Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Going Blind to Geelong - Are We Mad?

Wikiposts

Going Blind to Geelong - Are We Mad?

Old Jun 16th 2005, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going Blind to Geelong - Are We Mad?

Originally Posted by Judes2308
Think he'll be able to turn his hand to just about anything. I'm sure he'll pick up something.

Where in Scotland are you ?
Agreed! Castle Douglas, Bonnie Galloway, South West, 50 miles on the good side of Hadrian's.

OzTennis
Old Jun 16th 2005, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

Judes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really nice

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Agreed! Castle Douglas, Bonnie Galloway, South West, 50 miles on the good side of Hadrian's.

OzTennis

Haven't been down to the Borders much. Will probably go to Oz and do lots of sightseeing and haven't even seen half of what's on our own doorstep. It's the pissing weather, doesn't put you much in the mood for exploring !

(and yes I know the weather is changeable where we're going too...but at least the rain might be warmer !)

Old Jun 16th 2005, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

ballyhoo has a spectacular aura aboutballyhoo has a spectacular aura aboutballyhoo has a spectacular aura about

Haven't been down to the Borders much. Will probably go to Oz and do lots of sightseeing and haven't even seen half of what's on our own doorstep. It's the pissing weather, doesn't put you much in the mood for exploring !

(and yes I know the weather is changeable where we're going too...but at least the rain might be warmer !)

Hey folks

Be happy where you are now! You could be where I am - way down the bottom of England. My dad's from Edinburgh, so I'm probably biased towards bonnie Scotland!!
Old Jun 16th 2005, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ballyhoo
Hey folks

Be happy where you are now! You could be where I am - way down the bottom of England. My dad's from Edinburgh, so I'm probably biased towards bonnie Scotland!!
Victoria of course has its own Horsham but I reckon Sussex got in first! New Zealand has its own Edinburgh (Dunedin). It's interesting to see how many place names in Australia and NZ were named by nostalgic Brits to remind them of home (not to mention bringing things like rabbits and foxes, plants etc).

OzTennis

http://www.travelmate.com.au/Places/...orsham_%5C_VIC
Old Jun 16th 2005, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Judes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really nice

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Victoria of course has its own Horsham but I reckon Sussex got in first! New Zealand has its own Edinburgh (Dunedin). It's interesting to see how many place names in Australia and NZ were named by nostalgic Brits to remind them of home (not to mention bringing things like rabbits and foxes, plants etc).

OzTennis

http://www.travelmate.com.au/Places/...orsham_%5C_VIC
I believe there's even an Aberdeen Road in Geelong !
Old Jun 16th 2005, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I believe there's even an Aberdeen Road in Geelong !

Yep - Aberdeen Street. It's near the edge of what used to be known as "Little Scotland". Seriously. Part of West Geelong.

And,If u pm me, I can tell u my surname which is the most scottish of all!!!
Old Jun 17th 2005, 12:12 am
Just Joined

Dave+Kelly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ballyhoo
Hi all

We are hoping to complete our house sale in the next few weeks and are planning on having all our stuff packed and stored for a month before shipping out to Australia.

We were then going to go in July for a two weeks to have a quick reccie! Yes, yes, we do everything backwards.

Finally our plan is to "officially" move over in September.

Now I think what a waste of money in July, when I could be spending those two weeks with my family. We were mainly doing it to keep our parents happy.

Yes, it'll be scary going over never having been before, but . . . .

. . . . what are your thought? Do we just go for it? We have 2 kids, aged 7 and 4.

Should we be more responsible?????
Forget the reccie and save some cash, we are going to rockingham in sept and have never even been to Oz. I wouldn't do anything to keep any one else happy. No one that went on a £10 visa done a "reccie" i would guess that most people that move to new countrys in the world everyday dont.
Whats the worst that could happen ? You come back again
Old Jun 17th 2005, 1:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Yep - Aberdeen Street. It's near the edge of what used to be known as "Little Scotland". Seriously. Part of West Geelong.

And,If u pm me, I can tell u my surname which is the most scottish of all!!!
Melbourne suburbs include Ardeer, Armadale, Berwick, Chirnside Park, Glen Iris, Glenroy, Heatherdale, Heatherton, Kilsyth, McKinnon, Macaulay, Macleod, Montrose, Niddrie, Roxburgh Park, St Kilda, Skye, Strathmore and Sunshine (which surely relates to Scotland). As in the population, the English names in Melbourne outnumber the Scots by at least 10 to 1

Not an abundance of Welsh names but there is Beaumaris for example and I suppose Anglesea was named by a Welshmen who forgot his spelling? I wish they had named a place in Oz:

llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch

But we're getting a bit off Going Blind to Geelong as threads have a habit of doing!

OzTennis