Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Going mad trying to open Bank Acc.

Going mad trying to open Bank Acc.

Old Apr 9th 2004, 12:43 pm
Comfortably Numb Member

deno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Going mad trying to open Bank Acc.

Help please.

The full story so far (Sorry it is long ).....

I opened a National bank acc. when on holiday in Oz a year ago, pending a permanent move. I am almost ready now but have been told after several l-o-n-g and dare I say inefficent phone calls to National Bank in Oz, that the acc. has been closed.

So I thought I would use HSBC. Phoned them in UK and received the pack minus some important docs. Phoned again several times, still waiting after 3 weeks.

So I thought I would try ANZ London, eventually found out that they don't really do personal acconnts anymore.

So I phoned Westpac London. The phone was answered by what sounded like the cleaning lady. She knew nothing about banking eaxcept that everything is "done at the website".

So I fill in the required application on the Westpac website. Hooray 3 days later I received an email with a ref. number.

So I phoned Westpac in Oz, to see if I could get info on what I need to send. I was informed after 30 minutes (mostly music) that as I lived overseas the website application was no good.

So I was then passed through to the new accounts section and after 15 minutes music and being played some statutory declaration recording my details were taken and an account number was given to me.

I was told I could pay money in, but could not take any out until I had confirmed my identity in the UK with forms they would send me. After return of these forms I need only to appear with my ID in the Melbourne bank to fully activate the account.

So after 12 days the Westpac envelope came. A nice booklet on the different accounts etc. a welcome letter but no forms to get stamped and certified. The letter stated all completed forms must be returned to the bank within 14 days from date of issue.

So I rang Westpac OZ again and more music and some confused people. They advised me to fax the bank in Melbourne direct to advise them that 14 days was impossible to meet as most of 13 days had already gone. "Can you not contact them for me " was the apparently dumb question I asked.

New forms were requested but the suggestion that affiliated Barclays International must have some of the internationally accepted forms. No chance. The international lady at Barclays had never heard of Westpac or any forms.

So I phoned the local Barclays manager but no help there.

By this time I had sent four emails to Westpac asking them to advise the Melbourne Bank that I was trying to get things sorted.
I have not received any reply to any of my mails.

I am still waiting for documents from HSBC.

I am still waiting for documents from Westpac.

I am so p****d off.

All I want to do is send my money before I leave the UK and get it back when I get to OZ.

Please what am I doing wrong ??????

Advance Thanks but still in despair

Deno
Old Apr 9th 2004, 12:55 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Going mad trying to open Bank Acc.

Originally posted by deno
Help please.

The full story so far (Sorry it is long ).....

I opened a National bank acc. when on holiday in Oz a year ago, pending a permanent move. I am almost ready now but have been told after several l-o-n-g and dare I say inefficent phone calls to National Bank in Oz, that the acc. has been closed.

So I thought I would use HSBC. Phoned them in UK and received the pack minus some important docs. Phoned again several times, still waiting after 3 weeks.

So I thought I would try ANZ London, eventually found out that they don't really do personal acconnts anymore.

So I phoned Westpac London. The phone was answered by what sounded like the cleaning lady. She knew nothing about banking eaxcept that everything is "done at the website".

So I fill in the required application on the Westpac website. Hooray 3 days later I received an email with a ref. number.

So I phoned Westpac in Oz, to see if I could get info on what I need to send. I was informed after 30 minutes (mostly music) that as I lived overseas the website application was no good.

So I was then passed through to the new accounts section and after 15 minutes music and being played some statutory declaration recording my details were taken and an account number was given to me.

I was told I could pay money in, but could not take any out until I had confirmed my identity in the UK with forms they would send me. After return of these forms I need only to appear with my ID in the Melbourne bank to fully activate the account.

So after 12 days the Westpac envelope came. A nice booklet on the different accounts etc. a welcome letter but no forms to get stamped and certified. The letter stated all completed forms must be returned to the bank within 14 days from date of issue.

So I rang Westpac OZ again and more music and some confused people. They advised me to fax the bank in Melbourne direct to advise them that 14 days was impossible to meet as most of 13 days had already gone. "Can you not contact them for me " was the apparently dumb question I asked.

New forms were requested but the suggestion that affiliated Barclays International must have some of the internationally accepted forms. No chance. The international lady at Barclays had never heard of Westpac or any forms.

