Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gold Coast - hectic tourist spot, or laid back haven?

Gold Coast - hectic tourist spot, or laid back haven?

Old Nov 25th 2008, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice
Default Gold Coast - hectic tourist spot, or laid back haven?

We are thinking of moving to the Gold Coast (rather than Brisbane) in an attempt to ensure a better life balance and good quality of family life. We have lived on a small island for the last 8 years, and whilst I know it is impossible to get the balance we have here, there are some things that I would like to try and keep. Like a short travel distance to work ensuring that I do not spend my time in traffic, but rather with my family. Also some flexibility and time....
I thought the Gold Coast would be a good compromise....
However, a few people (ok..only 2!) have told me independently of each other that the Gold Coast is "hectic, and full of people and high rise buildings".
Is this true?
Or is this only so for a section of the place......with the life balance attainable in other parts.
We were thinking of moving to the Varsity Lakes area (primarily becuase the school is good there....).

Again....any thoughts in this topic appreciated....
I am aware that responses will all be subjective opinions driven my an individuals thoughts based on their life perceptions.....but as we do not have the luxury of an LSD, the opinions of this board and it's anonymous (and hopefully therefore truthful) individuals goes a long way to helping create a mental image.....

Nix
Old Nov 25th 2008, 1:48 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gold Coast - hectic tourist spot, or laid back haven?

Originally Posted by Nix and Mike
We are thinking of moving to the Gold Coast (rather than Brisbane) in an attempt to ensure a better life balance and good quality of family life. We have lived on a small island for the last 8 years, and whilst I know it is impossible to get the balance we have here, there are some things that I would like to try and keep. Like a short travel distance to work ensuring that I do not spend my time in traffic, but rather with my family. Also some flexibility and time....
However, a few people (ok..only 2!) have told me independently of each other that the Gold Coast is "hectic, and full of people and high rise buildings".
Is this true?
Or is this only so for a section of the place......with the life balance attainable in other parts.
We were thinking of moving to the Varsity Lakes area (primarily becuase the school is good there....).

I am aware that responses will all be subjective opinions driven my an individuals thoughts based on their life perceptions.....but as we do not have the luxury of an LSD, the opinions of this board and it's anonymous (and hopefully therefore truthful) individuals goes a long way to helping create a mental image.....

Nix
Surfers is certainly "hectic, and full of people and high rise buildings" but there are many parts of the Gold Coast and its hinterland which are much quieter and pleasanter to live in
Old Nov 25th 2008, 2:15 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Gold Coast - hectic tourist spot, or laid back haven?

Gold Coast can be characterless new built estates with houses on tiny pieces of land.
Gold Coast can be older suburb with bigger blocks and established communities with local shops.
Gold Coast can be waterside living with your luxury yatch moored at the end of your personal boat ramp.
Gold Coast can be 'new age' living in a small community on a mountain top.
Gold Coast can be artistic creative artisans living in a studio and selling their product to tourists.
Gold Coast can be high-rise/ Penthouse living complete with a materialistic young life with nightclubs and booze.
Gold Coast can be a permanent static caravan in a Caravan Park.
Gold Coast can be in a Mansion with live in help on an exclusive Island.
Gold Coast can be a run down house with junk in the yard too close to a main road and your neighbours.
Gold Coast can be living in lush green Hinterland not being able to see your neighbours house and only cows and chooks for company.

The Gold Coast is a very diverse place indeed..... High Rise bit is just Surfers Paradise, yes it's got a big personality but it's only a small part of the Gold Coast.

But I would agree to base your choice of location primarily on schools.

Best Wishes,

Jan

Jan (lives in the second location type)
Old Nov 25th 2008, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice

Jan - what a great reply !

Can I ask where you live?

Thanks!
Nix
Old Nov 25th 2008, 6:14 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Is this true?

Nix
good choice mate
we lived in varsity for 7 months overlooking lake orr prior to buying at worongary, which is just on the other side of the M1 and our daughter goes to varsity lakes college, you wont be disapointed

now surfers is the busiest part of the goldcoast without doubt but hetic nar
certainly not, not even in the hieght of summer

regards steve

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/lifestyl...old-coast.html
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/outdoors...ctivities.html

have a good look at this site as it does show a good deal of the diversity of the area from the busy
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/outdoors...eme-parks.html
to the more laid back
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/outdoors...n-forests.html

Last edited by steve`o; Nov 25th 2008 at 6:24 pm. Reason: added link to goldcoast
Old Nov 25th 2008, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

AussieDiva is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

My self, my OH and our two girls (4 yrs and 7 months) are moving back to Oz in early 09 and we plan to find a place to rent on the Gold Coast...I've been concerned too that it might be too crazy (I'm originally from Melbourne) and although I've visited before I've never been there as a mum looking for a family kinda vibe!

I looked at Varsity Lakes just yesterday - also Helensvale looks quite chilled too.

