The Gold Coast

Old Dec 28th 2007, 7:46 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Gold Coast

The GC had never particularly occurred to me as a place to live because I spent a week camping in Surfers paradise and although I had a great time it didn't seem like a place to live.
Now however I seem to hear great things.
All the Yummy, Brummie mummies have settled there and Moneypens sig says GC - not like Surfers.

So - what is it like living on the Gold coast? Good and bad?
Should I be heading there instead of Melbourne?
Old Dec 28th 2007, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Gold Coast

Originally Posted by Kapri
The GC had never particularly occurred to me as a place to live because I spent a week camping in Surfers paradise and although I had a great time it didn't seem like a place to live.
All the Yummy, Brummie mummies have settled there and Moneypens sig says GC - not like Surfers.

Gee, what a dilemma.

Melbourne or the Gold Coast.
Wet&cold or warm&sunny

WW
Old Dec 28th 2007, 9:23 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Gee, what a dilemma.

Melbourne or the Gold Coast.
Wet&cold or warm&sunny

WW
Melbourne wet? they've had no rain for 7 years apparently
Old Dec 28th 2007, 9:31 pm
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

thats 7minutes ya plonker......
Old Dec 28th 2007, 9:40 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

We have Gold Coast telephone directories but I guess it doesn't feel any different to living in any other southern suburb of Brisbane. We are not really on the coast either ... think more Mount Tamborine.

Dunno if I'm actually qualified to comment apart from the telephone directories actually ... and they seem nice enough ... pretty comprehensive and alphabetical ... but we never use them.

I prefer it inland anyway, it's a lot cooler in the height of summer, very nice bushwalking tracks and you don't have to go far to get away from it all. Bit lacking in fancy restaurants and somewhere to pick up your mocha-choca-latte-flip-flap whatever but that bothers us not a jot.

3 and a half acres, basic 3-bedroom house with zero bells and whistles and a realistic 60 minutes to Brisbane CBD - a bargain to you at $315,000. 18 months ago anyway.

But south of the river is full of scum so I'd avoid it
Old Dec 28th 2007, 9:43 pm
Happy migrant

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Dunno if I'm actually qualified to comment apart from the telephone directories actually ... and they seem nice enough ... pretty comprehensive and alphabetical ... but we never use them.
You've sold it to me
Old Dec 28th 2007, 9:44 pm
Happy migrant

Originally Posted by the plumber
thats 7minutes ya plonker......

Look at me defending Melbourne and I don't even live there yet.
It must be love
Old Dec 28th 2007, 9:44 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

We have Gold Coast telephone directories but I guess it doesn't feel any different to living in any other southern suburb of Brisbane. We are not really on the coast either ... think more Mount Tamborine.

I prefer it inland anyway, it's a lot cooler in the height of summer, very nice bushwalking tracks and you don't have to go far to get away from it all. Bit lacking in fancy restaurants and somewhere to pick up your mocha-choca-latte-flip-flap whatever but that bothers us not a jot.

3 and a half acres, basic 3-bedroom house with zero bells and whistles and a realistic 60 minutes to Brisbane CBD - a bargain to you at $315,000. 18 months ago anyway.

But south of the river is full of scum so I'd avoid it
Any scum in fortitude valley(teneriffe) ?????
Old Dec 28th 2007, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kapri

Think they would be two very different lifestyles and I think it depends on what you want out of Oz.

We've been in Mel since Jan on a STNI visa, but probably wouldn't have been our first choice if we'd been on the 136. However, Mel does grow on you once you are here.

On coming to Mel it was important to us to be near the sea, so we managed to find a nice place in Brighton but unfortunately the bay can be a little boring at times - no waves! So, for our second year we are looking to move down Mornington way so we can be nearer the back beaches. To us it's more the Aussie lifestyle we came for.

However, some of the Mel crowd love being near the Dandenongs or up near the Yarra Valley and countryside which is lovely but not for us.

I would think the GC would offer the more Aussie beach lifestyle but I suppose it would depend on how easy work is to find for what you do.

The weather has been pretty good in Mel since we arrived, winter didn't really kick in until June and the coldest day we had was 9 but mainly was about 12 degrees. Although we did go back to the UK for 6 weeks of it! Recently it has been very nice with the exception of the week leading up to Xmas where I've never seen so much rain! Yesterday it was 35 and going upto 40 on Monday!

If you can be fairly flexible then no reason to try them both out when you get here!

Kim
Old Dec 28th 2007, 9:48 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Any scum in fortitude valley(teneriffe) ?????
Apparently not, that is classed as 'edgy' and 'bohemian'.

Just find me a suburb full of estate agents and IT recruitment people, now there is dodgy ...
Old Dec 28th 2007, 10:03 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Just find me a suburb full of estate agents and IT recruitment people, now there is dodgy ...
TooWong !
Old Dec 28th 2007, 10:04 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh shit i have been described as edgy before but never bohemian,think im going to have to move in next door to you Vimto
Old Dec 28th 2007, 10:05 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Oh shit i have been described as edgy before but never bohemian,think im going to have to move in next door to you Vimto
So youve chnaged from Tenerife to Tamborine !!

Thats like Gympie to Manly

Oooppps someones already doing that, in reverse order
Old Dec 28th 2007, 10:19 pm
FREE TIBET

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
So youve chnaged from Tenerife to Tamborine !!

Thats like Gympie to Manly

Oooppps someones already doing that, in reverse order
Oh im def not gympie(hate the smell of rubber) and all manly
Old Dec 28th 2007, 11:47 pm
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

We lived in Bournemouth before moving to the GC a couple of years ago and apart from the weather we see a lot of similarities. There is loads to do beach, country (hinterland), Brisbane close enough, lots of different housing/suburb options, great for kids and 'adults'. I've never been to Victoria but a large proportion of my customers have relocated from there to the GC that must say something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.