Wikiposts

Going Home

Old Feb 21st 2004, 3:03 pm
Goodpubmisser

Originally posted by karawara88
Thanks everyone for your comments and good luck wishes. We are not sad to be leaving.

The decision was hard because you have to go through so much to get here and spend so much money, the what if we did this, what if we did that, maybe we should try this questions creep in.

The good thing for Donna and myself is we both agreed it was not for us. I would imagine if one of us wanted to stay it would have caused problems.

Neither of us regret doing it, life is an experience, it tested our relationship to the limit, and I am pleased to say I passed the endurance test.

I know when we we get back some of my mates will be sat in the pub and thats all they will have done for the last six months.

Sorry Sue, it was a generalised and unfair comment. My comments were mainly aimed at car salesman. Although we have experienced same attitudes from other sales people.

Where about's in the UK are you from?

I am 41 am I am supprised that on this website there are many people emigrating to Australia in their 40's. I came over here in my mid 20's.

As you have probably found, employers in Australia are very much "Do you have any direct experience in that? No well you cannot have the job". They seem to have a barrier to people having the ability to learn new things. Comes from having a sub-standard education I suppose - (NO I do not want to argue about this!).

If you are under 30 you can sometimes convince employers that you can learn but not over 40.

In my home village in England the price of a house is about 240,000 pounds so living in Sydney or there is similiar. However I was with a couple from East Anglia last night and they said that their house sold for 90,000 pounds. If I could get a house for 90,000 pounds in my home village I think that the chances of me returning to England would be far higher!

Old Feb 21st 2004, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Goodpubmisser
Where about's in the UK are you from?

I am 41 am I am supprised that on this website there are many people emigrating to Australia in their 40's. I came over here in my mid 20's.

As you have probably found, employers in Australia are very much "Do you have any direct experience in that? No well you cannot have the job". They seem to have a barrier to people having the ability to learn new things. Comes from having a sub-standard education I suppose - (NO I do not want to argue about this!).

If you are under 30 you can sometimes convince employers that you can learn but not over 40.

In my home village in England the price of a house is about 240,000 pounds so living in Sydney or there is similiar. However I was with a couple from East Anglia last night and they said that their house sold for 90,000 pounds. If I could get a house for 90,000 pounds in my home village I think that the chances of me returning to England would be far higher!
The direct experience thing is a real pain, there was an ad in paper for a chicken catcher - experience needed! everything requires experience and a certificate. The big 40 does close a lot of doors, but early retirement appeals. As long as Donna works I am quite happy to chill out at home, just need to convince her of that.

We live(d) in Cheshire and sold our main house and kept two smaller ones, (one and two bed) down sizing gave us the oppurtunity to come here but equally has given us many other choices.
Old Feb 21st 2004, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

wafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nice

Some interesting posts on here,we came over in October and are heading back to the UK in November,it's true you don't realise what you've got till you leave it.
I took the job over here realising I'd be earning a third less than the UK,but supermarket prices are the same as UK, the renting house and trying to play catchup for a deposit on Aussie wages is a bind,plus all the houses are made out of cardboard or somesuch material and to pay the equivalent of 100 thousand for home like that is a bit unnerving
Living in the country in a British village to living in a city has it's effects as well,working in a job where if the worst comes to the worst you know there is nothing else around for 100k's is daunting,we've had some good times here but the risks outway the lifestyle,anyway can't do the beach 365 days a year.
The shops are a joke,banks shut early,drivers awful,cars crap,well Holden and Ford.........
Apart from that it's fine!
Old Feb 21st 2004, 7:05 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by wafoo1
Some interesting posts on here,we came over in October and are heading back to the UK in November,it's true you don't realise what you've got till you leave it.
I took the job over here realising I'd be earning a third less than the UK,but supermarket prices are the same as UK, the renting house and trying to play catchup for a deposit on Aussie wages is a bind,plus all the houses are made out of cardboard or somesuch material and to pay the equivalent of 100 thousand for home like that is a bit unnerving
Living in the country in a British village to living in a city has it's effects as well,working in a job where if the worst comes to the worst you know there is nothing else around for 100k's is daunting,we've had some good times here but the risks outway the lifestyle,anyway can't do the beach 365 days a year.
The shops are a joke,banks shut early,drivers awful,cars crap,well Holden and Ford.........
Apart from that it's fine!
Typical matelot, always moaning

Sorry its not what you expected. What are you going to do when you get back?

Old Feb 21st 2004, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Chris&Donna,
Sorry to hear things haven't worked out for you and I know you both tried after reading numerous postings from you both.
Chris not being able to sleep due to the birds etc inthe zoo
We have also PM,d once or twice,we wish you both the very best for the future.Even though we have been here and tried it do we have to stop posting on this site as an earlier posting implied I know I won't stop,as we have all made some good friends on here(albiet cyber).I think even us returnee's will have something to offer.

