Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

God Rest You Merry...

God Rest You Merry...

Old Dec 12th 2005, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

avroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really nice
Default God Rest You Merry...

Went to a carol concert last night and was surprised to see that a carol that I have been singing as far back as I can remember has changed it's title:

God Rest You Merry People All!

Is this another case of PC Gone Mad!

avroncotton

Old Dec 12th 2005, 7:23 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: God Rest You Merry...

Originally Posted by avroncotton
Went to a carol concert last night and was surprised to see that a carol that I have been singing as far back as I can remember has changed it's title:

God Rest You Merry People All!

Is this another case of PC Gone Mad!

avroncotton

Yes.

We will also be having

We three Monarchs of orient are
Little Drummer child
Good Monarch Wenceslas
Good people of indeterminate religion rejoice!
Joy to the Universe
One in Royal Davina's city
While sheep-people watched their flocks

And -

I'm dreaming of a coloured Christmas!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 12th 2005, 6:03 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: God Rest You Merry...

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Yes.

We will also be having

We three Monarchs of orient are
Little Drummer child
Good Monarch Wenceslas
Good people of indeterminate religion rejoice!
Joy to the Universe
One in Royal Davina's city
While sheep-people watched their flocks

And -

I'm dreaming of a coloured Christmas!

Cheers

Buzzy
Dont forget Vertically Challenged Donkey
Old Dec 12th 2005, 6:10 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: God Rest You Merry...

Why not "gentlepersons"?
Old Dec 12th 2005, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Why not "gentlepersons"?
It doesn't scan. Try and sing it (out loud if you dare!).

"God rest you, merry gentleper... oh @rse, run out of music"

Old Dec 12th 2005, 6:52 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: God Rest You Merry...

Originally Posted by thribble
It doesn't scan.
I'd consider that a bonus!
Old Dec 12th 2005, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I'd consider that a bonus!
I will give you that - it's my second least favourite carol ever.

The worst one being In The Deep Midwinter. Maybe that's why I'm moving to Oz - they don't have a deep midwinter!