Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gold Coast - Any areas to avoid?

Gold Coast - Any areas to avoid?

Old Jan 31st 2006, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

fluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud of
Default Gold Coast - Any areas to avoid?

Hi,

Could any of you lucky people already livng on the Gold Coast (or have lived there) please tell me which are the areas to avoid?

We are looking for family suburbs that aren't mega expensive please?

Many thanks for your help
Marie
Old Jan 31st 2006, 5:32 am
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gold Coast - Any areas to avoid?

Hi
We live in Redland Bay but have been told that places like Ormeau and Pimpama are good places to invest. I know they're probably not as close to the coast as you would like, but there are new builds gong up everywhere, and they're supposed to be the next big boom areas in QLD.

They are close to the freeway thus your only about 35-40 mins from Brisbane and 10 mins from the coast.

Hope this helps
Old Jan 31st 2006, 6:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fluffy1
Hi,

Could any of you lucky people already livng on the Gold Coast (or have lived there) please tell me which are the areas to avoid?

Marie
Hard one to be honest. Obviously the closer to the sea, the higher the price. Also the area around Broadbeach, Mermaid Waters are pricier than other areas. And Main Beach is another level

Burleigh Waters and around there is quite good value as is Currumbin and the bottom end. Not so sure about the top end - you will need advice from someone living up there.

Robina is a nice area. Actually I haven't found an area that should be avoided yet. People did tell me not to go Southport/Labrador but having driven through, can't see a problem and there are plenty of people living there who love it so horses for courses.

There are web sites that give some info on suburbs but I didn't find them very useful tbh. Only a handful of suburbs listed so not enough info.

Best bit of advice I can give is get yourselves here, stay in a holiday rental for a few weeks and just drive around and get a feel. We soon got a gut feeling about where we wanted to be.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Nov 17th 2009 at 9:13 am.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 8:40 am
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

Marie
As Moneypen has said have a good sticky beek about Benowa not so good Surfers is a bit busy and bit resort like. We love any where from Burliegh south
Best beach has gotta be Kirra north or south but they are quiet just how we like it.
Currumbin comes a very close second by Elephant rock and the cafe's
Schools seem to be best round Robina / Mudgeeraba areas.
We are just awating a decent property to surface anywhere from Willow Vale down to the border.
As for Ormeau i agree massive development going on at the moment but i would say that its not the nicest of areas, my opinion first hand before i am shot down

Good Luck
Old Jan 31st 2006, 9:15 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Marie
Hi Marie
Please feel free to check out my website's store http://www.goldcoastsmile.com/smile_store.htm as there is a great free download on there for Gold Coast Suburbs. Please feel free to ask any questions you have.
Regards,
Claire
Old Jan 31st 2006, 9:41 am
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Hi Marie
Please feel free to check out my website's store http://www.goldcoastsmile.com/smile_store.htm as there is a great free download on there for Gold Coast Suburbs. Please feel free to ask any questions you have.
Regards,
Claire

What a super site wish i had seen it before would have saved me a few thousand Ks driving.

It all sounds so wonderful

Maybe because it is eh?
Old Jan 31st 2006, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Southport and Labrador get a little flack because there tends to be a bit of industry in those areas. I guess it depends on what you want and how much your willing to pay for it. I still think that it's a great place with no bad areas that come anywhere near bad areas from back home. Part of the fun is going around and discovering these places.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

The GC is such a cool place and there is so many different areas to choose from.

My advice would be 'if possible' give yourself time to have a good look around, visit the areas you like at different times of day/night....you'll know when you've found the right one

All the best

Sue x
Old Jan 31st 2006, 10:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bed Of Roses
What a super site wish i had seen it before would have saved me a few thousand Ks driving.
You can't beat the thousands of ks driving round. The written word will only tell you so much. Still have to see with your eyes and your heart
Old Jan 31st 2006, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Marie

Hi Marie,

Most of the replies have been spot on but you will have to come and do a reccie to decide for sure as you will only know what grabs you as all areas offer so much. I can vouch for the northern end as I have lived here for nearly 3 years now.It is not cheap up here though but there are some very nice areas that are on the northern end that are not as pricey. I will give you a rough idea though.

Sanctuary Cove/Sovereign Islands/Ephraim Island/Hope Island/Oyster Cove/Monterey Keys are fantastic but a bit pricey or very pricey :scared:

Paradise Point/Runaway Bay/ A bit cheaper/older and near the water.

Oxonford/Upper Coomera/Arundle a lot cheaper and inland.

There are so many more places that come to mind as I am posting but they will mean nothing to you til you see them for yourself.

I wish you Good luck with your choices
Old Jan 31st 2006, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

jarv is on a distinguished road

hi
we moved to helensvale 2 weeks ago and think it is really nice, labrador is a fairly industrious place and is quite busy but still not bad, in fact, i haven't seen any really run down places on the G.C

dave
Old Jan 31st 2006, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jarv
hi
we moved to helensvale 2 weeks ago and think it is really nice, labrador is a fairly industrious place and is quite busy but still not bad, in fact, i haven't seen any really run down places on the G.C

dave

Jarv, how are you getting on with the white ants in Helensvale? If you are renting that won't be a problem though
Old Jan 31st 2006, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jarv
hi

dave

You are only a 3 iron away from me!!!!.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 11:15 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bed Of Roses

It all sounds so wonderful

Maybe because it is eh?
Thankyou very much! Please come & join our community to receive your newsletter & also sign the guestbook! If you still have any questions as a resident please just ask!
Claire
x
Old Jan 31st 2006, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

jarv is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Gold Coaster
You are only a 3 iron away from me!!!!.

do you play ??
white ants no problem so far although, having bought the house, i will be keeping a keen eye out for the little bu$$ers

dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.