Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Going to Adelaide but need help

Going to Adelaide but need help

Old Jan 7th 2003, 9:13 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough
Default Going to Adelaide but need help

Hi there, my name is Steve Bannister. My wife and I and our two children are moving to Adelaide. We got our Trade Recognition results back a week before Christmas so now we’re ready for the big form. We have used an agent and they have been brilliant. We have a 10-year-old son and a 5-year-old daughter so schooling is a major concern for us. I found an excellent site today at www.sacentral.gov.au that literally tells you everything about the state right down to the names of the shops in the shopping malls. Problem is though, there are about 100 schools listed! What I really need to know is how far anybody else has looked into the housing areas and if anybody could recommend anywhere. That would narrow down our choice of schools. I have noticed from the messages that the people who have moved to Adelaide haven’t told us exactly where you have moved to in Adelaide. Some names of suburbs would be very handy so that I could look them up. Also is there such a thing as an equivalent of an ‘A to Z map’ of Adelaide district that I could buy over here?
I am an Electrician and my wife is a Hair Stylist so if you are already there, could you give me a rough idea of earnings as I hear that both jobs are in demand. I have got folders of research that I have done but there are still quite a few questions that I need to ask. Also, if I can be of help to anybody please ask me.

Thanks, Steve.
Old Jan 7th 2003, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

hi steve

you're just ahead of me..
my tra application -air conditioning/refrigeration- is in perth being 'pre-assessed' my an ex tra guy....

once he's satisfied everythings okay (been s/e for 18 yrs makes it far more complicated) it will get passed on the adelaide

then i can get on with the state sponsored bit (hopefully;-)

however there are loads of people here and in adelaide that can give you pretty much everything you need to know

cheers

richard
Old Jan 7th 2003, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Going to Adelaide but need help

Hi, We're headed to Adelaide too, later in the year....there's also a thread today of several people hoping to go in the next month or two...

We've been over 3 times and have friends in Hillbank, north of hte city. We fancy semi rural acre or so, towards Barossa Valley and have chosen Trinity College Gawler for the kids (7 and 2), and registered their names on the wait list.

Popular area also is Golden Grove area, but some prefer south of the city, for proximity to beaches, but I don't know those areas so well. You need to talk to wizzywozza about that...

Good site for maps is :
http://www.multimap.com/index/AS5.htm

I bought Gregorys street map of Adelaide when I was out there, My bible! Not sure if available here or mail order via Gregories publishing company Australia..

Good luck, feel free to ask your questions here..
Mash..

Originally posted by SteveBannister
Hi there, my name is Steve Bannister. My wife and I and our two children are moving to Adelaide. We got our Trade Recognition results back a week before Christmas so now we’re ready for the big form. We have used an agent and they have been brilliant. We have a 10-year-old son and a 5-year-old daughter so schooling is a major concern for us. I found an excellent site today at www.sacentral.gov.au that literally tells you everything about the state right down to the names of the shops in the shopping malls. Problem is though, there are about 100 schools listed! What I really need to know is how far anybody else has looked into the housing areas and if anybody could recommend anywhere. That would narrow down our choice of schools. I have noticed from the messages that the people who have moved to Adelaide haven’t told us exactly where you have moved to in Adelaide. Some names of suburbs would be very handy so that I could look them up. Also is there such a thing as an equivalent of an ‘A to Z map’ of Adelaide district that I could buy over here?
I am an Electrician and my wife is a Hair Stylist so if you are already there, could you give me a rough idea of earnings as I hear that both jobs are in demand. I have got folders of research that I have done but there are still quite a few questions that I need to ask. Also, if I can be of help to anybody please ask me.

Thanks, Steve.
Old Jan 7th 2003, 9:41 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Good luck with it, ours took about 10 weeks all together.
Old Jan 7th 2003, 10:19 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Can't help with the schools, our kids are grown up and we're heading for the hills but I can tell you that next time you're in london you can get the maps you need in the Australia Shop, just off Covent Garden (and even have an overpriced glass of Victoria Bitter in the Walkabout bar opposite!)

Cheers

Perry
Old Jan 7th 2003, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

when I looked into it before I got loads of stuff from SA house in london..books maps newspapers etc etc..

cheers

richard
Old Jan 7th 2003, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, Steve.
Hi steve,Iam a spark as well and (visa permitting)moving to adelaide in march.We are hoping to settle in the south suburbs beachside which is a bit pricey but very nice.We live in romford at the moment,where are you in essex?My neice works for an agency in adelaide and before xmas they were looking for sparks for 30 dollars an hour.union rate is less than that same as here market determines the rate on contract.Ihave researched colleges and coarses for sparks in adelaide both tafe and private.the tafe takes too long so I`m doing them private.If I can be of any help contact me.best of luck with your application. jockney
Old Jan 8th 2003, 9:47 am
I Know What's Going On!

HI there, thanks for your reply. Romford, eh? Just a snowballs throw away! I'm in Hornchurch, near Harrow Lodge Park. Are you married? Are you taking children? If so what ages? How far down the process are you? Did you have any trouble with your skills paperwork? And finally, when do you plan to go?

Steve.
Old Jan 8th 2003, 9:50 am
I Know What's Going On!

Thanks for your help, Ill check out that web site. I'll be in touch again.

Steve.
Old Jan 8th 2003, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

is your neice looking for air conditioning guys too?;-)

i also need the electrical ticket
what's the test involve and how long costs etc?

cheers

richard
Old Jan 8th 2003, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

oh and i can't get that sacentral site to work...
Old Jan 8th 2003, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point

HI there, thanks for your reply. Romford, eh? Just a snowballs throw away! I'm in Hornchurch, near Harrow Lodge Park. Are you married? Are you taking children? If so what ages? How far down the process are you? Did you have any trouble with your skills paperwork? And finally, when do you plan to go?

Steve.
Snowball,very topical,Yes I am married and my wife is expecting our first in june,therefor we have to travel mid march ish.We hopefully are at the end of the process and are awaiting a decision(shitting a brick at the moment.)Only trouble I had with the skills was getting people to respond with detailed refrences etc but for a spark in london was quite lucky at that point that Ionly had 3 jobs in 7 years.Some of my mates have had 20 jobs in that time therefor I was fortunate in that respect.We are hoping to settle in the stretch beetween glenelg and seacliff suburb names are glenelg south,somerton park,hove,brighton and seacliff.Check your private messages.jockney
Old Jan 8th 2003, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Try

http://www.sa.gov.au/index.jsp

Mash..

Originally posted by r.bartlett
oh and i can't get that sacentral site to work...
Old Jan 8th 2003, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

oh right

i have that in my fav's..i just thought it was a new one..

cheers

richard
Old Jan 9th 2003, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

bleggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Message for Mashiraz

Some friends of ours have their son going to Trinity. From everything we have heard it sounds like by far the best in the area.

Blegs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.