British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   The Gold Coast (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/gold-coast-640443/)

Domenic Nov 13th 2009 6:05 am

The Gold Coast

Hi Guys,
We are currently living in Cairns and contemplating the potential of a move to the Gold Coast, I know it is a bigger and busier place. Just wondering what the lifestyle is like down there, and also the cost of living I can imagine food and Petrol being a little cheaper down south.

Are property rentals more expensive, we are currenntly paying $325 a week for a two bedroom furnished unit, that was built about 2 years ago?

Is anybody working in the education system on the gold coast both state and private?

Really hope someone can offer us some advice,

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards

Dom

kimandken Nov 13th 2009 7:44 am

Re: The Gold Coast

Originally Posted by Domenic (Post 8096234)
Hi Guys,
We are currently living in Cairns and contemplating the potential of a move to the Gold Coast, I know it is a bigger and busier place. Just wondering what the lifestyle is like down there, and also the cost of living I can imagine food and Petrol being a little cheaper down south.

Are property rentals more expensive, we are currenntly paying $325 a week for a two bedroom furnished unit, that was built about 2 years ago?

Is anybody working in the education system on the gold coast both state and private?

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards

Dom

Hi, here is a link for petrol prices

http://motormouth.com.au/pricesearch.aspx

Link for rentals in Gold Coast

http://www.realestate.com.au/directo...st_region.html

Sorry thats all i can help you with :o

Good luck

Kim

Gav_71 Nov 13th 2009 7:53 am

I guess it depends what you are into. Having been in Australia for 18 months, all of it spent on the GC, I have to say I won't stay here long term. I have travelled the country pretty extensively since I got here and the GC ranks probably last in terms of where I want to settle.

There is simply too much of the Benidorm factor. Compared to other parts of Oz, I find the GC tacky and the people generally ignorant and lazy. It is also quite rough in terms of nightlife. If I had teenagers, I wouldn't want them going out round here.

That said, the beaches are incredible and among the best u will likely find anywhere. The Hinterland is also beautiful. So I guess it really depends on how close u "need" to be to the water. I would be perfectly happy living in Brisbane and travelling to the beach when it suits me. It is after all only an hour away.

I am sure there are heaps of people who will totally disagree with me but the GC is not for me long term.

Gav

doub Nov 13th 2009 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Gav_71 (Post 8096406)
There is simply too much of the Benidorm factor. Compared to other parts of Oz, I find the GC tacky and the people generally ignorant and lazy.
Gav

This seems to be a commonly held view on this forum, I totally disagree. The Gold Coast is a large area and Benidorm is not how I would describe it. It is a tacky in Surfers, but if you can't take it for what it is, you can always drive around. As for the whole of GC I find the people friendly and helpful, the scenery diverse and dramatic and the lifestyle 'holiday mode'
Before I moved to Aus 6 years ago I always thought (mainly from info on this forum) that I would dislike GC and prefer the Sunshine Coast, I soon realised the opposite was true for me and my family.

Mark :)

calNgary Nov 13th 2009 9:20 pm

I think to experience the real Gold Coast you either need to be towards the southern end Currumbin, Coolangatta, Kirra etc or the Hinterland side, Tallai, Mudgerraba, Bonogin. All these places are beautiful and seem worlds apart from the tourist hustle and bustle of Southport and Surfers.

As with any country where you have lots of tourists and densely populated areas you will find slightly more crime.

Cal x

Lord_Farquar Nov 13th 2009 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Domenic (Post 8096234)
Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards

Dom

Having been to both places. I would definately stay in Cairns. But it is your choice at the end of the day. I would think job opps are better in the GC.

I would have a visit - see if you like it. One visit was enough for me.

oz miller man Nov 16th 2009 5:54 am

Originally Posted by calNgary (Post 8097648)
I think to experience the real Gold Coast you either need to be towards the southern end Currumbin, Coolangatta, Kirra etc or the Hinterland side, Tallai, Mudgerraba, Bonogin. All these places are beautiful and seem worlds apart from the tourist hustle and bustle of Southport and Surfers.

As with any country where you have lots of tourists and densely populated areas you will find slightly more crime.

Cal x

i agree, the goldy gets better the further south you go from surfers and if travel for work or the time difference is not an issue north nsw is even better and cheaper :thumbup:
check rental prices at cabarita, ocean shores, pottsville and kingscliff.
for $325 a week you can get a 3 bed+ house short walk to beach

moneypenny20 Nov 16th 2009 7:50 am

Don't send any migrants down here please. Quite civilised and not too many Brits so please stay up the other end. It's awful down here, really crap, you'd all hate it.:sneaky:

sammyg Nov 16th 2009 10:02 am

:rolleyes:

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 8101443)
Don't send any migrants down here please. Quite civilised and not too many Brits so please stay up the other end. It's awful down here, really crap, you'd all hate it.:sneaky:

:rolleyes: not that old chestnut!!
are you having a laugh...not many poms in **********phaaaa!!

sammyg Nov 16th 2009 10:12 am

We are really happy on the goldie and we have friends that live all over the GC!
They are ALL very happy where they live as they have made themselves a GOOD life (north/south..wherever), so much so...they don't really come on here anymore!

moneypenny20 Nov 16th 2009 11:30 am

Originally Posted by sammyg (Post 8101617)
:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: not that old chestnut!!
are you having a laugh...not many poms in*********...phaaaa!!

You can't read obviously. Not to worry, can't be helped.

sammyg Nov 16th 2009 7:44 pm

You are completely predictable Moneypen...and completely boring!
You've been spouting out the same crap for years:zzz:

Dorothy Nov 17th 2009 12:27 am

Originally Posted by sammyg (Post 8102816)

Can we please cut out the insults? Perhaps a read of the site rules, particularly rule 1 would be in order.

Lord_Farquar Nov 17th 2009 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 8103394)
Can we please cut out the insults? Perhaps a read of the site rules, particularly rule 1 would be in order.

Agreed.

Bernieboy Nov 17th 2009 12:35 am

Originally Posted by sammyg (Post 8102816)

OMG ban her ban her how dare she speak like that to a MOD,im shocked and stunned:lol: