going home

Old Apr 4th 2008, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: going home

Originally Posted by welshfamilyinoz
hi all,this is my first post on here,wonder if you could help us.we moved out to brisbane at christmas and after some long thought my wife and i have decided it is not for us at this moment in time we have a little girl who is 10 months old and we are missing family and friends like crazy!we are going back in june but what i want to know is how long does our visa last?we have a residency visa but if we go back and think we have made a BIG mistake,how long have we got before the visa runs out?thanks guys
Hi, sorry to hear you are struggling to settle in but friends of mine moved out and returned after 4 and a half months and are now back in the UK kicking themselves for not giving it longer.

They are now saving and trying to plan to return as soon as they can. All the reasons that made you want to try out a new life still remain and nothing has changed in the UK. Try to give it longer is my advice.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Why dont you try giving it a bit longer..............3 months isnt very long at all
I agree, 3 months was the time it finally sank in what we had done.... and yes, it was a scary moment!!!

If you can try and give it a bit longer, or maybe just go back for a brief visit?

Missing people is the hardest part, and as mum to an almost 10 month old myself I can understand how you feel. I just remember the reasons we moved, one of which was for a better lifestyle for our kids and I honestly believe they will be better off here.

JMHO and of course it's up to you in the end...
Old Apr 5th 2008, 3:22 am
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bridie
I agree, 3 months was the time it finally sank in.....

Missing people is the hardest part, and as mum to an almost 10 month old myself I can understand how you feel. I just remember the reasons we moved, one of which was for a better lifestyle for our kids and I honestly believe they will be better off here.
I second that!

We're just approaching the 3 month mark and we have our up and down days. It's affecting the OH slightly more as she misses her mom and all that she's missing out on with our little boy who's now 16 months old.

I miss my friends, going for a beer at the drop of a hat but thats about it. There are many reasons why I don't want to return and the future in store back in the UK for our lad is the biggest one. He's come on in leaps and bounds since we've been here, goes to the park virtually everyday (obviously not on his own) and loves the beach.

Yes, it's still feels very strange not knowing hardly anyone but the people we do know have been no end of help and without them I don't think we'd be as settled in as we are. Good and bad days are par for the course, although concentrating on the bad of virtually everything I'm afraid seems to be a Pommie trait. For me, I was well aware that bad days were part and parcel of moving and I imagine there are many more to come, but, thinking of what lies in store if we did return makes the bad days only seem better.

To the OP, I wouldn't give up just yet. 3 months is just the beginning of finding your feet.

In any regard, good luck with any decisions you make.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 4:19 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The S's
5 years
Not exactly.

I think it's 5 years from when the visa was granted, so it depends on that factor. You have to look at your visa label to be sure. It should say something like "must not enter after XXXX date". You have to get in the country before then or your visa expires.

If the original poster waited almost a year to validate the visit and enter the country then they'd only have about 4 years.

Or..... if the poster validated the visa but continued to live in the UK for a few years before coming to live in Oz then they might only have a year or two left. So it's really hard to say.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

svinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud of

I was just cjecking this out the other day regarding the visas, i phoned immi and the women told me the visa is open for 5 years but you have to stay in OZ for 2 of them years, i know what you mean about homesickness, we have been here 2 1/2 years and my mum and dad are over just now and all i want ot do is pack up and head home, i know it will pass again, but does it ever pass for good.

Cheers
Suzanne
Old Apr 5th 2008, 5:44 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by svinnes
I was just cjecking this out the other day regarding the visas, i phoned immi and the women told me the visa is open for 5 years but you have to stay in OZ for 2 of them years, i know what you mean about homesickness, we have been here 2 1/2 years and my mum and dad are over just now and all i want ot do is pack up and head home, i know it will pass again, but does it ever pass for good.

Cheers
Suzanne
I don't think that advice was entirely correct. You can entire the country right before your visa expires, there's nothing wrong with that. Also, the 5 years is from the date of issue. So the OP shouldn't expect to be allowed to return 5 years from now, unless he moved here the day the visa was granted.

The problem is if you want to take a trip out of the country after your visa has expired. You'd need to get a return resident visa and show some ties into Australia. This usually isn't a problem though as long as you're living here.

It could be the immigration person was thinking 2 years for the purposes of citizenship, but even that rule has changed recently.