Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Going Single - Should I bother with agent?

Going Single - Should I bother with agent?

Old Jun 23rd 2004, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Dmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura about
Default Going Single - Should I bother with agent?

Guys

I have been in touch with a number of agents based in UK & they seem fine for setting the process for PR & could follow my requirements quite easily.

However after reading some of these posts I am asking myself should I do it myself?

It is just myself applying (No children, Not Married & no De factor so far - unless I get lucky - or not some might say!) & can fully meet the points, get my skills matched with ACS with no health problems or convictions.

What do yous think?

I have the time to investigate, my worry was missing something out but if I follow info. fully that shouldnt happen, right?!

If yes, can anybody who has done this from an IT/ACS perspective help as to how I get started with this.

ie. Should I apply for Skills assessment asap. - How long does this last for? Then follow the requirements for DIMA?

Am thinking of applying after July due to the changes, hoping to spend the next year organising it continuing with my job in UK & leave end of summer next year.

Thanks in advance peps
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 3:34 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

We have done the whole process ourselves. You need your skills assessment to apply for your visa. This can take about three months to come through but unless your really organised it might take you a while to get everything organised that they need. If you are looking at going next summer you need to start straight away.
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going Single - Should I bother with agent?

Originally posted by Dmartyos
It is just myself applying (No children, Not Married & no De factor so far - unless I get lucky - or not some might say!) & can fully meet the points, get my skills matched with ACS with no health problems or convictions.
Seems straight forward enough, as long as you don't need to do RPL. If you have a degree in IT and more than 4 years of experience, and can get hold of all your diplomas, reference letters from employers, and relevant professional certificates, you're fine.

I have the time to investigate, my worry was missing something out but if I follow info. fully that shouldnt happen, right?!
If you have good internet connection and can follow all instructions through, you really shouldn't have any problems.

Should I apply for Skills assessment asap. - How long does this last for? Then follow the requirements for DIMA?
Yes, do start applying for skills assessment ASAP because it could take a couple of months before you hear back from ACS. Not sure how long the assessement is valid for but if you get assessed and apply for immigration pretty soon after, you might just make it in time to go for next summer.

If you have more questions throughout the process, just post again - you'll always get some response here.

Good luck,
Mrs JTL
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Going Single - Should I bother with agent?

I am also doing it myself rather than going through an agent as our case seemed pretty straight forward (just me and my partner).

My ACS assessment took about 6 weeks from sending the documents to them to receiving a positive response. If you don't need to do an RPL you don't require too much information and the main problem is getting work references from previous companies. You need to send them certified copies of your qualifications (certificates and transcripts, including non-IT related degree ones), letters from employers as detailed on the ACS website, CV (my usual 3 page UK one was OK) and certified copy of passport/birth certificate (I sent both on the same page).

The assessment is valid for a year so there is no reason not to do this now.

I decided to do it myself since I couldn't see I could get my money worth from an agent as I have a fairly straightforward case.

At the moment we are waiting for my partners skills assessment to come back to stop us requiring the $100k bond and in the mean time I am gathering all the paperwork and waiting for news on the potential change from the 1st July where all bits will be front-loaded and how this may impact applications.

HTH
Old Jun 24th 2004, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Dmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the responses

I gather sending the ACS details is the first step then.

I will wait to see the changes in July, looks likely that the Front Loading will happen which means I will have to get all the info together in July anyway.

Just one question though, RPL has been mentioned but I am unsure of what this is? Am currently reading through ACS website. How would I know whether I require this?

Thanks
Old Jun 24th 2004, 7:46 am
rudo1ph

We did it ourselves - it's just a case of reading the instructions very carefully. Our case was not particularly straight forward - we have a Cambodian adopted daughter and Australia does not recognise adoptions from Cambodia, but we muddled through and are now happily living here. Applied March 2002, visa granted May 2003. If people have the time and patience to read the forms then I would always say go the DIY route......

