Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Going Back To England Next Month

Going Back To England Next Month

Old Apr 21st 2006, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

ken-6 has a spectacular aura aboutken-6 has a spectacular aura aboutken-6 has a spectacular aura about
Default Going Back To England Next Month

YEAH WE CAN'T WAIT, IT WILL BE 2 YEARS SINCE WE LAST WENT BACK, SO IT WILL BE GOOD TO SEE FRIENDS AND FAMILY.
BUT IT WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WAY WE LIVE HERE AND THE WAY WE USED TO LIVE IN ENGLAND.

I BET WHEN WE GO BACK IT WILL BE THE SAME FACES DOING THE SAME OLD THINGS, AS IF WE WERE NEVER AWAY. " OH WELL WE SHALL SEE ".
LET ME KNOW IF YOU'VE BEEN BACK AND YOUR EXPERIENCES ?
Old Apr 21st 2006, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going Back To England Next Month

The first time I went back was after 16 years, not to England, to Scotland and what I learned was although I'll always be a Scot and love my country of birth I could never live there again.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 1:37 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ken-6
YEAH WE CAN'T WAIT, IT WILL BE 2 YEARS SINCE WE LAST WENT BACK, SO IT WILL BE GOOD TO SEE FRIENDS AND FAMILY.
BUT IT WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WAY WE LIVE HERE AND THE WAY WE USED TO LIVE IN ENGLAND.

I BET WHEN WE GO BACK IT WILL BE THE SAME FACES DOING THE SAME OLD THINGS, AS IF WE WERE NEVER AWAY. " OH WELL WE SHALL SEE ".
sorry...can't hear you

FWIW - I think your friends will have moved on, so be prepared for them to be totally un-fussed about your home coming
Old Apr 21st 2006, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Kool, with a k.
We have been here 16 months, we are putting my older son through Uni at the moment, so we hope to go back for hols in about 2008.
I dont think things will be any different, and if its anything like people keeping in touch ,i think it will only be a hanful of people that will care that you are back, well us , not you.
But i will be interested to hear how you get on, and how you feel about the place when you get back here, so look forward to an update.
Good luck, have a great time.
Denise
Old Apr 21st 2006, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

We went back after 12 months and nothing had changed. It felt like we had been away on a 2 week holiday.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 10:21 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

i'm heading back there in 2 weeks. After the days travelling are taken away i end up only staying for a week. my sister is getting married and that's all the time i can take off. still, i love my sister dealy and i would have never have not gone, but i would have rather spent 2 weeks off touring around some place in aus. i've hardly seen anything of australia since i landed and as i've started a new job recently this holiday has eaten all my leave i have to date. it's going to take me another 6 months to get enough leave together to take any more decent time off... i wont even mention the cost of going back either!!

oh well. at least i'll see my family again... i certainly don't care about seeing sunny scunny any time soon.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 11:12 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Business will take myself and the missus back to blighty on a pretty regular basis so I think we'll be spared that whole "oh look, they've turned the old video shop into a JD Wetherspoons" thing. I think it's understandable about your friends & family - after all, you're the one who's made a huge change, not them. I used to return to the town I was brought up in on an increasingly irregular basis and go for a pint in the pub I worked in when I was putting myself through college and the same blokes were standing in the same spot in the same suit drinking the same beer whilst shoving quids in the same fruit machine and making the same jokes about the barstaff. I'll always remember this one bloke called Ken, took me to one side after one of my last visits there, shortly after I'd returned from the states and he said to me, with this look of disdain "Remember where you came from." In a way, he was right, if I ever wonder if I'd done the right thing moving around, I remember that drunk old twat propping up the bar - if his liver hasn't packed in yet he's probably stood there right now.
Old Apr 21st 2006, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ken-6]
I BET WHEN WE GO BACK IT WILL BE THE SAME FACES DOING THE SAME OLD THINGS, AS IF WE WERE NEVER AWAY. QUOTE]

What do you expect, people to have moved house, changed jobs, had face transplants??? That statement always amazes me, if you lived here all your life people here, including yourself would be still doing "the same old thing" - thats called life! Doesnt make you any more exciting or better than them the fact you have moved away