Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

going alone..to take dog or not?

going alone..to take dog or not?

Old Mar 8th 2012, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

shackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to all
Default Re: going alone..to take dog or not?

Hi Kat, where in the uk are you? I foster dogs for a dog rescue in yorkshire. All of our dogs are in foster homes, not kennels, until we find them a suitable home. If you decide to rehome yours and need help let me know and I'll find out if we can help.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

katjo84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jothefw
Totally feel for you! We left our cocker (aged 11) and springer (young but a working dog) behind when we came.

No regrets but that said, Oscar (the cocker) went to live with my OH's mum and dad so became their replacement for the grandchildren, I suspect he was always the first choice grandchild anyway, less answering back but probably equal crying!

Toby, the springer, went to a lovely couple and I still get Christmas cards from them (I didn't know them but advertised in the shooting press).

I bought a labrador within 3 weeks of us landing, she's an angel and we now have a cocker again in our lives.

After sharing my life story - my point is this - I suspect if you can make time to do the walks in the morning and evening now, you will when you move. If your social life survives now, why wouldn't it here?

Thanks, the trouble I have is at the moment there is myself and my partner but as were seperating it will just be lonely me and as a nurse my shifts can be unknown as often I end up staying late.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

katjo84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shackybracky
Hi Kat, where in the uk are you? I foster dogs for a dog rescue in yorkshire. All of our dogs are in foster homes, not kennels, until we find them a suitable home. If you decide to rehome yours and need help let me know and I'll find out if we can help.

Thanks shacky, this is good to know, if I do rehome him I want to make sure whoever gets him will look after him and give him lots of cuddles and attention. I dont like the thought of him being in a kennel which is why Iam put of taking him to a dog's home or rspca.

my head says one thing but my heart says another! lol
Old Mar 8th 2012, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

ajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant future

Hi all

Sorry to butt in, my OH just went to talk to the vet about rabies injection and blood tests, she reckons £600 plus!

Has she hit her head ??

Anyone share their experiences?
Old Mar 8th 2012, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Lois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by ajmonty
Hi all

Sorry to butt in, my OH just went to talk to the vet about rabies injection and blood tests, she reckons £600 plus!

Has she hit her head ??

Anyone share their experiences?
For the jab itself we paid around £50 and for the follow up blood tests it was £99. So not sure where that figure has come from. We are waiting the results of the blood test to get the pet passport, but dont know that cost yet but sure if wont come to £600??
Old Mar 8th 2012, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

shackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to allshackybracky is a name known to all

We just had one of our cats vaccinated for rabies. The jab was about £30, the blood test is about £35 and the lab fees are about £85. The pet passport is another £50 on top but the aqis site just says a copy of the lab report is needed so maybe the passport isn't necessary.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

ajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant futureajmonty has a brilliant future

I am finding this more stressful than the immigration process, got a quote for shipping our dog, but looks like the paperwork is up to us? On the AQIS website the cost of the import permit is 85 dollars plus assessment fee 240 dollars? am I reading it right?
Old Mar 8th 2012, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

yeah that's how I read it too. I've also been told by defra that we need an export permit to get them out of the uk.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 7:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I am finding this more stressful than the immigration process, got a quote for shipping our dog, but looks like the paperwork is up to us? On the AQIS website the cost of the import permit is 85 dollars plus assessment fee 240 dollars? am I reading it right?
If you use a pet transportation company, they will do all the paperwork.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

Hi there
Don't want to put a spanner in the works, but a large proportion of rental properties won't allow pets over here. Friends of ours who brought their cats battled to get a decent rental that would allow them to rent- in fact their cats were kept in a cattery for an extra month till they found a place, and another couple who brought their 2 labs, took a fair while to find something to rent- so thats something else to consider in the equation.
good luck with the move..
Old Mar 8th 2012, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sa2uk2oz
Hi there
Don't want to put a spanner in the works, but a large proportion of rental properties won't allow pets over here. Friends of ours who brought their cats battled to get a decent rental that would allow them to rent- in fact their cats were kept in a cattery for an extra month till they found a place, and another couple who brought their 2 labs, took a fair while to find something to rent- so thats something else to consider in the equation.
good luck with the move..
Scare stories. Loads of people have pets, we had no trouble whatsoever securing a rental property with two cats. Although I was very concerned about in advance because of all these comments about landlords not taking pets. I guess a couple of big dogs might be another matter.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Bermuda, I'm trying to arrange as much of the paperwork as possible myself to avoid paying a company to do it for me. I need the airport vet to sign the import permit certificate B but so far I think I can organise everything else myself. Not 100% sure on sorting the flight, might still need a pet company to sort that.

Did your cats settle in ok?
Old Mar 8th 2012, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
If you use a pet transportation company, they will do all the paperwork.
I got a quote from a company but the organising vets, injections and paperwork is up to us, think I will have to email them and get clarification.

The dog is staring at me, he knows somethings up lol
Old Mar 8th 2012, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I got a quote from a company but the organising vets, injections and paperwork is up to us, think I will have to email them and get clarification.

The dog is staring at me, he knows somethings up lol
Vets and injections doesn't surprise me, but I didn't have to do any paperwork. The rabies requirements were not in place when we moved in July 2010 however, do you mean rabies paperwork?

Originally Posted by shackybracky

Did your cats settle in ok?
The cats were a bit over whelmed at first in a new home, same as they would have been had we moved home in UK. But within 24 hours they were settled in.

One of the cats struggled a lot being cooped up in quarantine. We visited at the half way point and he really got depressed after our visit when he realised he was being left behind. We were so worried we sent a vet in every few days to look at him and check he was doing ok, he was losing a lot of weight as he stopped eating. He soon recovered once he was out.

Picking your pets up at the end of quarantine will be one of the best days you will have in those early months.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 10:19 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Although I am not going to Australia, but going to USA instead, I too have battled with the 'do I take the dog or not' question. I did manage to find a foster family to look after mine while I go through the move, but now I have been in america for awhile I am desperate to get her over to me. I have gone through all the arguments and although she is an older dog, I really feel she is better off being with the person who has had her since she was 6 weeks old. However, my working situation is different - I don't need to get a full time job, so can be with her more. But in UK I worked longer hours, so used dog walking when required.

Not sure if it helps, but I know how much I miss her and although I am sure she is well looked after (well sort of sure), I won't leave her in UK for any longer than I have to.

Becks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.