Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Going it Alone!!!!

Going it Alone!!!!

Old May 22nd 2006, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

ASTROGAZ has a spectacular aura aboutASTROGAZ has a spectacular aura aboutASTROGAZ has a spectacular aura about
Default Going it Alone!!!!

Hi All,
I have been surfing around this site for quite a while now and one thing that I can say is that you lot know your stuff!!
I am a bricklayer and im moving ,hopefully ,to Melbourne to work with a close friend who is settled and loves the area, my problem is whether it is more prudent to hire an agent or should I save my money and do the app myself, so any advice please..
Old May 22nd 2006, 8:50 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going it Alone!!!!

Originally Posted by ASTROGAZ
Hi All,
I have been surfing around this site for quite a while now and one thing that I can say is that you lot know your stuff!!
I am a bricklayer and im moving ,hopefully ,to Melbourne to work with a close friend who is settled and loves the area, my problem is whether it is more prudent to hire an agent or should I save my money and do the app myself, so any advice please..

providing its a straight forward application personally i do it yourself

i did and i have the visa to prove it

and like you say lots of helpful people on this site who will help you along

just ask

regards Steve
Old May 22nd 2006, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,
Depends on whether you have a straight forward case or not really. It's not too difficult to do yourself, especially with the help of people on here.

The TRA is the biggest hurdle in the application, but as long as you go into as much detail as you can, you will pass OK

Take a look at the TRA website to give you a bit of a start.

you'll find it here

Good luck
Old May 22nd 2006, 9:05 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,
Speaking from experience, I would say get an agent to help you with the TRA but do the Visa Appl yourself......
Old May 22nd 2006, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Speaking from experience, I would say get an agent to help you with the TRA but do the Visa Appl yourself......
shouldn't you be off packing or something ? You only leave in a few days time ! All the best to you and yours
Old May 22nd 2006, 9:09 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sorchar
shouldn't you be off packing or something ? You only leave in a few days time ! All the best to you and yours
LMFAO - we have packed enough for today I think! LOL - we are having a breather !!!!!!
Old May 22nd 2006, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

I did the visa myself - and I had a fair few forms to complete thanks to the requirements for my IT skilled visa. But hey - all the agent would have done for me is charge me loads of money and ask me all the questions the forms did - so my advice - buy yourself lots of coffee and biscuits and sit down and do the forms. I spent a week or so on all the forms required and some money on the biscuit and coffee supply - but cheaper than hiring an agent to do it for me.

We asked some questions on here along the way, and in payback have answered some questions for other people where we can.

Oh, Ben and I love Melbourne too and are very glad we moved here.

Good luck with it all,

Pam.
Old May 23rd 2006, 12:23 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We too did it ourselves. From the start of gathering the documents for TRA to sending it off was about 4 weeks. Then once we got positive TRA, we took out time gathering everything we could think of for the visa app. Took about 3 months for us to gather all our necessary stuff (my son's passport took 2 months to arrive) and write up the applications. But, I'm a little bit of a worrier, so I checked and double checked and triple checked the paper work before it got sent to Adelaide.
It has been 3 1/2 months since our application arrived in Oz, so shouldn't be too much longer before we hear something.
I would have to agree with the other posters. Save your money for coffee and biscuits and do it yourself. The members here are a real lifesaver.