Wikiposts

Godzone

Old Jul 7th 2004, 5:53 am
kong

Originally posted by walla1
Kong

I like you as you make me laugh. Only prob you have is you are a bit subjective but I can live with that, deal with it everyday of the week.

As long as you're prepared to take it (big styley) as well as give it, there's no worries from me.

Could you tell me thou what you seem to hate everything Oz?

Walla
I did not like the inward looking narrow minded outlook of the place. I missed decent pubs, good supermarkets. The obssesion with sport drove me up the wall. The national pastime of pom bashing wound me up. Constantly being told how lucky I as a pom was to be in Godzone and being told that the UK is a dump. Most people I found to be superfiscial, shallow and unwordly.
The place is too remote, expensive to go anywhere overseas

I come on here to give balance, thats all. Most of the posters here already sound Aussie, with their blinkered one eyed Aus is great/UK is a dump threads.

Old Jul 7th 2004, 6:12 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by kong
I did not like the inward looking narrow minded outlook of the place. I missed decent pubs, good supermarkets. The obssesion with sport drove me up the wall. The national pastime of pom bashing wound me up. Constantly being told how lucky I as a pom was to be in Godzone and being told that the UK is a dump. Most people I found to be superfiscial, shallow and unwordly.

I come on here to give balance, thats all. Most of the posters here already sound Aussie, with their blinkered one eyed Aus is great/UK is a dump threads.

OK

Fare enough, but there must have been some good points, good and bad everywhere and all that. You've had a bad experience.

Thing is Kong, on this forum there are both Australians and Europeans and others around the world who all realise that everything isn't a bed of roses in Australia, they freely admit it.

Members get angry with you because it's all negativity coming from your end and it's a case of "tell us something we don't know" see what I'm saying? Show some objectivity.

OK, so you didn't like Oz, fair doos, but lot of people do and a lot of people are hoping to (me included). So give us a break. If we don't like it we'll come back just like you did.

Anyway, enough of that, where in Oz where you?

Walla
Old Jul 7th 2004, 6:15 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Strange thing is I rarely think of entering in to answering your posts Kong. I need to ask....Godzone is usually a NZ thing, Lucky Country is the Aus mis quote. Do you know where these 'names' come from?

And one more question.....what specific balance do you give? A specific example of your experience before each line of generalism you state might give a modicum of balance?

Qualify - do not think quantity outweighs the scale of being an ass?!

(I love mixing metaphors and speeling!)

Old Jul 7th 2004, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Today, I was having a chat with a lady from NZ. Her biggest complaint about NZ'ers? "They are so parochial. It amazes me how they think that NZ is so great, when they haven't even been out of it".

Bit like their trans-Tasman cousins then...
Old Jul 7th 2004, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

trainee_pilot will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Megalania
Mount Isa - copper, lead, silver and zinc:

Bulletins From The Isa
wow home from home, somewhere to put my HSE skills to the test!, thanks Kong for the post, given me hope of work when i get over there
Old Jul 7th 2004, 10:40 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Not only does Aus excell at sport but they are worlds best practiced at winding up narrow minded Poms, spining 'em about and sending them on their way.

Old Jul 7th 2004, 10:51 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by chippy
Ok. Nice pics of industry.

And fair enough, we must have 'balance'. So have we got any proper awful pics of OZ? Bring it on......

Yeah, I'd be pretty worried if there wasn't any industry in Oz!!!

Well, I have 9 years worth of pics from Oz, I'm sure I can find some awful ones!
Though, depends what you find awful.....

We were in Brisbane for 5 days in 1988 (campervan had to go to garage). 'Pissed it down' for the whole 5 days in the 'Sunshine state'!!!
This is Surfers Paradise! (high flats aren't my thing either )
Attached Thumbnails Godzone-surferspara.jpg  
Old Jul 7th 2004, 10:53 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Awful pic of Oz: mother in law arriving at the airport. Staying for 2 months!!!!!!!!!

Ok, this isn't my MIL, this is my grandma.
My MIL is only coming for 1 month (in December)................
Attached Thumbnails Godzone-oma.jpg  
Old Jul 7th 2004, 11:40 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Pool in middle of winter!
Attached Thumbnails Godzone-pool.jpg  
Old Jul 7th 2004, 12:30 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by darkless
Wow look at that blue sky - CAN'T WAIT TO GET THERE

And thats what it's like in the Industrialised area !!

Imagine it in the areas without industry, where you have to travel an hour or so to get to work.

Old Jul 7th 2004, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

This is my first post which I was prompted to make after reading all Kong's negatives about Oz. The generalisations about pubs and supermarkets are just ludicrous. As for Australians being parochial, well, I would venture to say they are among the most travelled people in the world. After finishing high school or uni. an awful lot of them take at least a year to travel the world before they settle down. I've lived here for 38 years and ofcourse, from time to time, there have been things that have annoyed me but that happens no matter where you live. I still believe that Oz is the best place in the world to live and bring up a family. Others wouldn't. After all we are all different. Thank the Lord!!!
Old Jul 7th 2004, 6:20 pm
Megalania

Default Re: Godzone

Originally posted by MikeStanton
    > Today, I was having a
chat with a lady from NZ. Her biggest complaint about NZ'ers? "They are
so parochial. It amazes me how they think that NZ is so great,
when they haven't even been out of it".
    >
    > Bit like their trans-Tasman
cousins then...
Bet you're one of those that think Earth is
the best. :rolleyes:

--
Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 7th 2004, 6:51 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by MikeStanton
Today, I was having a chat with a lady from NZ. Her biggest complaint about NZ'ers? "They are so parochial. It amazes me how they think that NZ is so great, when they haven't even been out of it".

Bit like their trans-Tasman cousins then...
Bet you're one of those that think Earth is the best.
Attached Thumbnails Godzone-deep-space-field.jpg