Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gold Coast advise please

Gold Coast advise please

Old Aug 21st 2008, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

yasmin111 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gold Coast advise please

To all those sunning themselves on the Gold Coast could I have some advice please.

Having been a few times on holiday there my husband and I would like to settle there in the next 2 years however not exactly sure where on the Gold Coast, we were looking more south ie Varsity Lakes, Burleigh etc but would appreciate any thoughts/experiences on good schools and nice areas. I work as a radiographer and there is no problem of me getting a job as there are various private clinics/hospitals all over that I could work at its more the living aspect we are after.

Thanks
Old Aug 21st 2008, 7:52 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gold Coast advise please

Originally Posted by yasmin111
To all those sunning themselves on the Gold Coast could I have some advice please.

Having been a few times on holiday there my husband and I would like to settle there in the next 2 years however not exactly sure where on the Gold Coast, we were looking more south ie Varsity Lakes, Burleigh etc but would appreciate any thoughts/experiences on good schools and nice areas. I work as a radiographer and there is no problem of me getting a job as there are various private clinics/hospitals all over that I could work at its more the living aspect we are after.

Thanks

http://varsitycollege.eq.edu.au/wcmss/index.php
my daughter has attended for the last two years its a good school with good results, you do however have to live within the schools strict boundries to attend

hope this helps
regards steve
Old Aug 21st 2008, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

hi i work on the coast & love the place but allways wanted a bit more space, so move 40mins inland, we found a goverment site that rates schools by the op results, we have helped several familys that work at the hospital did you know if you get a job at goverment hospital they will help you with relocation cost GARY
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

Hi, after we came over on our validation trip, we looked seriously at Varsity lakes - school and properties.. However, when we came back to live here, decided on Robina.. School seems reasonable, (daughter had 1 yr to go)
and properties had more land(bigger blocks) Haven't looked back, and love being so central to everything.. including the motorway.
Sorry if it's garbled.. it is friday evening and i'm on my second glass of sparkling pinot noir!!!
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 8:33 am
Just Joined

yasmin111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for this information, it is definately where we want to end up!
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 9:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Any of the high schools in the southern half of the coast are excellent (as are the top half but there are a couple up there that are very slightly lower in perceived view). We are right at the bottom - a bit more space and greenery around us than up around Varsity and we're closer to the best beaches. Good luck with your decision. If you want any more info, feel free to ask.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

helena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sa2uk2oz
Hi, after we came over on our validation trip, we looked seriously at Varsity lakes - school and properties.. However, when we came back to live here, decided on Robina.. School seems reasonable, (daughter had 1 yr to go)
and properties had more land(bigger blocks) Haven't looked back, and love being so central to everything.. including the motorway.
Sorry if it's garbled.. it is friday evening and i'm on my second glass of sparkling pinot noir!!!
Hi,

I like the luck of Robina as well. The house prices seem to have leveled off as when I was looking a few months ago the houses seemed very expensive. Do they have good state schools there? We are heading early 09 and have children aged 8 & 5. Thanks in advance
Helena
Old Aug 24th 2008, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Jamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by calNgary
hi i work on the coast & love the place but allways wanted a bit more space, so move 40mins inland, we found a goverment site that rates schools by the op results, we have helped several familys that work at the hospital did you know if you get a job at goverment hospital they will help you with relocation cost GARY
Hi Gary

Just read your post and wondered if you could let me know the web site you mentioned that rates schools. We have booked our flights for 23rd Oct and are thinking about Robina and Varsity Lakes, but would be interesting to take a look at the web site in any case. Thanks in advance. Clare
Old Aug 24th 2008, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Katehn will become famous soon enoughKatehn will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Any of the high schools in the southern half of the coast are excellent (as are the top half but there are a couple up there that are very slightly lower in perceived view). We are right at the bottom - a bit more space and greenery around us than up around Varsity and we're closer to the best beaches. Good luck with your decision. If you want any more info, feel free to ask.
Hi , What part are you in ? We are in Caloundra at the moment, but are considering moving to the GC as wages are better..

I only really know surfers, which is ok for a day out, so need to find out about the other suburbs and primary schools.

I would prefer to stay near the sea ( like we are here).

