Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Going to Sydney with interview in Melbourne

Going to Sydney with interview in Melbourne

Old Sep 9th 2011, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all
Default Going to Sydney with interview in Melbourne

I have now another dilemma:
I had a skype interview about a month ago and they invite me to a second interview as soon as my interviewer return from her holidays abroad (15 days. She came and I heard nothing until I sent a follow up email, she moved the interview and extra week and just when I thought that perhaps they didn't want to move the thinngs forward I received an email asking me about my dates of arrival to book and interview in person.
The thing is that this position is in Melbourne and I'll go initially to Sydney to start finding a flat ASAP and literarly I wouldn't be able to wait too much for an offer, so I guess that if they want me we should move the things very fast... Another thing is who is going to pay the expenses in case I have to visit melbourne to have my face to face interview?
It is a blue chip company and it's for a senior managerial position (not mining) . They don't seem to be in a hurry and I don't know what to expect or negotiate in the Australian Market.
Any comments or suggestions?

Last edited by MAR001; Sep 9th 2011 at 7:08 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 10:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going to Sydney with interview in Melbourne

Originally Posted by MAR001
I had a skype interview about a month ago and they invite me to a second interview as soon as my interviewer return from her holidays abroad (15 days. She came and I heard nothing until I sent a follow up email, she moved the interview and extra week and just when I thought that perhaps they didn't want to move the thinngs forward I received an email asking me about my dates of arrival to book and interview in person.
The thing is that this position is in Melbourne and I'll go initially to Sydney to start finding a flat ASAP and literarly I wouldn't be able to wait too much for an offer, so I guess that if they want me we should move the things very fast... Another thing is who is going to pay the expenses in case I have to visit melbourne to have my face to face interview?
It is a blue chip company and it's for a senior managerial position (not mining) . They don't seem to be in a hurry and I don't know what to expect or negotiate in the Australian Market.
You could ask them if they will pay for the flight, but it could be a case of paying for it yourself - depends then on how much you want the job. I know several people who reguarly fly down from Cairns and Rockhampton to Brisbane for interviews, at their own expense every time.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MAR001
Do you fancy living in Melbourne? It is great that you have managed to line up an interview for as soon as you get there. Perhaps you should not be looking for a flat in Sydney when you arrive just in case this goes well?

I think it is quite reasonable for you to ask at the end of the interview what the next steps are and how long will it take. Explain it is because you have just arrived and are not sure whetehr you will settle in Melbourne or Sydney and this could be the decider.

I most defintiely would not recommend asking for expenses and perhaps more so because it is a senior manager position. You can get flights for a couple of hundred dollars and they would expect a senior manager would not have any trouble paying for it. In my career, I have only ever seen new graduates get paid travel expenses and that was the only stage of my life where I was ever reimbursed.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Do you fancy living in Melbourne? It is great that you have managed to line up an interview for as soon as you get there. Perhaps you should not be looking for a flat in Sydney when you arrive just in case this goes well?

I think it is quite reasonable for you to ask at the end of the interview what the next steps are and how long will it take. Explain it is because you have just arrived and are not sure whetehr you will settle in Melbourne or Sydney and this could be the decider.

I most defintiely would not recommend asking for expenses and perhaps more so because it is a senior manager position. You can get flights for a couple of hundred dollars and they would expect a senior manager would not have any trouble paying for it. In my career, I have only ever seen new graduates get paid travel expenses and that was the only stage of my life where I was ever reimbursed.
I would second the above advice.

Maybe you could try to line up other meetings or interviews in Melbourne while you are there? Research some companies you are interested in, call them and explain that you will be visiting Melbourne shortly and could they fit you in for an informal chat? Same with recruitment agencies. That way you won't have spent the time and money for just one meeting.

Things tend to move slowly in Australia so make sure you tell them that you are still in the process of deciding where to settle, and therefore are flexible at this stage but can they be quick in getting back to you as you have other options in Sydney...?

Definitely do not ask for refunds as that would go against you, especially since you are new to this market and as Polly said, plenty of people are willing to travel for interviews at their own expense. Unless you were head-hunted and going for a seriously senior position (CEO or CFO or Director or something) in a blue chip company, I wouldn't advise mentioning expenses.

Good luck!
Old Sep 10th 2011, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all

Thank you guys.. Great advice...