Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Going to Australia, need help in bank and rental issues

Going to Australia, need help in bank and rental issues

Old Nov 22nd 2007, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice
Question Going to Australia, need help in bank and rental issues

Hi all,

I ma moving to Western Australia in a weeks time and is quite worried about issues I may face in renting a place of my own.

I read through some information about renting a place in Australia and they require reference/referees, bank statement etc. The problem for people who are going to Australia from another country is that there isn't going to be any past rental references and how can I even open up a bank account in order to have a bank statement without a residential address in Australia!

I am thinking of going over and staying at a temp motel and look for a place to rent as soon as possible within a week of arrival before starting work the following week. With a residential address I can proceed to open a bank account for my work to have payroll department deposit my pay fortnightly into my bank account. Is this a good plan? Any suggestions?

I am sort of in a mess as I'm not sure how my plan above would work out seeing the issues with house rental.

How did everyone solve these issues? How did you manage to get bank and rent organised when you first moved to Australia?

I am on a 457 but work is not providing any long term accommodation so I have to rent on my own.

cheers.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 5:46 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Going to Australia, need help in bank and rental issues

Originally Posted by looky
Hi all,

I ma moving to Western Australia in a weeks time and is quite worried about issues I may face in renting a place of my own.

I read through some information about renting a place in Australia and they require reference/referees, bank statement etc. The problem for people who are going to Australia from another country is that there isn't going to be any past rental references and how can I even open up a bank account in order to have a bank statement without a residential address in Australia!

I am thinking of going over and staying at a temp motel and look for a place to rent as soon as possible within a week of arrival before starting work the following week. With a residential address I can proceed to open a bank account for my work to have payroll department deposit my pay fortnightly into my bank account. Is this a good plan? Any suggestions?

I am sort of in a mess as I'm not sure how my plan above would work out seeing the issues with house rental.

How did everyone solve these issues? How did you manage to get bank and rent organised when you first moved to Australia?

I am on a 457 but work is not providing any long term accommodation so I have to rent on my own.

cheers.
Don't know about your rental query but you can open a bank account before you go to aus I've just opened one with NAB so it's all set for when I get there
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice
Default Re: Going to Australia, need help in bank and rental issues

Originally Posted by paul30
Don't know about your rental query but you can open a bank account before you go to aus I've just opened one with NAB so it's all set for when I get there
I am not going to Australia from the UK but even its available it might be a bit too late now.

Can I use my work address to open an account when I get there?