Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

gold coast industry

gold coast industry

Old Jun 3rd 2013, 10:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: gold coast industry

Originally Posted by steve`o
been watching today tonight have we?

what utter rubbish

been here near seven years in that time i know of only one person who has had the misfortune to have had their home brokin in to which was very suspicious
You know me so that makes two as I don't think ours was suspicious!

Originally Posted by Icecube
Based upon the "Australia with Simon Reeve" documentary on BBC2 (episode 3) last night the Gold Coast has the reputation as being crime ridden (drugs etc) ... a quote from the Australian Police who were interviewed as part of the programme. Based on the number of Bikie gangs in the area I would be inclined to believe them.
Going on my 7+ years experience of actually living here I'd have to disagree with Simon Reeve (whoever he is). It's not crime ridden, there is crime, just as there is in every town and city in the world. Does it affect everyone on the coast? No it doesn't. As for Bikie gangs, just because they're around, doesn't actually mean they're doing something illegal 24/7. Most of them are regular people living regular lives. Making ridiculous unsubstantiated generalisations helps no one.

As for employment, yes, at the moment it sucks hairy balls.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You know me so that makes two as I don't think ours was suspicious!

Going on my 7+ years experience of actually living here I'd have to disagree with Simon Reeve (whoever he is). It's not crime ridden, there is crime, just as there is in every town and city in the world. Does it affect everyone on the coast? No it doesn't. As for Bikie gangs, just because they're around, doesn't actually mean they're doing something illegal 24/7. Most of them are regular people living regular lives. Making ridiculous unsubstantiated generalisations helps no one.

As for employment, yes, at the moment it sucks hairy balls.
The quotes were from the Police, so I think they may know what is going on....
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BASHO
... the Gold Coast had one of the highest unemployment rates in the country last time I bothered to look.
It used to be - way back in the day - that the Gold Coast had the highest number of unemployed lion-tamers in Australia. I don't know if that's still the case. Young unemployed fellows used to drift up from the south - especially in winter - not looking for work at all, just the dole. What better skill to claim than that of a lion-tamer, to minimise the chance of being offered a job?
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 9:46 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

surfers is not the gold coast

on the white map the red bit, yes it really is that tiny of an area, is the extent of surfers within the gold coast

on the zoomed in map the yellow area is again the total extent of surfers
Attached Thumbnails gold coast industry-gold_coast_region_web.jpg   gold coast industry-surfers-paradise.bmp  
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 10:04 pm
Wannabe PPP

With All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to all

Oh, FFS! Surfers is not the Goldie as much as Noosa is not the Sunshine as much as Sydney is not NSW. Simon Reeve was involved in a TV programme seeking ratings which was trying to be somewhat different about its view on Oz - as in not just golden beaches and roos. There's bikies all over Oz, as there are in any other country. If you're concerned about the bikies in Oz controlling the meth trade on the Goldie, are you equally concerned about PIRA or CIRA controlling the drugs and arms into mainland UK through Ireland?

Get some perspective!

The organised crime and groups in Oz are insignficant compared to what is in the UK in a far smaller geographical area. Compare the Goldie to anywhere in the UK of similar population and I'd be surprised if the true stats came out any worse. Anyway, the benefits surely outweigh that, right?
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 10:49 pm
Wannabe PPP

With All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to all

Sorry to be so crass, but on the whole it's much like the wildlife - if you don't f**k with it then it doesn't f**k with you!

Yes, I've had a scotch or two...
Old Jun 4th 2013, 5:02 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

They may well do. They may also be after more funding... I haven't seen the programme to hear what was said and in what context. I also haven't seen the cutting room floor.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 6:06 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

sorry but no it wasnt the person talking it all up was the local police union rep
he wont have an agenda for more police will he??
Old Jun 4th 2013, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute

'Utter rubbishers' --do you not read the newspapers or listen to the news ?

I've just lived on the Gold Coast for five years (this time round) would have been away 3 years ago if the property market hadn't gone sideways, I also worked there for 15 months 77/78 , back then it was a sleezy seaside dump, now it's a bigger violent sleezy seaside dump.

For the 'you don't realy know whar crime is'-er's-- I'm from Moss Side.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 7:20 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
sorry but no it wasnt the person talking it all up was the local police union rep
he wont have an agenda for more police will he??
Police with no agenda?

Doesn't happen
Old Jun 4th 2013, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

I've just lived on the Gold Coast for five years (this time round) would have been away 3 years ago if the property market hadn't gone sideways, I also worked there for 15 months 77/78 , back then it was a sleezy seaside dump, now it's a bigger violent sleezy seaside dump.

We live in a very different Gold Coast to you.,
Old Jun 4th 2013, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

1 million ..... I'll take 4 please

http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...ters-113982271
Old Jun 4th 2013, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Not many minutes from that one and youve got the hinterland acreage, all pretty sleazy stuff
Old Jun 4th 2013, 8:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...gera-113952995

44 acres (some of which floods). Possibly outside most of our budgets but apart from the dodgy decor it is a really nice house. Husband fitted the air con and he's very fussy but would own it if he had to. Could get a bargain, they're divorcing, only finished it about three years ago.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

For the most part the GC is not at the seaside, just one edge. You seem to be basing your opinions on less then 5% of the place.

I know Moss Side. I used to go to school in Rusholme, by public transport and walking. I've also lived in Liverpool, Croydon, Turkey, NZ, the US and rural Kent and I haven't experienced as much crime on the GC as I did in any of my previous homes (OK leave NZ out of that list). That is my experience, but then I don't live at the seaside.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.