Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Going to melbourne, never been there before.......!!!!

Wikiposts

Going to melbourne, never been there before.......!!!!

Old May 13th 2005, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

caz41 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Going to melbourne, never been there before.......!!!!

[QUOTE=Bordy]Good on ya Caz, I knew as soon as I saw you that you were a sensible woman. [/QUOTE

lol, some would say not, on essendons recent form - and freemantle tipped to win tomorrow.
Old May 14th 2005, 2:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coxfamuk
Have you read this. Had a quick look after reading your link. I had to laugh at the section about 'Australian customs'

Thanks for that.

You mean bits like...."Australians also say “excuse me” or “pardon
me” when they burp or belch in public or in someone’s home."
and
"Most Australians blow their noses into handkerchiefs or tissues, not onto the
pavement. This is also true for spitting. Many people will also say “bless you” when you sneeze – this phrase has no religious intent.
It is important to know that some behaviour is not only impolite but is also against the law. Examples include swearing in public, pushing in line, and urinating or defecating anywhere except in a public or private toilet."

Mostly aimed at those from a non-English speaking background, I would suggest? For whom it is probably a useful tool; doesn't give much solid info about areas and lifestyle though - you're better off getting that from here.
Old May 14th 2005, 2:48 am
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Mostly aimed at those from a non-English speaking background, I would suggest? For whom it is probably a useful tool; doesn't give much solid info about areas and lifestyle though - you're better off getting that from here.
aw, & I thought you liked the welsh
Old May 14th 2005, 2:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gogdownunder
aw, & I thought you liked the welsh
LOL You know what I mean!!!
(PS and I am half Welsh, but the other half of me speaks English!)

Last edited by Pollyana; May 14th 2005 at 3:13 am.
Old May 14th 2005, 3:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shellfish
Melbourne has more nightclubs per head than any other city in the world

Apparently correct, and consequently, my 5'11'' 20 year old daughter, who amongst her other certificates, managed somehow to gain a crowd controller certificate, is now right at this moment, stopping girls, and persuading blokes, from going over the top, in a karioke bar in central melbourne, , Thank gawd she is full of sarf london genes

By this post, I'm trying to show that one adapts to ones environment, and gains employment, and succeeds how one can.

Melbourne, arguably the best city in the world to live in, "REALLY' !!!
Old May 14th 2005, 3:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samer

- any body recommend a suberb were i can get accomedation Near CBD ( or easy to travel to/from ), i read that carlton, or fitzroy are good, what about cuborg?

- what about GSM providers, what is the best company to get pay as you go line?

Cheers,

SAM
Personally Sam, I've lived in and around Coburg, since I arrived back in 1980, I love the place, Honestly.... Better than anywhere that I lived in previously In london.

Fitzroy, would be the epitomy of an urban dwellers heaven, from an Aussie point of view, Carlton very similar, Coburg, does an affordable equivalent, but not as well, .... Now thats the truth. So If you have 50,000 quid in your back pocket head to Fitzroy or Carlton or Brunswick or Northcote. If you've got 30,000 quid head to Coburg or Preston or Thornbury, or Reservoir.

If one is from Urban London, or possibly any other city in britain, Then the best parts of those cities are reflected in those Melbourne Suburbs, mentioned above.
Old May 14th 2005, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

jskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by samer
Hello,

YES, i am going to melbourne early next month, and i have never been there at all .

Appreciate any advices on Housing, suberbs, Mobiles, internet......

i had made a lot of reseach on the net but a word from people who had really exrerinced this is much better.

Cheers,

Sam

Good luck to you as well! We're flying out on the 11th of June .. never been to Melbourne .. have a job .. will get a car .. house .. and all sorted out before we go! Can recommend HR Relocations in Melbourne, if you are contemplating using such services! They're fab!

/Jørgen
Old May 16th 2005, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

samer has a spectacular aura aboutsamer has a spectacular aura aboutsamer has a spectacular aura about

Hi All,

Thanks for all the posts.

Keep up the hapy face

Cheers
Old May 17th 2005, 12:52 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=caz41]
Originally Posted by Bordy
Good on ya Caz, I knew as soon as I saw you that you were a sensible woman. [/QUOTE

lol, some would say not, on essendons recent form - and freemantle tipped to win tomorrow.
Its crap when you tip against your own team and they win isn't it