So I phoned the local Barclays manager but no help there.

By this time I had sent four emails to Westpac asking them to advise the Melbourne Bank that I was trying to get things sorted.
I have not received any reply to any of my mails.

I am still waiting for documents from HSBC.

I am still waiting for documents from Westpac.

I am so p****d off.

All I want to do is send my money before I leave the UK and get it back when I get to OZ.

Please what am I doing wrong ??????

Advance Thanks but still in despair

Deno
No visa credit / debit card on UK account.
Old Apr 9th 2004, 1:00 pm
Comfortably Numb Member

Originally posted by Megalania
No visa credit / debit card on UK account.
Cancelled credit card but still have debit card with Halifax which I have banked with for 15 years.
Old Apr 9th 2004, 1:01 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Cancelled credit card but still have debit card with Halifax which I have banked with for 15 years.
End of problem.
Old Apr 9th 2004, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

HSBC online savings account is easy to open, we tried the telephone route with them first but it became very complicated, the online application involved printing of some forms, taking them to be certified in local branch with ID (though we werent customers) and sending them to Oz, we got cards account numbers etc within a fortnight. The international hsbc phone people didnt tell us about this option, it was someone on here.
Old Apr 9th 2004, 1:46 pm
Comfortably Numb Member

Originally posted by Megalania
End of problem.

What do you mean by that ???????
Old Apr 9th 2004, 1:50 pm
Comfortably Numb Member

Originally posted by mcmercer
HSBC online savings account is easy to open, we tried the telephone route with them first but it became very complicated, the online application involved printing of some forms, taking them to be certified in local branch with ID (though we werent customers) and sending them to Oz, we got cards account numbers etc within a fortnight. The international hsbc phone people didnt tell us about this option, it was someone on here.

Thanks for that.

Can I ask what ID you took to get approval ?

Did you have to take bank statments and or a letter from your normal bank ??
Old Apr 9th 2004, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

We opened an account with the commonwealth bank in London. I think someone on here gave us the contact info. They opened the account, did exchange at spot rates and transfered (to aus account) at no cost (£30,000+). When we arrived, we had to go into the city center branch with our passports and that was it.

HTH.

Mike.
Old Apr 9th 2004, 2:24 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

My Daughter works for the National Aus Bank in Melbourne, if you like I'll ask if she can help?
Old Apr 9th 2004, 2:40 pm
Comfortably Numb Member

Originally posted by Bordy
My Daughter works for the National Aus Bank in Melbourne, if you like I'll ask if she can help?

Thx Bordy. I have just sent you a private message.
Old Apr 9th 2004, 2:49 pm
Comfortably Numb Member

Originally posted by Wendy&Mike
We opened an account with the commonwealth bank in London. I think someone on here gave us the contact info. They opened the account, did exchange at spot rates and transfered (to aus account) at no cost (£30,000+). When we arrived, we had to go into the city center branch with our passports and that was it.

HTH.

Mike.
Thx Mike will try that route as the HSBC call center is useless.
Old Apr 9th 2004, 2:53 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Just replied Deno. Good luck.
Old Apr 9th 2004, 9:57 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that.

Can I ask what ID you took to get approval ?

Did you have to take bank statments and or a letter from your normal bank ??

ID was just passports and a letter with our address (utility bill etc) and a bank card. That letter of recomendation from your own bank is only for the telephone account, which seems very complicated comparatively.
Good luck
Old Apr 9th 2004, 10:18 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Hi all
went into HSBC on wednesday, opened an account here, was told I could have a gold card and a loan which I declined then the nice lady filled out another form for Oz.
She said I was technically an account holder all be it for about two minutes but she could then sort me out an Oz account with some more ID, as a HSBC customer, didn't even have to sign anything, all done for us.
She said we pick up everything in the bank over there, can transfer cash back and forth on the net for no charge, really helpful she was, all we needed was a uk address for the next 5 weeks.

Jenny
Old Apr 10th 2004, 1:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

What do you mean by that ???????
By the way, what Meg means is - if you have a Halifax debit card you can draw the money out of your Halifax account once you get here. Personall I would also advise keeping the card, and keeping the account open - then if you get any cheques in sterling, or anyone in the UK wants to pay money to you (relatives or c0mpanies) they can put it in that account and you can get it out here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.