Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Going back to the UK with Toddler any advice

Going back to the UK with Toddler any advice

Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Default Going back to the UK with Toddler any advice

I am scarrreddd it looks cold and its beena a long time

She is really good but, not sure what to take to keep a child entertained for so long.

Wiggles DVD
Crayons
Books

8 whiskies

Any advice is helpful, she normally sleeps 12 hours a night but not usre she'll do that on the trip
Old Dec 7th 2008, 7:58 am
Just Joined

loobyloo_brooks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Going back to the UK with Toddler any advice

Hi

I have travelled back many times to the UK with toddlers. The best thing I found was to visit a $2 shop and buy lots of their little toys and puzzles and stickers etc. Wrap them all up so they are like presents and every time they seem to be getting a bit fed up you can pull out a present. Not only do they love opening a present but then they will play with the present for a while too. For my boy I got just cheap cars so he was happy to 'drive' them on his tray, also wind up toys were good. For my girl I found just stickers were a winner - I also took a tupperware type box to keep it all in as it was small stuff, but because it was all cheap stuff from the $2 shop I figured there would be no big trauma if we lost some of them. The airline should also provide you with a bag for your child with some entertainment inside (colouring in etc)... I hope that helps

Cheers
Old Dec 7th 2008, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I never had any problem with my kids when I used to take them over on my own but I must admit to a pang of anxiety as well as I am going with my son, d-i-l and granddaughter (who will be 18/12) in March - it's not the same when its not your kid but I fully expect to be slept on for a good deal of the journey. Otherwise, planning some books, soft toys and lots of walking up and down. It'll be interesting!
Old Dec 7th 2008, 11:08 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

I would second the lots of small things, not given all at once. Cars are good. Paper and pens are also good I found, we played joining dots and things.

Nice soft blanket.

I found the mid afternoon flights good - so they are awake getting on plane, having some food, settling in and then go to sleep when they should. I made a mistake once and got them overtired boarding at 9pm.

I went with my then 18m and 8m old on my own, that was a fun trip. Met my husband in Thailand then again in London. I just let the cabin staff look after them (joke).

I am surprised though how good mine have been, next time we go with 3 under 4 - oh joy.

I also take slipper socks for the plane for them to walk around in.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Wow thank you for the advice I will be off to the 2 dollar shop tomorrow
Old Dec 8th 2008, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Dont forget the motion sickness medication if they are inclined to throw up! I am going to have to find some under 2 phenergan for the DGD she is worse than me and that is saying something!
Old Dec 8th 2008, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi,

Thanks for that, Australians keep telling me to use Phenergan what is it? We have flown before and she was ok, not a huge journey though is she is like me and my DH she may love the motion movement.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Carrianne
Hi,

Thanks for that, Australians keep telling me to use Phenergan what is it? We have flown before and she was ok, not a huge journey though is she is like me and my DH she may love the motion movement.
Phenergan is an antihistamine and it makes you drowsy (very!) as well as knocking any motion sickness on the head. With some kids, however, it has the opposite effect and hypes them up rather than sedating them so you have to try it before you get on the plane otherwise it will be a veeeeeery loooong 24 hours! I wouldnt use it unless she gets travel sick though. My DGD gets motion sick just looking at a car/bus/boat (she inherited that from me I fear!) so planes are going to be similarly distressing for her. Her dad is the only one who doesnt get affected so her mum and I will probably be zonked out on phenergan of our own and we will leave her daddy to do the entertaining!
Old Dec 9th 2008, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Old Dec 9th 2008, 5:08 pm

Howard Jenings is an unknown quantity at this point

We have just flown to Aus and back with a just 2 year old, we took books, toy cars, play-doh (this was the winner!!) magnetic toys. He was no problem at all