Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Going back to work-Help!

Going back to work-Help!

Old Jun 4th 2007, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Going back to work-Help!

After years, months of thinking about this I'm finally going back to work. If we want the kind of life we dreamed of in Australia then I'm going to have to.

I'm going to look at going back 3-4 days a week and I feel really scared. Ive not worked for 9 years, staying at home to look after my 3 children. I'm going to have to start off at the bottom again in my career, because of the long absence.

We have no family over here to help. I have a 9, 7 and 20 month old. What do you do in summer holidays (school kids), did it cost a fortune in child care (little ones). I would like to hear other mom's/dads experiences who have returned back to work after along break, how they managed. I feel so guilty about going back to work and leaving my little one.

Many Thanks

Stacey
Old Jun 4th 2007, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of
Default Re: Going back to work-Help!

Originally Posted by stacey and jordan
After years, months of thinking about this I'm finally going back to work. If we want the kind of life we dreamed of in Australia then I'm going to have to.

I'm going to look at going back 3-4 days a week and I feel really scared. Ive not worked for 9 years, staying at home to look after my 3 children. I'm going to have to start off at the bottom again in my career, because of the long absence.

We have no family over here to help. I have a 9, 7 and 20 month old. What do you do in summer holidays (school kids), did it cost a fortune in child care (little ones). I would like to hear other mom's/dads experiences who have returned back to work after along break, how they managed. I feel so guilty about going back to work and leaving my little one.

Many Thanks

Stacey
Didn't want to read and run! Can't help with ideas for childcare but just to say that I would be scared too.....I dread going back to work when the kids are older and have absolutely no idea what I would do

Good luck

Galba
Old Jun 4th 2007, 4:17 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Many Thanks

Stacey
Try and time your annual leave, your partner's annual leave and any visitors to coincide with term time holidays for the older children. Depending on your income you should get benefits towards childcare for your youngest child.

I went back to work fulltime 8 weeks after my child was born...financially it was absolutely necessary. I am not sure it matters when you go back - some people will always feel guilty about leaving children in the care of others, some people less so. Lots of people need the double income these days.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 4:23 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Many Thanks

Stacey
Don't really know about childcare situation for the little one, but my wife returned to work after maybe 6 years fairly recently. She also started at the bottom and has had a number of PT jobs until moving on to secure a good job with good employer and decent rates of pay and super.

We put our (school age) kids into before school care so that my wife can work from 8-2:30 then pick the kids up after school.

In holidays there a large number of commerically available programs either based at school or at other locations. If you are near something like a Uni see if they have school holiday programs as many do and they are reasonable inexpensive. Also, private schools run similar programs for non-attendees and you may find some church based or other community based programs.

With 20 days leave each and maybe 3 months of school holidays it is necessary, but not always difficult or expensive, to arrange childcare.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 4:42 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Many Thanks

Stacey
There is holiday daycare through the YMCA which seems good

http://www.ymca.org.au/index2.php?O=...IID=52&OP=page
Old Jun 4th 2007, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sme
There is holiday daycare through the YMCA which seems good

http://www.ymca.org.au/index2.php?O=...IID=52&OP=page
Thank you for the link, and for all the helpful advice. Can't believe how frightened i feel about going back to work, i know now how the kids felt about starting there new school here.

Stacey
Old Jun 4th 2007, 10:09 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the link, and for all the helpful advice. Can't believe how frightened i feel about going back to work, i know now how the kids felt about starting there new school here.

Stacey
Stacey you musn't feel guilty about going to work, you are not doing anything wrong - just trying to do right by your family.

As for being scared, come on - you have brought up your children, made a home for your family and probably got far more skills to offer than you realise.

You may well have to start at the bottom and work your way up but you can add that to life experience.

With all the emotions you have been through lately with homesickness, you have overcome them - starting a new job will be a breeze!

Just have a bit of faith in yourself.

Love Sam
Old Jun 5th 2007, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Stacey you musn't feel guilty about going to work, you are not doing anything wrong - just trying to do right by your family.

As for being scared, come on - you have brought up your children, made a home for your family and probably got far more skills to offer than you realise.

You may well have to start at the bottom and work your way up but you can add that to life experience.

With all the emotions you have been through lately with homesickness, you have overcome them - starting a new job will be a breeze!

Just have a bit of faith in yourself.

Love Sam

Hi Sam i can always count on you to make me feel better. Yes it's the next chapter in my life now, i do need to have more faith in myself.

Cheers Stacey xx