Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Goin to Oz between May - Oct ..... but when??

Wikiposts

Goin to Oz between May - Oct ..... but when??

Old Mar 14th 2005, 10:54 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all
Default Goin to Oz between May - Oct ..... but when??

I'm hoping to be heading out to The Gold Coast in December, but want to get out there sometime before for a holiday / look around kinda thing.

Now the weather is a big factor in why we want to go to Oz, and the Winters are prob more important than the summers, so I think end of July / Beginning of August kinda thing, but am wondering will going earlier or later than these months be any cheaper? (flights / hotels etc)

There will be myself, partner and 2 full paying children so I think I better get saving! still, as I say if it'll be a lot cheaper at any other time in the year, this will have to be taken into consideration.

Were looking at anything between May - end of October time to do this really.

Any thoughts people?
Old Mar 14th 2005, 10:59 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all
Default Re: Goin to Oz between May - Oct ..... but when??

Originally Posted by Jim2004
I'm hoping to be heading out to The Gold Coast in December, but want to get out there sometime before for a holiday / look around kinda thing.

Now the weather is a big factor in why we want to go to Oz, and the Winters are prob more important than the summers, so I think end of July / Beginning of August kinda thing, but am wondering will going earlier or later than these months be any cheaper? (flights / hotels etc)

There will be myself, partner and 2 full paying children so I think I better get saving! still, as I say if it'll be a lot cheaper at any other time in the year, this will have to be taken into consideration.

Any thoughts people?
Oh and forgot to add, any nice hotel recommendations on the coast will be most welcome
Old Mar 14th 2005, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

Oh and forgot to add, any nice hotel recommendations on the coast will be most welcome

If weather is a factor July will certainly be the cooler of the months. I would wait until September/Oct for slightly better temperatures (I mean evening temperatures, daytime is usually good all year round). Surely, if you wait until these months air fares will be cheaper as it would be out of UK school holiday period ? Qld schools do have a holiday in September from the 11th I believe, so hotels would be much cheaper end of month/October. We stayed at the Accor hotel on Broadbeach, with a great ocean view and access to shopping center where you can buy cheaper meals !
Old Mar 14th 2005, 11:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by surfdude
If weather is a factor July will certainly be the cooler of the months. I would wait until September/Oct for slightly better temperatures (I mean evening temperatures, daytime is usually good all year round). Surely, if you wait until these months air fares will be cheaper as it would be out of UK school holiday period ? Qld schools do have a holiday in September from the 11th I believe, so hotels would be much cheaper end of month/October. We stayed at the Accor hotel on Broadbeach, with a great ocean view and access to shopping center where you can buy cheaper meals !
Ooooooo no, we want the worst temperature wise! ...lol. Both myself and partner have different issues with the weather. Medical I mean, but we know it's hot in the summer, but how cold in the Winter months ?? We can look at charts all day but nothing like experiencing it first hand!

As I say though, the heart of Winter there would be good, but the overall cost of the trip HAS to come into it.

Thanks for the tip of the hotel, I'll Google for a website.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 12:47 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Watford eh? Lived near there once.

Anyway, it seems most airlines cheapest period is from May till the middle or end of June (depending which airline) from UK - Oz.

It`s always worth checking out if Brittania are doing any charter flights to Oz. You can`t book direct, but have to contact someone like Austravel (www.austravel.co.uk). Compare with flights via www.traveljungle.co.uk .

from the austravel site:
ESCAPE THE WINTER
Exclusive to Austravel
Discover Australia -
September/October departures fr £549
November fr £499
Christmas 2005 fr £649
January 2006 fr £499
CALL AUSTRAVEL NOW ON 0870 166 2020!

Malaysia Airlines
Australia from £469
New Zealand from £499
Old Mar 14th 2005, 1:05 pm
wombat42

Any thoughts people?
You will get some cold wet days in the southern states, Vic, NSW but wont be so cold in Queensland.

Old Mar 14th 2005, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

Ooooooo no, we want the worst temperature wise! ...lol. Both myself and partner have different issues with the weather. Medical I mean, but we know it's hot in the summer, but how cold in the Winter months ?? We can look at charts all day but nothing like experiencing it first hand!

