Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gold Coast - First living destination!

Gold Coast - First living destination!

Old Nov 9th 2005, 7:01 am
Just Joined

Sir Slippery is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gold Coast - First living destination!

Hi All

Firstly a big thank you to all the positive reading about moving to Oz, I keep having serious doubts and keep changing my mind about going.!

We have decided after living in England for 9 years (my wife is an Ozzie) that it is time to move to her hometown of Benowa - Gold Coast to be near her family as they enter there twilight years.

I was wandering what other Expats experiences of living on the Gold Coast are, work prospects, etc

Most people seem to gravitate to the big city's, personally I would rather live in Melbourne but due to the family ties we think it makes sense to live on the Gold Coast.

I have some concerns based on past visits, mostly being how dam hot it is in the summer, it's ok for a holiday period, my wife's mum always comes to England to escape the heat and humidity! Also I rarely meet Expats who actually live on the Gold Coast do they exist?

Many thanks

Si
Old Nov 9th 2005, 7:07 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gold Coast - First living destination!

Originally Posted by Sir Slippery
Hi All

Firstly a big thank you to all the positive reading about moving to Oz, I keep having serious doubts and keep changing my mind about going.!

We have decided after living in England for 9 years (my wife is an Ozzie) that it is time to move to her hometown of Benowa - Gold Coast to be near her family as they enter there twilight years.

I was wandering what other Expats experiences of living on the Gold Coast are, work prospects, etc

Most people seem to gravitate to the big city's, personally I would rather live in Melbourne but due to the family ties we think it makes sense to live on the Gold Coast.

I have some concerns based on past visits, mostly being how dam hot it is in the summer, it's ok for a holiday period, my wife's mum always comes to England to escape the heat and humidity! Also I rarely meet Expats who actually live on the Gold Coast do they exist?

Many thanks

Si
Hi Si

Hi there! We are headed for Ashmore just round the corner from Benowa! I also know other members from British Expats that live in Upper Coomera, Runaway Bay, Nerang, Varsity Lakes, Pacific Pines..... the list goes on! There are also many current members that are headed for the GC next year.

My parents have lived in Ashmore for almost 20 years too!

My mum & I run a meet & greet company specifically for the Gold Coast... www.goldcoastsmile.com - we are going to have one heck of a party when the rest of us arrive in 2006!

Claire
Old Nov 9th 2005, 7:10 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Hi Si

Hi there! We are headed for Ashmore just round the corner from Benowa! I also know other members from British Expats that live in Upper Coomera, Runaway Bay, Nerang, Varsity Lakes, Pacific Pines..... the list goes on! There are also many current members that are headed for the GC next year.

My mum & I run a meet & greet company specifically for the Gold Coast... www.goldcoastsmile.com - we are going to have one heck of a party when the rest of us arrive in 2006!

Claire

And still waitin for me bleedin INVITE !
Old Nov 9th 2005, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold

Hi All

Many thanks

Si
Hi Si,

I have been living on the GC for 20 months now, and I love everything about it, there are quite a few of us living here from expats, and also a lot coming so you should get a few replies. Yes it is very hot in the summer months but somehow you cope, don't think I could without air con though! There is something here for everyone and I think thats what appeals to a lot of people, I have met a lot of expats living here, the Gold Coast seems to be made up of people from all over the place, mostly Australians who come to live here from other states for the year round weather.

Benowa is a lovely area, I'm sure you'll settle really well, and your wife will have no problems as her family are here. Good luck, you'll be one of the many expats on the coast

Lisa
Old Nov 9th 2005, 7:19 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
And still waitin for me bleedin INVITE !
Oh I am sory Mr Webmaster you Loganite you! LOL

"I woud like to cordially invite you to the biggest BBQ of the year at wherever Claire & Steve (plus rugrats) end up living on the Gold Coast in 2006, where you will be guranteed at least 2 botles of the attached as previously discussed!" (hope its the right one!)

LMFAO

C
Attached Thumbnails Gold Coast - First living destination!-randalls_1869_73683630.jpg  
Old Nov 10th 2005, 6:51 am
Just Joined

Thank you for the replies, i may take you up on your kind offers when we are closer to arriving, pending spouse visa being granted.

Strangely I'm feeling homesick and nostalgic for England and I haven't even left yets, do I stand a chance??

Take care

Si
Old Nov 10th 2005, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Many thanks

Si
Hi

Early days for us but we in the Gold coast...well Currumbin Water and we're loving it!!! We're about 15/20 mins from Surfers, only 3 mins to Palm beach its a cool place to be

All the best
Sue x
Old Nov 10th 2005, 7:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sue2
Hi

Early days for us but we in the Gold coast...well Currumbin Water and we're loving it!!! We're about 15/20 mins from Surfers, only 3 mins to Palm beach its a cool place to be

All the best
Sue x
Thanks for the message Sue

How are you finding Currumbin Water, thats one place my wife has been looking at to live?
Old Nov 10th 2005, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the message Sue

How are you finding Currumbin Water, thats one place my wife has been looking at to live?

We love it here! its pretty, houses have plenty of garden, has a small but good shopping centre called The Pines and its a really friendly/family place, most people here are Australian doesn't seem to may Expats here. Elanora is also really nice, we love both areas as they close to the beach and not over busy...if you want the bigger shopping centres you just hope in the car and your there in 15 mins

If you need any help or info I'm happy to help

Sue
Old Nov 10th 2005, 7:06 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I am sory Mr Webmaster you Loganite you! LOL

"I woud like to cordially invite you to the biggest BBQ of the year at wherever Claire & Steve (plus rugrats) end up living on the Gold Coast in 2006, where you will be guranteed at least 2 botles of the attached as previously discussed!" (hope its the right one!)

LMFAO

C

Awwwwww

Just a 6 pack of turkey n coke from bottle shop will do

Im cheap !!!

Well lookin fwd to yas gerrin here, be nice to meet some expats at last lol

Steve
Old Nov 10th 2005, 10:15 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Si

Claire
I'm in Runaway Bay with the MIL at the mo. When we move out we are looking to buy in the Upper Coomera, Coomera or Helensvale. Still not quite decided which.
Can't wait for the big party, count us in.

Marie