Somerset College (Mudgeeraba) (07) 5530 4100 (07) 5530 3208 [email protected] www.somerset.qld.edu.au

Details obtained from:
http://education.qld.gov.au/schools/directory/
Just enter the town name in "Full search:" and press search

Old May 11th 2004, 8:22 am

robertd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Gold Coast & Kids Questions

Hi we live in varsity lakes robina, it is very nice, varsity lakes schools are fantastic, we have 2 children, 14 and 10. Are little girl had a maths teacher come round are house in the uk, now she is in the top set for maths in school, she has come on very well.
The work situ is not good, qld gov make it hard if you have a trade to get the licences to work, it took me 6 months to get a plumbers licence, but i have to go back to collage to get a full licence. The wages on the gold coast ar not good but it is a nice place to live, we are pleased we came hear,if it doesnt work hear( which it loks like its not) we may go to perth or back to sunny poole dorset.
Old May 11th 2004, 10:15 am
Just Joined

coll is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,
Robina state high school has a very good reputation,both my 16 and 17 year old's attend there.
They have both done really well for themselves,with the eldest gaining a place at uni.
Both my children were in private education in the U.K.
When we arrived in Australia we looked at most of the private schools in the area.
With the exception of Somerset college most were no better than the state schools.(religion plays a large part in most private schools).
Somerset has a waiting list for most years.(locals put there names down years in advance,just to keep up with the jones's).
Like the U.K,to attend a state school you must live within the catchment area.
I have friends who have children in the mudgeeraba creek school.
and again have only heard good things.
Helensvale is about a 25 min drive from Mudgeeraba,helensvale high school also has quiet good results and reputation.
again to attend you must live within the catchment area.
Just a quick point.I travelled about 5000k up and down the coast when i arrived looking at different areas, suitable for schools,work,and the children not being in the middle of no where!!
any further help just ask
Regards
Keith.