Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Going to Alice...

Going to Alice...

Old Jun 4th 2007, 11:08 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Going to Alice...

... for a week.

Anyone got any recommendations of tours or anything please??

My husband has got some work there - and I'll be on my own during the day.

We leave Monday, and come back to Melbourne on Saturday, so not left myself much time to sort anything out.
Thanks
Old Jun 4th 2007, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going to Alice...

Originally Posted by Weirdstone
... for a week.

Anyone got any recommendations of tours or anything please??

My husband has got some work there - and I'll be on my own during the day.

We leave Monday, and come back to Melbourne on Saturday, so not left myself much time to sort anything out.
Thanks
I take it your flying there then !! What have you got in mind, trip out to the bush or something?
Old Jun 4th 2007, 12:04 pm
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john_w
I take it your flying there then !! What have you got in mind, trip out to the bush or something?
Were thinking of driving...but seeing as the flights are being paid for by Carls boss....

Want to drive around...and go on an Outback tour...otherwise, I'll hire a car myself...

...but then Wolf Creek comes to mind
Old Jun 4th 2007, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=

...but then Wolf Creek comes to mind [/QUOTE]

not for me thanks....
Was going to say try looking in the WIKI on here but theres nothing in for Alice Springs yet.. thought more people might of been there and said what it was like
Old Jun 4th 2007, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Isn't Wolf Creek in WA?
Old Jun 4th 2007, 12:10 pm
Australian Citizen

Isn't Wolf Creek in WA?
Thought the film was based in NT

Never seen it ...too scary !
Old Jun 4th 2007, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thought the film was based in NT

Never seen it ...too scary !
It'd be a good one to see just before you go ..
Old Jun 4th 2007, 12:14 pm
Australian Citizen

It'd be a good one to see just before you go ..
Hope it's on the plane
Old Jun 6th 2007, 2:58 am
Australian Citizen

Has no-one been to Alice ??
Old Jun 6th 2007, 3:07 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Has no-one been to Alice ??
isnt there a large rock to see near there?
Old Jun 6th 2007, 3:08 am
Australian Citizen

Originally Posted by possoms
isnt there a large rock to see near there?
Yeah....500 kms away
Old Jun 6th 2007, 3:14 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

I've been.

The Alice is a great base from which to explore. I can't say anything particularly glowing about the town. Avoid the restaurant that combines Indian and Swizz cuisines. (Although a curry after French onion soup was an experience.) Bojangles Saloon & Restaurant is worth a look in, if a little touristy (say hello to the python for me ).

The East MacDonnell ranges (particularly Trephina Gorge) are spectaculor. They're were much more deserted than the west ranges (although both a worth a look). Having a 4x4 means you're able to get off the beaten track slightly more easily, so I would recommend it. From the Alice, we toured. So in the NT we visited: Simpsons Gap, Standley Chasm, Ormiston Gorge, the Mereenie loop track, King’s Canyon, Mount Conner, Kata Tjuta and Uluru.

We didn't do the Royal Flying Doctors' base or the school of the air, but I've heard they're interesting.

I love the NT. Hope you have a fab trip.

Last edited by Geordie George; Jun 6th 2007 at 3:17 am.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 3:21 am
Australian Citizen

Originally Posted by Geordie George
I've been.

The Alice is a great base from which to explore. I can't say anything particularly glowing about the town. Avoid the restaurant that combines Indian and Swizz cuisines. (Although a curry after French onion soup was an experience.) Bojangles Saloon & Restaurant is worth a look in, if a little touristy (say hello to the python for me ).

The East MacDonnell ranges (particularly Trephina Gorge) are spectaculor. They're were much more deserted than the west ranges (although both a worth a look). Having a 4x4 means you're able to get off the beaten track slightly more easily, so I would recommend it. From the Alice, we toured. So in the NT we visited: Simpsons Gap, Standley Chasm, Ormiston Gorge, the Mereenie loop track, King’s Canyon, Mount Conner, Kata Tjuta and Uluru.

We didn't do the Royal Flying Doctors' base or the school of the air, but I've heard they're interesting.

I love the NT. Hope you have a fab trip.
Thankyou Nichola
I'll hire a 4x4 for a day or two, and have a look on the map for some of the places you have mentioned ....don't know if I'll get to Uluru/Kata Tjuta this time -but where would you particularly recommend that I can get to in a day ...(remember I'll be driving alone)
ps Realise the McDonnell Ranges are nearby
Old Jun 6th 2007, 3:23 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou Nichola
I'll hire a 4x4 for a day or two, and have a look on the map for some of the places you have mentioned ....don't know if I'll get to Uluru/Kata Tjuta this time -but where would you particularly recommend that I can get to in a day ...(remember I'll be driving alone)
ps Realise the McDonnell Ranges are nearby
About to run out to uni, but I'll look at some photos to jog my memory and get back to you.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 3:24 am
Australian Citizen

Originally Posted by Geordie George
About to run out to uni, but I'll look at some photos to jog my memory and get back to you.
Great - thanks
Have a good day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.