British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   gold coast (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/gold-coast-894902/)

jon111 Apr 3rd 2017 8:51 pm

gold coast

hi all applying for my visa now and went on a visit last november and loved the gold coast area.

i have a few questions

first im a plumber and wondering what the average wage around the gold coast for a plumber is and how easy is it to find work?

second my fiance ( got engaged in byron bay on the visit ) yay! she does admin and is on a project management course with jaguar landrover at the moment, would she be able to find work on the gold coast? or is it the dreaded drive to brisbane?

much love
jon

moneypenny20 Apr 4th 2017 11:42 am

Re: gold coast

Originally Posted by jon111 (Post 12220609)
hi all applying for my visa now and went on a visit last november and loved the gold coast area.

i have a few questions

first im a plumber and wondering what the average wage around the gold coast for a plumber is and how easy is it to find work?

second my fiance ( got engaged in byron bay on the visit ) yay! she does admin and is on a project management course with jaguar landrover at the moment, would she be able to find work on the gold coast? or is it the dreaded drive to brisbane?

much love
jon

No idea about plumbing sorry but your fiancee shouldn't have a problem with finding work if she's good, keen and puts herself about (in the nicest possible way). Not to say there are masses of jobs but if she makes the effort she should be ok. Congrats on the engagement. :)

jon111 Apr 4th 2017 6:41 pm

thats good to know im worried about her getting work thats local (ish)

so now anyone know how construction is around the gold coast or better yet any plumbers on here know the wages in the area for plumbers etc?

verystormy Apr 5th 2017 4:44 am

Originally Posted by jon111 (Post 12221592)

thats good to know im worried about her getting work thats local (ish)

so now anyone know how construction is around the gold coast or better yet any plumbers on here know the wages in the area for plumbers etc?

One of the things you need to look at is that you will not be able to work as a plumber immediately as it is a licensed occupation. So you will need a QLD licence. It varies by state but as a guide you will need to work for about a year supervised as a trade assistant (bit like an apprentice) and undertake some college courses.

jon111 Apr 5th 2017 6:07 pm

iv seen reference to this. is it tafe in QLD? apparently theres a few you can go through dont know if this is true? Is there a place i can get info on costs of retraining to aus standards? any info would be great as theres so much on the net im never sure where to start!

moneypenny20 Apr 6th 2017 12:41 am

Originally Posted by jon111 (Post 12222385)
iv seen reference to this. is it tafe in QLD? apparently theres a few you can go through dont know if this is true? Is there a place i can get info on costs of retraining to aus standards? any info would be great as theres so much on the net im never sure where to start!

Have a look through the Plumbers Forum. Not just Aus there but all Aus info should be.