Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gold Coast Jobs Current Economic Enviroment?

Gold Coast Jobs Current Economic Enviroment?

Old Feb 16th 2011, 2:36 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gold Coast Jobs Current Economic Enviroment?

Is there any local Gold Coast (5 mile radius of Surfers) Expats willing to give me a honest description of the current jobs situation. Current Economic Enviroment?

I ask, when i say jobs i mean jobs where you do not need a degree or ten years experience post apprenticeship etc? Jobs like bar tender, taxi driver, security guard, waiter, truck driver etc. Also whats the current rental situation like down there, i know the area quite well, i like Runaway Bay, Biggera Waters, i like Southport, and i like the area over Chevron Island, past the golf course on your way to Ashmore.

I ask because i know tourism is big in the area, with the high dollar, and things getting tough for Australia as a whole, then it might be one of the areas which really feels the effects, and where i am heading to.

Cheers Keith
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

Gold_Coast is just really niceGold_Coast is just really niceGold_Coast is just really niceGold_Coast is just really niceGold_Coast is just really niceGold_Coast is just really niceGold_Coast is just really niceGold_Coast is just really niceGold_Coast is just really nice
Default Re: Gold Coast Jobs Current Economic Enviroment?

Hi Keith,

I live on the Gold Coast and I work in the hospitality industry - the industry is a little slow at the moment but it is picking up. Generally the first couple of months of the year is always quieter so its nothing unusual
Old Feb 16th 2011, 9:53 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gold_Coast
Hi Keith,

I live on the Gold Coast and I work in the hospitality industry - the industry is a little slow at the moment but it is picking up. Generally the first couple of months of the year is always quieter so its nothing unusual
Thanks, Keith
Old Feb 17th 2011, 1:24 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say not great. Not been aware of an upswing in job numbers in the papers or of people who've been looking for work finding anything any quicker now than last year.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 1:27 am
Banned

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I'd say not great. Not been aware of an upswing in job numbers in the papers or of people who've been looking for work finding anything any quicker now than last year.
Ummmm, yep what i was hearing, which is worrying if you, well i am looking for work........
Old Feb 18th 2011, 5:22 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Our unemployment is higher than both the national and Queensland averages. Unfortunately our economy is built on construction, retail and hospitality which are the three areas usually most affected by economic changes.

The Gold Coast is dominated by small businesses so they are usually the first with the doom and gloom. So to answer your question, yes it is a little harder to find a job here at the moment, but there's plenty of opportunities for people with the right attitude. I'm a great believer that if you present yourself well, have a good attitude then you find something.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

Secretsquirral has a spectacular aura aboutSecretsquirral has a spectacular aura aboutSecretsquirral has a spectacular aura about

I know a lot of people here who are currently looking for a job. I think the truest thing I have heard here on the coast is that its not what you know, its who you know. If someone can refer you, well, thats your best bet, so get yourself known! Good luck
Old Feb 19th 2011, 6:22 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Secretsquirral
I know a lot of people here who are currently looking for a job. I think the truest thing I have heard here on the coast is that its not what you know, its who you know. If someone can refer you, well, thats your best bet, so get yourself known! Good luck
I've always considered that to be true regardless of where in the world you are. Mostly you don't realise it because you've lived somewhere so long, it happens without thought.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
Is there any local Gold Coast (5 mile radius of Surfers) Expats willing to give me a honest description of the current jobs situation. Current Economic Enviroment?

I ask, when i say jobs i mean jobs where you do not need a degree or ten years experience post apprenticeship etc? Jobs like bar tender, taxi driver, security guard, waiter, truck driver etc. Also whats the current rental situation like down there, i know the area quite well, i like Runaway Bay, Biggera Waters, i like Southport, and i like the area over Chevron Island, past the golf course on your way to Ashmore.

I ask because i know tourism is big in the area, with the high dollar, and things getting tough for Australia as a whole, then it might be one of the areas which really feels the effects, and where i am heading to.

Cheers Keith

Having been on a conference with DEEWR at the Vibe Hotel Gold Coast on Wednesday just gone, It was quite enlightening to the outcome of depression and lost employment in all areas,
According to their statistics the biggest down turn was from March 2010 – Nov 2010 with a unemployment rise from 5.2% to 7%, this mostly being in the Coolangatta and Southport areas.
Old Feb 19th 2011, 1:28 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by milly123
Having been on a conference with DEEWR at the Vibe Hotel Gold Coast on Wednesday just gone, It was quite enlightening to the outcome of depression and lost employment in all areas,
According to their statistics the biggest down turn was from March 2010 – Nov 2010 with a unemployment rise from 5.2% to 7%, this mostly being in the Coolangatta and Southport areas.
Originally Posted by Secretsquirral
Originally Posted by diddy
Our unemployment is higher than both the national and Queensland averages. Unfortunately our economy is built on construction, retail and hospitality which are the three areas usually most affected by economic changes.

The Gold Coast is dominated by small businesses so they are usually the first with the doom and gloom. So to answer your question, yes it is a little harder to find a job here at the moment, but there's plenty of opportunities for people with the right attitude. I'm a great believer that if you present yourself well, have a good attitude then you find something.

Cheers Guys and Girls thanks very much!