Apart from Surfers what areas would you avoid as a place to live.

Thanks for any advice you can give

Kate
Old Aug 25th 2008, 10:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katehn
Hi , What part are you in ? We are in Caloundra at the moment, but are considering moving to the GC as wages are better..

I only really know surfers, which is ok for a day out, so need to find out about the other suburbs and primary schools.

I would prefer to stay near the sea ( like we are here).

Apart from Surfers what areas would you avoid as a place to live.

Thanks for any advice you can give

Kate
Don't know as I should. Quite like the fact that very very few come down here to live Currumbin, Currumbin Valley and Tallebudgera Valley are fab although the last two are further back and so a bit further from 'civilisation' depending on what you consider civilisation anyway

I can't give you ones I'd avoid because it's a personal choice and it's not because there actually anything wrong with them, I just wouldn't want to live in them. Lots of people do, so it would be unfair. Basically, all suburbs have something for someone and there's no really dodgy bits.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Nov 17th 2009 at 8:26 am.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Everywhere seems pretty nice down here, our daughter goes to varsity college and absolutely loves it.

For us varsity is far south enough regarding commuting although for some this won't be a problem? I wouldn't agree that everywhere down south is good though - as part of my job i visit families in their own homes and there are some pretty rough areas/people around palm beach and elanora as i have experienced first hand...palmy army and all that.

depending on what you're after robina/varsity will fit the bill for most families as it is a growth area but is getting towards completion. However a lot of houses in varsity are being built as townhouses/units, but there are nice, detached houses as well. We went out into varsity central last thursday night and it was 'buzzing' really good atmosphere in the restaurants (about 6of) and nice, modern bars/cafes - the area is really taking off now in our opinion

Robina town centre will be awesome when completed too and both areas have train stations (well varsity will in a couple of years!!).

we love it compared to oxenford to be precise which we found a bit 'feral'
Old Aug 25th 2008, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

lisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to all

depends on what you call rough really, in my opinion i didnt find any thing as rough as some of the places back here!! and i come from a very nice part of wales, but everyones version of "ROUGH" can be very different from others, i worked in a salon with lots of girls, and one day one of them said "oh my god i would never live in******** cause last week someone got their number plate stolen" i was like NEVER! so come on you cant get much worse than the uk right now, and dont forget theres no such thing as a perfect place, suburb, town city i could go on!!! but this is just my opinion and i lived in currumbin and have friends in palm beach, elanora and they are v. nice and have lived there a while and have never been stabbed, glassed or robbed so make your own mind up! lisax
Old Aug 25th 2008, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of lightJohnandMichelle is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by helena39
Hi,

I like the luck of Robina as well. The house prices seem to have leveled off as when I was looking a few months ago the houses seemed very expensive. Do they have good state schools there? We are heading early 09 and have children aged 8 & 5. Thanks in advance
Helena

Hi Helena - I'm from Galway and we lived in Robina for a couple of years before moving to Mudgeeraba. Our youngest, who's 11, goes to Robina State. My cousin moved here from Dublin in March and his daughter, 9, also goes to Robina. Its a great school and both kids doing really well there. They've just bought a house in Robina. Very central for everything and a great place to start off renting. Best of luck. Michelle x
Old Aug 25th 2008, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

helena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JohnandMichelle
Hi Helena - I'm from Galway and we lived in Robina for a couple of years before moving to Mudgeeraba. Our youngest, who's 11, goes to Robina State. My cousin moved here from Dublin in March and his daughter, 9, also goes to Robina. Its a great school and both kids doing really well there. They've just bought a house in Robina. Very central for everything and a great place to start off renting. Best of luck. Michelle x
Thanks Michelle, that's good to know. I do like the look of robina. We are hoping to be there by early 09. My OH is a baker. Do you think that area would be good for work as a baker. I have many years of expericence in retail work as well as office work? Can I be your friend Thanks in advance
Helena
Old Aug 26th 2008, 5:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by sammyg
I wouldn't agree that everywhere down south is good though - as part of my job i visit families in their own homes and there are some pretty rough areas/people around palm beach and elanora as i have experienced first hand...palmy army and all that.
That's good. Keep selling that line. Suits me. Everyone move to Varsity, don't come down here, it's shit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.