Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

GOLD COAST HOLIDAY

GOLD COAST HOLIDAY

Old Apr 13th 2008, 7:58 am

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GOLD COAST HOLIDAY

I'm wanting to know of a good place to stay in the gold coast for just me and my 2 under 7's.

Minimal distance from all the major theme parks etc, minimal walk to beach and bars and restaurants. Or what theme parks would you recommend we visit?

Thanks

Carmel
Old Apr 13th 2008, 8:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GOLD COAST HOLIDAY

There's nowhere to stay with minimal distances to beach, parks and restaurants. The parks are mainly tucked up at the top end of the coast whilst the beaches and restaurants and real life is further down. I suggest you stay in Broadbeach and get one of the buses up to the parks. Under 7s - SeaWorld is excellent and not too far away but still a bus or taxi ride. The others further up the coast are Wet n' Wild, MovieWorld, DreamWorld/White Water World. They'd love (and you) Wet n' Wild. There would be more to do at MovieWorld for them but at DreamWorld, whilst the rides are scary, they do have Wiggles World or land or something. White Water World is an offshoot of DreamWorld but you have to pay extra and to be honest everyone I know prefers Wet n' Wild.

If it were me I'd maybe do MovieWorld and Wet n' Wild but definitely SeaWorld as it's made for little ones, kids areas, a small fun water park and lots of animals.

Lots of fab beaches around Broadbeach (obviously) and loads of family friendly restaurants both there and at Surfers but you don't want to stay at Surfers unless you have teens.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 9:08 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

We just got back from a short break on the Gold Coast. We went to MovieWorld, Wet n Wild and Sea World and had a great time.
We stayed at the Mari Court Resort which is away from the hustle and bustle towards Broadbeach, 150 metres walk to the beach, had a nice enough 2 bed 2 bath apartment for a good price. There were a few familys with young kids there and a nice heated pool. We hired a car but there was a bus stop right out the front.
If you book through wotif.com you get a better price than booking with the resort direct

Old Apr 13th 2008, 10:48 am

Just the info I needed, thanks to you both for that.

ooo think I'd like to live up that way!

Here's not bad tho' - my kids lurve the beach, maybe one day!

Carmel
Old Apr 13th 2008, 10:03 pm

wannabe,

Where did you buy your theme park tickets? Did you get a good deal?

Thanks

Carmel
Old Apr 13th 2008, 10:51 pm
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by carmele
wannabe,

Where did you buy your theme park tickets? Did you get a good deal?

Thanks

Carmel
I bought them online from myfun.com.au, Queenslanders and people from northern NSW get 50% 'locals' discount but only if they buy online. They had other offers there too.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:19 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
There's nowhere to stay with minimal distances to beach, parks and restaurants. The parks are mainly tucked up at the top end of the coast whilst the beaches and restaurants and real life is further down. I suggest you stay in Broadbeach and get one of the buses up to the parks. Under 7s - SeaWorld is excellent and not too far away but still a bus or taxi ride. The others further up the coast are Wet n' Wild, MovieWorld, DreamWorld/White Water World. They'd love (and you) Wet n' Wild. There would be more to do at MovieWorld for them but at DreamWorld, whilst the rides are scary, they do have Wiggles World or land or something. White Water World is an offshoot of DreamWorld but you have to pay extra and to be honest everyone I know prefers Wet n' Wild.

If it were me I'd maybe do MovieWorld and Wet n' Wild but definitely SeaWorld as it's made for little ones, kids areas, a small fun water park and lots of animals.

Lots of fab beaches around Broadbeach (obviously) and loads of family friendly restaurants both there and at Surfers but you don't want to stay at Surfers unless you have teens.

we're hoping to go in jan with two 17 year olds and a 9 year old, would surfers be better for us then
Old Apr 13th 2008, 11:26 pm

great for locals and northern nsw residents, jus looked a the site. Bummer for us! Anyine know of a good deals / outlet websites for non residents??

Galls me to pay full price when I know you cn get it cheaper!

Carmel
Old Apr 14th 2008, 7:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
we're hoping to go in jan with two 17 year olds and a 9 year old, would surfers be better for us then
Depends what sort of 17 year olds they are! Broadbeach is not far (10-20 min walk) from Surfers, so if they want to get in for stuff they can whilst you and the little one can have a bit more breathing space . Personally, if I was coming here for a holiday and my kids were under drinking age, I would still stay outside Surfers. Friday/Saturday night is loud and the police are very evident, how much 'real' trouble there is compared to say central Melbourne I have no idea. I just see it as a normal weekend hotspot. Lots of people love being in the buzz, I don't.

People on here like to bag the place and talk about the drugs, the HIV/AIDS etc etc but from living here, and reading the local papers constantly, I'd say it's like any city drink and drugs wise whilst only being a very small compact area with the holiday maker problems (and positives) thrown in.

Just read that back and not sure I've helped you any