Going to Sydney

Old Aug 5th 2005, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

Kangablue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Going to Sydney

Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen
Whats wrong with the southern suburbs? You're making me paranoid now . We plan on living in the southern suburbs, well the ones that are comutable to sydney that is, Sutherland, Cronulla etc...
Sorry, yes, Cronulla, I've been there, very nice in fact. I think there's a big National Park in that area which has a lovely wee town (can't remember it's name) and beach.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

Kangablue is an unknown quantity at this point

[

We are now looking to move to the Inner West (Glebe and Balmain are top of the list, though I worry a bit about the traffic round Balmain). I work over in Ashfield (very edge of the Inner West) and have got to know the area quite well. It will be good to have a variety of bars and restaurants to choose from and different neighbours (most of our neighbours at the moment are either elderly Jewish people or backpackers). The rent will be cheaper too!

Balmain is excellent! Otherwise know as 'Britmain' for obvious reasons. Excellent cafes and bars, but it is a nice safe family surburb with fabulous harbourside walks. Bit pricey to buy though. Nearby Rozelle is more affordable and less pretentious perhaps. Traffic only a problem getting off the peninsula in the mornings.

Top part of Glebe, Glebe Point, is quite posh and expensive (near water, nice parkland, bi houses). Bottom half a bit different - publi housing . But it is a great place, quite hippy\bohemian especially the market on a Saturday and it is near Newtown, another great place (very Student orientated)

Also try Drummoyne, next peninsula from Balmain\Rozelle. Has the Bay Run (harbourside walk\run around Iron Cove). It's a quieter surburb, but near enough to Balmain and the city, if you want it.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Kangablue
Sorry, yes, Cronulla, I've been there, very nice in fact. I think there's a big National Park in that area which has a lovely wee town (can't remember it's name) and beach.
The town is called Bundeena and is in the Royal national park. Crounulla is opposite-ish and you can get there by ferry.
Old Aug 5th 2005, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ascot Berks(06.04) to Cronulla nr Sydney back to Ascot (04.05)
Rosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really nice

Originally Posted by John Howard
The town is called Bundeena and is in the Royal national park. Crounulla is opposite-ish and you can get there by ferry.
Town!
Its hardly a village - er, hamlet? 3 cafes a school (primary) and a big corner shop But loads of art galleries it is the refuge of rich artists and the 1st Sun of every month is an Art tour around the artist's homes displaying all their work for sale.
Its completely out of the way and takes an 40 minutes through the park to drive there from Cronulla- 15min ferry ride. Its fabulous and has the most gorgous beach (Jibbon) which has aboriginal drawings and middens. Beautiful 3 story beach houses look over the port hacking to Cronulla and up to the CBD. Nearby is Wattamolla beach with waterfall and safe swimming, further round is Garie which has great surf and cliff walks.

Coming back to the real world...Theres no work there and one road in/out! Some drive then take the train from Sutherland to the CBD, dropping their children off at the grammar/private schools on the way. Others take the ferry accross to Cronulla but then the train ride to the CBD is an hour. Many families return closer in to the city once their children are High School age.
Its not totally exclusive as there are some quite hic bungalows and it is more affordable than the Sutherland Shire but I imagine it would be totally dead if you were a stay at home mum. Everyone knows each other - I dont know if that would be a good thing!
Old Aug 5th 2005, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

SarahJane is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kangablue

I am moving to Sydney at the end of September and looking at Balmain as a possible place to live. However, the job I have is out in the Castle Hill area (NW) and sounds like traffic is bad..is that just towards the city or generally around the Balmain area ?? Any ideas/thoughts?
Thanks

Originally Posted by Kangablue
[

We are now looking to move to the Inner West (Glebe and Balmain are top of the list, though I worry a bit about the traffic round Balmain). I work over in Ashfield (very edge of the Inner West) and have got to know the area quite well. It will be good to have a variety of bars and restaurants to choose from and different neighbours (most of our neighbours at the moment are either elderly Jewish people or backpackers). The rent will be cheaper too!

Balmain is excellent! Otherwise know as 'Britmain' for obvious reasons. Excellent cafes and bars, but it is a nice safe family surburb with fabulous harbourside walks. Bit pricey to buy though. Nearby Rozelle is more affordable and less pretentious perhaps. Traffic only a problem getting off the peninsula in the mornings.

Top part of Glebe, Glebe Point, is quite posh and expensive (near water, nice parkland, bi houses). Bottom half a bit different - publi housing . But it is a great place, quite hippy\bohemian especially the market on a Saturday and it is near Newtown, another great place (very Student orientated)

Also try Drummoyne, next peninsula from Balmain\Rozelle. Has the Bay Run (harbourside walk\run around Iron Cove). It's a quieter surburb, but near enough to Balmain and the city, if you want it.