We return to the U.K. On the 2 March having tried the dream,unfortunatley it didn't work out for us,I love Aus but the rest of the family don't really,I was fortunate enough to find a job within 3 weeks of us landing,working on removals,so was seeing lots of different people and places around Perth.It's not really true that people with kids find it easier,we have teenagers who found it very difficult,the younger one's were easier as they go to school and can adapt much more,even so they have been very homesick.I will be very sad to leave here but I have to think of my family first and formost.
Please Chris & Donna keep in touch and good luck and if you are ever around the Wirral get in touch.
Old Feb 21st 2004, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I hope it all works out for you back in the Uk. I think you are right about the children bit. We have met so many people through our 3 children it is unreal. It must be harder without that talking point.

You are right about having to give it a go though. I am sure you are glad you came event hough it was not for you long term.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

At last other people in this forum are telling like it really is through their own experience.

I have said many times in this and other 'migration' forums, that finding employment in Australia is extremely difficult, only to have those still looking through their rose tinted glasses on the other side of the world voicing their doubts about my statements.

It is bloody hard to get any work here, let alone full time work. Casual, short contract work is the norm these days. I have been trying to get a full time job for almost 18 months now - and I am not new to this place having lived here for over 13 years. Putting it simply - there is just nothing out there unless you are very highly qualified, under 17, or running your own business, and as always it's a matter of who you know.

Having said that, I went through the homesickness and despair thing when we emigrated and was ready to get on a plane home almost daily for about 3 years. Six months is just not long enough to get to know the place and make that huge decision whether to return to the UK or not. When I did eventually go back for 3 weeks in 1999 I realised just how much of an Aussie I had become and I couldn't wait to get back to South Australia and my home.

I am glad I live here - I love Adelaide - yes my life is hard at the moment, but it would be considerably worse if I returned to the UK now.

Think long and hard before you leave if you are in OZ, and before you migrate if you are in the UK. Moving here is much, much harder than you could ever imagine. It puts the biggest strain on relationships and families that you could ever imagine. I know it is human nature to read and take in the positives but there are a lot of negatives too - just make sure you know what they are.

Last edited by wizzywozza; Feb 22nd 2004 at 1:13 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 2:51 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by wizzywozza
- there is just nothing out there unless you are very highly qualified, under 17, or running your own business,
...or a nurse.......!
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by wizzywozza
Having said that, I went through the homesickness and despair thing when we emigrated and was ready to get on a plane home almost daily for about 3 years. Six months is just not long enough to get to know the place and make that huge decision whether to return to the UK or not.
Neither of us have been homesick, there are things we miss but nothing that we couldnt live without.

So six months is plenty of time to know if a place suits or not, having driven 12000k around WA we were able to get a feel for most places! Have lived in West Perth, South Perth, East Perth, been North, South, The back of beyond, places most people living in WA will probably never visit.

Also it does not take more than six months to realise that cash is going out quicker than its coming in, unfortunatley our pockets are not deep enough to keep supporting that.

The decision to return was hard but not huge. We both agreed Australia was not the place for us. It wouldnt matter if we stayed another six months or six years, the reasons for why we are going back would not change.

Our decision to go back is not based on any single factor, we looked at the pros and cons of both places and made decisions on what compromises we were prepared to make and decided UK offered us more. Even if its a bit chilly at times.

Last edited by karawara88; Feb 22nd 2004 at 3:36 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Good luck, I was just thinking about you guys the other day. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Di
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

jah4reds is on a distinguished road

Even if its a bit chilly at times.
And going to get chillier pretty soon according to a long distance weather forecast by the Pentagon

http://news.com.au/common/story_page...%255E2,00.html

Scroll down and you'll see
Britain to have winters similar to those in current-day Siberia as European temperatures drop off radically by 2020;
Brrrrrrr.
AndyH.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 11:52 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Hi Donna, Hi Chris.

Good luck for your return journey you lucky so and so's. It seems everyone is leaving before us!!? and blimey there are a few going back aren't here!!

I think you will look back on your time here as great adventure and be glad you made the decision to return.

I won't be said about going back either, oh no.. I can't wait!! i haven't been this exited about going anywhere since I was coming here to live!!!! lol

Please, please keep in touch!!!
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

wafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nice

Originally posted by Jack Daws
Typical matelot, always moaning

Sorry its not what you expected. What are you going to do when you get back?

Hopefully get my old job back,if not starve!
Reading the other messages it's all true,money is dissapearing at a rare old rate,but the main problem is the job sucks and renting is not owning,you don't want to do anything to a rental house knowing it's not yours,tryting to buy a place around here is rapidly dissapearing and to be honest we don't really want to,the beach life is great,the countryside fabulous but it's not for us,our daughters education is suffering as well,even being put forward a year she's still repeating stuff she did in the UK last year and Uni places are like hens teeth!!
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Donna & Chris

Just want to let you know that north Cheshire is as lovely as ever - beautiful clean air, greenery everywhere. It's just a bit wet and cold (-1 last night and currently pouring with rain!!). But as you know, the weather doesn't really mean a lot in the big scheme of things. There are far more important things in life. Like being happy and content, and I wish that for both of you for the future.

Have a safe trip back.

HP
Old Feb 23rd 2004, 10:00 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Hello Kara,
sorry to read things did,nt work out, I remember when you were waiting to go all excited, I wonder how many of those old members who went have had an easier time of it? I know Don Pleasence is in the same boat as you, still a few others that i,ve not seen post, TerryG ??? no word on him

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.