British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Gold Coast holiday advice.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/gold-coast-holiday-advice-545666/)

petsar68 Jun 28th 2008 3:45 am

Gold Coast holiday advice....

Hi,

No better reccommend than that of a local !
Can somebody please give me some advise on the best place/area to stay for a family holiday on the Gold Coast.
Our kids are 9 & 11 and we would ideally like a 2 bed apartment on or very close to a great beach and reasonably close to the theme parks.
Looking on the web there are loads to choose from so first hand knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :D

The Bloke Jun 28th 2008 4:14 am

Re: Gold Coast holiday advice....

Originally Posted by petsar68 (Post 6512171)
Hi,

No better reccommend than that of a local !
Can somebody please give me some advise on the best place/area to stay for a family holiday on the Gold Coast.
Our kids are 9 & 11 and we would ideally like a 2 bed apartment on or very close to a great beach and reasonably close to the theme parks.
Looking on the web there are loads to choose from so first hand knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :D

About the only advice a local could give is not to bother trying book for anything late October or mid-December due to Indy and Schoolies. We're trying the Promenade Apartments www.promenadeapartments.com.au over Indy, but it depends on what your budget is.

http://www.maps.google.com.au/maps?h...e-results&cd=1

www.QueenslandHolidays.com.au

www.wotif.com/gold coast

petsar68 Jun 28th 2008 6:04 am

Bugger !! We were planning on end of Oct !!
Budget wise we would like min of 4 star.

The Bloke Jun 28th 2008 6:50 am

Originally Posted by petsar68 (Post 6512271)
Bugger !! We were planning on end of Oct !!
Budget wise we would like min of 4 star.

Prices are through the roof as you can imagine for race week, as well as getting scarce from now on.
Race ends on the 26th, so you maybe able to pick something up then. We work as officials at the event, so we tend to book/confirm around Feburary-April(at the latest).

petsar68 Jun 28th 2008 10:43 am

Maybe not so bad then as i was thinking of heading over on the 28th.
Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

sa2uk2oz Jun 28th 2008 2:47 pm

Hi all
Schoolies is earlier this year, from 22 nov to mid dec..

Annie.R Jun 29th 2008 12:34 am

Hi,
I live on the Gold Coast. If you have to come to the Gold Coast during Indy week and you want to stay somewhere closer to the theme parks try Labrador, Biggera Waters, Hope Island, Sanctuary Cove.

Labrador has broadwater beach, but not ocean beach. If you want ocean beach try Broadbeach (which is far enough away from Indy, so it is not in the thick of it but will be busy) or Mermaid Beach - any further south is getting quite far from the theme parks. Sea World is at Main Beach - the others MovieWorld, Wet n Wild, DreamWorld and White WaterWorld are all around the Coomera/Oxenford area which is inland and about 20 to 25 minutes from Surfers. If you hire a car they are easily accessible even from further down the coast - but Main Beach is my preferred option as it is quieter and nicer - but obviously not an option during Indy week.

If you don't come during Indy - there is a gap between Indy and Schoolies which is an excellent time to visit as it usually quieter but great weather! If you can stay then there are plenty of great apartments in Main Beach or Surfers Paradise that are close to the ocean beach.

By the way during Indy, getting to Sea World is pretty tough!!! And I don't recommend Indy for the kids unless they are die hard fans and you don't mind them seeing some of the seedier things related to motor sport! (I have kids same age, I won't take them!).

Hope this helps - I can be more specific on recommendations if you choose time and preferred area.
Annie

petsar68 Jun 29th 2008 2:21 am

Annie thankyou.
We had heard Broadbeach was a good spot. We intend to arrive on Oct 28th - 29th for a 7 night stay. Any reccommended apartments would be appreciated or if you consider another area more suitable let me know.:thumbup:

Annie.R Jun 29th 2008 4:34 am

Hi,
Indy this year is 23 to 26 October I believe, so by my reckoning you will miss it...
Main Beach is therefore an option.

I like Pacific Views Resort in Main Beach as it is about as close to the beach as you can get, is a quick walk to Tedder Avenue (great restaurants) and close to Southport Surf Life Saving Club where you can go and get great meals at good prices with an outstanding view of the beach, and a bit of real Australia! If you like walking you can take a stroll to Surfers and there is even a cafe and shop underneath. Each apartment has ocean views! It has 1 and 2 bedroom apartments. My neighbour always books her family in there when they visit - so a good recommendation.

In Broadbeach, I like Carmel by the Sea which is 4½ stars and it also has 2 bedroom apartments. There are quite a few, including some new ones which I don't know much about. A friend of mine always uses Carmel by the Sea for her guests, so that is a pretty good recommendation too!

If you check the prices they are a fair indication as to whether Indy will be interfering with your holiday! I think you will be hard pushed to get a room in Main Beach during Indy and it is very expensive, so the prices often give you an indication.

Hope that helps. If there is anything else, just ask! I live here and helping people see the better side of the Gold Coast is one of my passions!

Cheers
Annie