Old Jun 24th 2004, 7:51 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

The skills assesment IMO was the toughest bit, after that its lemon squeezy

Go for it if you feel that you have a straight forward case, and good luck
Old Jun 24th 2004, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Just one question though, RPL has been mentioned but I am unsure of what this is? Am currently reading through ACS website. How would I know whether I require this?
Thanks
If you have an IT degree you won't be doing RPL. On the ACS homepage, click on "Assessement for Immigration", the "Current Guidelines", download the MS word document. On page 7, you'll find:

2.2 Potentially Suitable

RECOGNITION OF PRIOR LEARNING (RPL)

2.2.1 An applicant who has limited or no qualifications but who has extensive and varied experience of at least six years plus supporting professional development education may refer certified documentation to the ACS for assessment.

2.2.2 ACS will decide which level of qualification is appropriate and based on this, will assess the applicant¡¦s skills as suitable or unsuitable for the nominated skilled occupation applied for.

Mrs JTL
Old Jun 24th 2004, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Ok I understand now, will go through that document.

thanks for the help Mrs JTL!
Old Jun 24th 2004, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Another quick question...

I have read somewhere that the Oz Govt were looking to put a limit on the people residing in Sydney & Melbourne.

Do you think that will come into affect in July?

Its not feasible for people who want to continue career in certain industries as these are the main cities for them.

I know theres a state nomintated visa, but do you think the Skilled Independant will have the same limitation on it as well?

Cheers peps
Old Jun 24th 2004, 9:13 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

It's not a limit or a rule they could reasonably enforce. Who's to stop you from moving to Melbourne or Sydney from wherever regional when you get there?

Last edited by Ulujain; Jun 24th 2004 at 9:17 am.
Old Jun 24th 2004, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Another quick question...
I have read somewhere that the Oz Govt were looking to put a limit on the people residing in Sydney & Melbourne.

Do you think that will come into affect in July?

Its not feasible for people who want to continue career in certain industries as these are the main cities for them.

I know theres a state nomintated visa, but do you think the Skilled Independant will have the same limitation on it as well?

Cheers peps
The government are limiting the number of people going to areas like Sydney by increasing the passmark to 120 and introducing the SIR Visa which doesn't allow you to go to areas like Sydney (at least for the first few years by which time they expect you will be settled in your Regional Area are won't want to move).

I'm planning on going to Sydney as that is where the market for my skills is greatest (IT Project Management within a Financial Organisation) and don't expect Australia will stop me if I've got the PR Visa with no conditions.
Old Jun 24th 2004, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

So the Govt push the pass mark to the limt to only allow specific skills to be placed into the large cities. Theyve set the Reginal visa lower to increase the population. Maybe UK should do that?!
Too much in south/east causes problems over the country.

Spotty Dog, Im pretty much in the same situation as yourself in terms of job type - not financial industry - IT & Telecomms.

Can I ask how far down the road are you in your application?

I have looked at the Job des. on ACS & think that I will apply through Systems Designer - as I have Business Analyst experience. - Does all the 4 years experience need to be IT? Or can it be from any of the Job des on the DIMA list?

Appreciate the feedback here from people who are more in the know then myself. I spent 9 months over in Oz in 2003 - 6 in Sydney & the rest travelling (apart from West Oz). Have good knowledge of the city & will give a true reflection if anyone needs any info about setting up there.

Cheers
Old Jun 24th 2004, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you have fewer than 120 points but at least 110 you will have the option to apply under "Skilled - Independent Regional". This visa however will only be a temporary residence visa valid for 3 years. You'll have to apply for permanent residence visa after living in the regional area for 2 years.

However if you have 120 points or more you can apply for the "Skilled - Independent" visa (subclass 136) which allows you to live wherever you want. We are on 136 and are going to Brisbane by choice even though there are fewer IT jobs there. My understanding is that when the new SIR visa is introduced in July, subclass 136 is not going to change. And that is a permanent residence visa.

Mrs JTL
Old Jun 24th 2004, 10:59 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

If you are referring to the new SIR visa there will be a condition 8539 placed on the visa requiring the visa holder to live, study, and work in a regional or low growth area while physically in Australia - have a read here:
http://www.gomatilda.com.au/news/art...?articleid=307

I agree that policing this condition while one is the holder of the new visa may well be a challenge for the Department of Immigration, but I imagine the Department will check the position when one applies for permanent residency a year of three down the track ...

Best regards.

The new
Originally posted by Ulujain
It's not a limit or a rule they could reasonably enforce. Who's to stop you from moving to Melbourne or Sydney from wherever regional when you get there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.