As I say though, the heart of Winter there would be good, but the overall cost of the trip HAS to come into it.

Thanks for the tip of the hotel, I'll Google for a website.

If your loooking on Google the correct name for the hotel is the Grand Mecure on Broadbeach ! Haggle is a tip - depending on the length of stay ! I find asking the question "whats your best price on that ?" for anything in Aus - gets things cheaper BUT wait until they give you a starting price first !

I can only give you my opinion in terms of temperatures, others may give a different one ! We arrived here last April 24th - weather hot for us 26/27 - May went down a couple of degrees June/July 22/24 degrees maybe - but nights go down to about 15/16, so you will need a cardi or two. May could be another option, no Qld school holidays and from memory no UK school hols either ! Just avoid Aus Public holidays, we arrived to loads !! Restaurants charge an extra 15% on public holidays for the poor staff that have to work and that goes for room service too !

Good luck !
Old Mar 14th 2005, 11:31 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Any thoughts people?
I recommend you take the price of plane tickets into account too when choosing dates. Over the Summer holidays (ours' and there's) they can rise by £200 / ticket. Take a look at the Lees Travel website for some indication of the way they change.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 11:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Stormz

Anyway, it seems most airlines cheapest period is from May till the middle or end of June (depending which airline) from UK - Oz.

It`s always worth checking out if Brittania are doing any charter flights to Oz. You can`t book direct, but have to contact someone like Austravel (www.austravel.co.uk). Compare with flights via www.traveljungle.co.uk .

from the austravel site:
ESCAPE THE WINTER
Exclusive to Austravel
Discover Australia -
September/October departures fr £549
November fr £499
Christmas 2005 fr £649
January 2006 fr £499
CALL AUSTRAVEL NOW ON 0870 166 2020!

Malaysia Airlines
Australia from £469
New Zealand from £499
Thanks for that Stormz, yeah Watford is the place to get out of! ...lol, altho it's not that bad here, just unfortunately part of the UK still

May - end of June sounds good with me, i'll have a look at those links, thanks
Old Mar 14th 2005, 11:41 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Early August is usually the coldest time in Brisbane - 20-21 degree days but down into single figures at night. We often get westerly winds as well which bring the temps down by a degree or 2 (sometimes it gets as low as 18!! :scared: )

July would be next coldest. Cant help with the flights!
Old Mar 14th 2005, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by surfdude
Haggle is a tip Good luck !
Haggle over hotel reservations! :scared:

Originally Posted by Worzel
I recommend you take the price of plane tickets into account too when choosing dates. Over the Summer holidays (ours' and there's) they can rise by £200 / ticket. Take a look at the Lees Travel website for some indication of the way they change.
Yeah I think May time is looking fav, and it's sooner too

Thanks all for contributions I'll get surfing the travel websites now
Old Mar 14th 2005, 11:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
(sometimes it gets as low as 18!! :scared: )
18!!! ........... oh forget it then!
Old Mar 15th 2005, 12:32 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormz

So did I !!!! Right by the football ground and hospital, had all my children there.....NO not in the football ground
Old Mar 15th 2005, 1:13 am
Account Closed

Ok, I've been onto Austravel and this is the best on offer for an end of May depart:

Airline: JAL

30th May Heathrow - Tokyo (5hr stop) - Brisbane for the 1st June

Returning the same route to Heathrow on the 17th June.

£535 ea. The lady on the phone told me (here we go! ...lol) THIS IS VERY CHEAP, YOU MUST BOOK THIS AT ONCE!! ...... as they do!

Does sound ok tho to me.

is it??
Old Mar 15th 2005, 1:43 am
Account Closed

OMG! :scared:

I just had a look at prices of hotels in Brisbane (guessing the Gold Coast will be more ?!) and :scared:

5 hotels starting at £71 per room, per night - £245 per room, per night!

Hmmm, gonna need at least 2 rooms.

So on these figures, the cheapest room:

14 nights at £142 (two rooms) = £1988

or the most expensive:

14 nights at £490 (two rooms) = £6860

:scared: :scared:

Somebody PLEASE tell me this must be a mistake somewhere and it's probably per week not day! (all prices from the one website!)

I thought it was cheaper in Australia?? .......... oh well, off come the glasses!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.