The Gold Coast

Old Nov 13th 2009, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

Domenic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Gold Coast

Hi Guys,
We are currently living in Cairns and contemplating the potential of a move to the Gold Coast, I know it is a bigger and busier place. Just wondering what the lifestyle is like down there, and also the cost of living I can imagine food and Petrol being a little cheaper down south.

Are property rentals more expensive, we are currenntly paying $325 a week for a two bedroom furnished unit, that was built about 2 years ago?

Is anybody working in the education system on the gold coast both state and private?

Really hope someone can offer us some advice,

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards

Dom
Old Nov 13th 2009, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

kimandken will become famous soon enoughkimandken will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Gold Coast

Originally Posted by Domenic
Hi Guys,
We are currently living in Cairns and contemplating the potential of a move to the Gold Coast, I know it is a bigger and busier place. Just wondering what the lifestyle is like down there, and also the cost of living I can imagine food and Petrol being a little cheaper down south.

Are property rentals more expensive, we are currenntly paying $325 a week for a two bedroom furnished unit, that was built about 2 years ago?

Is anybody working in the education system on the gold coast both state and private?

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards

Dom
Hi, here is a link for petrol prices

http://motormouth.com.au/pricesearch.aspx

Link for rentals in Gold Coast

http://www.realestate.com.au/directo...st_region.html

Sorry thats all i can help you with

Good luck

Kim
Old Nov 13th 2009, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Gav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to allGav_71 is a name known to all

I guess it depends what you are into. Having been in Australia for 18 months, all of it spent on the GC, I have to say I won't stay here long term. I have travelled the country pretty extensively since I got here and the GC ranks probably last in terms of where I want to settle.

There is simply too much of the Benidorm factor. Compared to other parts of Oz, I find the GC tacky and the people generally ignorant and lazy. It is also quite rough in terms of nightlife. If I had teenagers, I wouldn't want them going out round here.

That said, the beaches are incredible and among the best u will likely find anywhere. The Hinterland is also beautiful. So I guess it really depends on how close u "need" to be to the water. I would be perfectly happy living in Brisbane and travelling to the beach when it suits me. It is after all only an hour away.

I am sure there are heaps of people who will totally disagree with me but the GC is not for me long term.

Gav
Old Nov 13th 2009, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Gav_71
There is simply too much of the Benidorm factor. Compared to other parts of Oz, I find the GC tacky and the people generally ignorant and lazy.
Gav

This seems to be a commonly held view on this forum, I totally disagree. The Gold Coast is a large area and Benidorm is not how I would describe it. It is a tacky in Surfers, but if you can't take it for what it is, you can always drive around. As for the whole of GC I find the people friendly and helpful, the scenery diverse and dramatic and the lifestyle 'holiday mode'
Before I moved to Aus 6 years ago I always thought (mainly from info on this forum) that I would dislike GC and prefer the Sunshine Coast, I soon realised the opposite was true for me and my family.

Mark
Old Nov 13th 2009, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

I think to experience the real Gold Coast you either need to be towards the southern end Currumbin, Coolangatta, Kirra etc or the Hinterland side, Tallai, Mudgerraba, Bonogin. All these places are beautiful and seem worlds apart from the tourist hustle and bustle of Southport and Surfers.

As with any country where you have lots of tourists and densely populated areas you will find slightly more crime.

Cal x
Old Nov 13th 2009, 9:55 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domenic
Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance,

Best Regards

Dom
Having been to both places. I would definately stay in Cairns. But it is your choice at the end of the day. I would think job opps are better in the GC.

I would have a visit - see if you like it. One visit was enough for me.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by calNgary
I think to experience the real Gold Coast you either need to be towards the southern end Currumbin, Coolangatta, Kirra etc or the Hinterland side, Tallai, Mudgerraba, Bonogin. All these places are beautiful and seem worlds apart from the tourist hustle and bustle of Southport and Surfers.

As with any country where you have lots of tourists and densely populated areas you will find slightly more crime.

Cal x
i agree, the goldy gets better the further south you go from surfers and if travel for work or the time difference is not an issue north nsw is even better and cheaper
check rental prices at cabarita, ocean shores, pottsville and kingscliff.
for $325 a week you can get a 3 bed+ house short walk to beach
Old Nov 16th 2009, 7:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't send any migrants down here please. Quite civilised and not too many Brits so please stay up the other end. It's awful down here, really crap, you'd all hate it.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Don't send any migrants down here please. Quite civilised and not too many Brits so please stay up the other end. It's awful down here, really crap, you'd all hate it.
not that old chestnut!!
are you having a laugh...not many poms in **********phaaaa!!

Last edited by Dorothy; Nov 17th 2009 at 12:26 am. Reason: I don't remember anyone saying where she lives.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

We are really happy on the goldie and we have friends that live all over the GC!
They are ALL very happy where they live as they have made themselves a GOOD life (north/south..wherever), so much so...they don't really come on here anymore!
Old Nov 16th 2009, 11:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sammyg

not that old chestnut!!
are you having a laugh...not many poms in*********...phaaaa!!
You can't read obviously. Not to worry, can't be helped.

Last edited by Dorothy; Nov 17th 2009 at 12:26 am.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

You are completely predictable Moneypen...and completely boring!
You've been spouting out the same crap for years
Old Nov 17th 2009, 12:27 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Can we please cut out the insults? Perhaps a read of the site rules, particularly rule 1 would be in order.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 12:32 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Can we please cut out the insults? Perhaps a read of the site rules, particularly rule 1 would be in order.
Agreed.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 12:35 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

OMG ban her ban her how dare she speak like that to a MOD,im shocked and stunned

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.