Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

God I own a little bit of Oz...Can I vote yet?

God I own a little bit of Oz...Can I vote yet?

Old Nov 11th 2005, 2:47 pm
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute
Default God I own a little bit of Oz...Can I vote yet?

its a question..?

been here a year (almost) just brought some land and a house.. surely I should be able to vote....

no.. not for another 3 years.W****kers !!!!!!

does this mean I dont have to pay Rates etc....

NO......

mmmmmm..love it here.. would just like to say where my tax goes to...
Old Nov 11th 2005, 2:53 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: God I own a little bit of Oz...Can I vote yet?

Originally Posted by sloake
its a question..?

been here a year (almost) just brought some land and a house.. surely I should be able to vote....

no.. not for another 3 years.W****kers !!!!!!

does this mean I dont have to pay Rates etc....

NO......

mmmmmm..love it here.. would just like to say where my tax goes to...
Try being an Aussie in Britain; it's even worse.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 3:10 pm
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: God I own a little bit of Oz...Can I vote yet?

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

No its not

The worst thing for me is not being able to vote.. having a say in why my tax is being spent

I come from Jersey..(dot off the coast of France)

In the UK, I could vote.. (As could my Aussie partner...)

However I have to now wait for 3 years before I can have a say in how my taxes are being spent.

Where I come from voting is not compulsory.. But a right, that people died for..
Old Nov 11th 2005, 3:22 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: God I own a little bit of Oz...Can I vote yet?

No its not

The worst thing for me is not being able to vote.. having a say in why my tax is being spent.

However I have to now wait for 3 years before I can have a say in how my taxes are being spent.

Where I come from voting is not compulsory.. But a right, that people died for..
I didn't mean that it was worse re. voting; I mean that it's worse for just about everything else.

I can't even get a bank account, despite the fact that I've lived here nearly 2 years and I have a full time, permanent job. The rejection letters never say why I've been rejected, and nobody wants to tell me when I ring up.

Don't even get me started on other aspects of life in the UK.

BTW, the government will spend your taxes however they like; in my experience, voters' preferences on this issue are largely ignored, regardless of which country you live in.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 3:29 pm
chilled member

I didn't mean that it was worse re. voting; I mean that it's worse for just about everything else.

I can't even get a bank account, despite the fact that I've lived here nearly 2 years and I have a full time, permanent job. The rejection letters never say why I've been rejected, and nobody wants to tell me when I ring up.

BTW, the government will spend your taxes however they like; in my experience, voters' preferences on this issue are largely ignored, regardless of which country you live in.
god.. I remember when I first moved to the Uk.,. christ what a nightmare..

as for Bank A/c I was lucky that I have worked in Finance so had some people to call upon to help me open an account

however, get the Utilities in your name, get registered for Council Tax, Take your lease in, a letter from your boss.. then you can open an UK Bank account. (its all about Tax / Terrorist / ) abuse..

good luck
Old Nov 11th 2005, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

No its not

The worst thing for me is not being able to vote.. having a say in why my tax is being spent

I've been in the UK for over 25 years and can't vote in the Parliamentary elections. Does it bother me? Nope. Not one little bit.

Whoops : Forgot to congratulate you on your purchase.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 3:43 pm
chilled member

Originally Posted by marco121068
I've been in the UK for over 25 years and can't vote in the Parliamentary elections. Does it bother me? Nope. Not one little bit.

Whoops : Forgot to congratulate you on your purchase.

?? why cant you vote?

I was there 6 yrs and voted each and everyone one..

my partner was there 2 years, and he voted...

so 25 yrs ? very surprised.. you are filling those Voter Registrations forms that come through arent you? if not complain to the local coucil

sad. and I know it is.. but Every One shoud Vote. and yes you should be Forced to make your way to the polling station...people died for this right...
Old Nov 11th 2005, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

?? why cant you vote?

I was there 6 yrs and voted each and everyone one..

my partner was there 2 years, and he voted...

so 25 yrs ? very surprised.. you are filling those Voter Registrations forms that come through arent you? if not complain to the local coucil

sad. and I know it is.. but Every One shoud Vote. and yes you should be Forced to make your way to the polling station...people died for this right...
'cos I'm not a British Citizen (and have no plans to obtain it!). I do vote in the Italian parliamentary elections and in the local council elections however.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 4:49 pm
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

couldnt agree more- at least with Oz if your in your in-here they make you remain in a state of limbo for years-and they wonder why they get a lousy quality of immigrant-only losers would put up with such sh-t.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 11:56 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong, but I THINK you can go on the electoral roll, even if you can't vote. From memory there was something on the form I used to fill in. All banks/credit checkers use the electoral roll as proof of address in the UK, so if you can get yourself on that, Vash, things might be easier.
If you are a Commonwealth citizen you may be able to vote in some elections.

http://www.electoralcommission.org.u...urvotefaqs.cfm

bit interesting........from the fact sheet at that link. Seems to indicate Aussies cna vote in the UK....nice to see its reciprocated!

" The position of Irish and Commonwealth citizens in the UK is due to the traditionally close ties that exist between our countries. The Representation of the People Act 1918 provided that only British subjects could
register as electors. However, the term ‘British subject’ included any person who, at that time, owed allegiance to the Crown, regardless of the
Crown territory in which they were born. This included Commonwealth citizens."
Old Nov 12th 2005, 12:07 am
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Can I ask (in the nicest possible way, and not meaning to be funny) why you are there if you don't like it?
Old Nov 14th 2005, 1:00 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
bit interesting........from the fact sheet at that link. Seems to indicate Aussies cna vote in the UK....nice to see its reciprocated!

" The position of Irish and Commonwealth citizens in the UK is due to the traditionally close ties that exist between our countries. The Representation of the People Act 1918 provided that only British subjects could
register as electors. However, the term ‘British subject’ included any person who, at that time, owed allegiance to the Crown, regardless of the
Crown territory in which they were born. This included Commonwealth citizens."

Australians can vote in the UK only because the British government has never legislated to ensure that only British citizens can vote. Sooner or later this will be done, after that point citizens of Commonwealth countries and the Republic of Ireland will need to take out British citizenship if they want to vote.

Australia passed legislation restricting the vote to Australian citizens in the early 1980s. Citizens of Commonwealth countries who were on the Australian electoral roll as of 25 January 1984 may generally keep their voting rights.

Jeremy
Old Nov 14th 2005, 1:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Australians can vote in the UK only because the British government has never legislated to ensure that only British citizens can vote. Sooner or later this will be done, after that point citizens of Commonwealth countries and the Republic of Ireland will need to take out British citizenship if they want to vote.

Australia passed legislation restricting the vote to Australian citizens in the early 1980s. Citizens of Commonwealth countries who were on the Australian electoral roll as of 25 January 1984 may generally keep their voting rights.

Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy!

I'd heard the bit about pre-1984 before, but when I posed the question I was told that Qld don't recognise it, though most other states do! Typical!!