Nat
Old Nov 25th 2008, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Helensvale is an older suburb. Convenient for the motorway, shops etc. Plenty of English people in Helensvale.

I quite liked the idea of Helensvale myself but I was worried about the motorway noise. It is a nice leafy suburb though.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
Helensvale is an older suburb. Convenient for the motorway, shops etc. Plenty of English people in Helensvale.

I quite liked the idea of Helensvale myself but I was worried about the motorway noise. It is a nice leafy suburb though.
Thanks for that - where would you suggest for a young family (we are in our early 30's) who would like a degree of space, green and privacy but don't want to be relegated to deep dark suburbia just yet! Robina?

Nat
Old Nov 25th 2008, 8:53 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AussieDiva
Thanks for that - where would you suggest for a young family (we are in our early 30's) who would like a degree of space, green and privacy but don't want to be relegated to deep dark suburbia just yet! Robina?

Nat
mudgeeraba, benogin, worongary, gilston, all witin 5 to 10 minutes of robina but with bigger and more private blocks

look on google maps it clearly shows where built up areas etc are

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...qld&iwloc=addr

Last edited by steve`o; Nov 25th 2008 at 8:55 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

flodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really nice

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2

Your right about the english people. We live in Coomera waters near Helensvale. Yesterday we had a Austar man around and a pool man around both pomes, We went to pick the kids school uniform up the lady in the uniform shop was a pome then fruit and veg shop woman was to. The good thing was everyone we spoke to was very happy living here.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steve`o
mudgeeraba, benogin, worongary, gilston, all witin 5 to 10 minutes of robina but with bigger and more private blocks

look on google maps it clearly shows where built up areas etc are

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...qld&iwloc=addr
Just had a look - thankk for the link , I was able to compare the areas you mentioned with the catchment area for Clover Hill and Robina Primary Schools...Mudgeeraba looks to be in Clover Hill's catchment...from other threads it sounds as if both schools are fab.

Tricky tho isn't it - having to rent first and put kids into school knowing you may have to move them if you buy elsewhere!

What about further north - Nerang any good?

My OH will feel very home if there are Poms everywhere!!!

Nat
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:49 pm
Worongary

Originally Posted by AussieDiva
Just had a look - thankk for the link , I was able to compare the areas you mentioned with the catchment area for Clover Hill and Robina Primary Schools...Mudgeeraba looks to be in Clover Hill's catchment...from other threads it sounds as if both schools are fab.

Tricky tho isn't it - having to rent first and put kids into school knowing you may have to move them if you buy elsewhere!

What about further north - Nerang any good?

My OH will feel very home if there are Poms everywhere!!!

Nat
i dont know about anywhere else but if youve enroled your kids in varsity and you stay in the catchment area for 6 months then move they dont ask you leave

mmm wonder if that why we stayed in varsity for 7 months ??

nerang has a reputation and alot of housing commision property ( similiar to uk council houses ) hence the lower property and rental values,
Old Nov 26th 2008, 12:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
i dont know about anywhere else but if youve enroled your kids in varsity and you stay in the catchment area for 6 months then move they dont ask you leave

mmm wonder if that why we stayed in varsity for 7 months ??

nerang has a reputation and alot of housing commision property ( similiar to uk council houses ) hence the lower property and rental values,
There are some lovely bits of Nerang and it's central, lots of people like it and I've never been able to really pin people down on the 'reputation'. Anyway let's face it, if it was a choice between Nerang and and town with a reputation in the UK, where would any of us pick The back end of Nerang is ok and the place is close enough to both hinterland and beaches and Gilston is close by which is a nice area.

I hate people asking about suburbs, never sure what to say Just because I like or dislike somewhere, means sod all to someone else with a different perspective. Maybe I should just shut up (some hope ).
Old Nov 26th 2008, 12:07 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Jan - what a great reply !

Can I ask where you live?

Thanks!
Nix
We live in Gaven, it is not classed as a good suburb. I would put it in the same category as Nerang, but Nerang has more of a of High Street/community feel. Both are seen as 'Bogan' places, but as anywhere, there are good and bad alongside each other.

Our circumstances at the time meant we had little time to research areas/ High schools...although that was the plan all along as we'd made that mistake previously in Adelaide *sigh*

Sounds like you have your head screwed on and your expectations set to 'realistic' so I don't think you'll do to bad.

Good Luck with your emigration adventure

Jan

I too have heard good about Varsity College.

I'm afraid to say that you won't really know until you get here....one mans meat etc.....
Old Nov 26th 2008, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

hunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the rough

Is this true?

Nix

Hi, We also chose Varsity Lakes due to the good reputation of the school, eventually we would like a larger block in the hinterland but feel for the moment our son (age 10) needs to live in an area close to his school and the friends we hope he will make, we are currently renting but will try and buy here once we secure jobs,
We are enjoying the Varsity life style, cafes close by, great walks around the lake with a spot of fishing and only 10 mins from a great beach, we have found it very laid back.

Claire

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.