Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

God give me STRENGTH!

God give me STRENGTH!

Old May 27th 2014, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: God give me STRENGTH!

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
To be fair, there are matches where one team wins hansomely but one team that was perhaps losing makes a huge bid in one of the quarters threatening to change the outcome. A one-sided game can still even up in the final quarter and a final score then decides it...1 goal can outdo a quarter of behinds.....it pays to be accurate....

I have to admit that soccer can be just as pedestrian with the ball going backwards and forwards...the fans do get very worked up...it is a low scoring affair.
I have been to numerous 0-0 draws more exciting than a close AFL match.

Also something AFL fans will never understand is the thrill when your team scores a goal and you just totally got mental and end up rows away from where you originally were and hug complete strangers.

At the first ESFC v WSW derby last October when we scored I ended up jumping around all over with the women sat next to me We hadn't even talked before the goal lol

With AFL it is...well done another goal clap clap clap...ooooo just missed but he got a behind..more polite clapping......The score ticks over so often where is the thrill in it?

It isn't the quantity of the scoring it is the quality and rareness that thrills.

Last edited by Jon77; May 27th 2014 at 11:47 am.
Old May 28th 2014, 1:22 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

There is only one way to even remotely enjoy going to a game of AFL/NRL/soccer/rugby union and that is to be invited to share a corporate air-conditioned box with comfortable seats and free food and booze. In 30 years here I've been to 3 AFL games and 2 rugby league matches - all from corporate boxes. You would have to be totally fanatical to want to sit in the stands for 2 hours!
Old May 28th 2014, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
There is only one way to even remotely enjoy going to a game of AFL/NRL/soccer/rugby union and that is to be invited to share a corporate air-conditioned box with comfortable seats and free food and booze. In 30 years here I've been to 3 AFL games and 2 rugby league matches - all from corporate boxes. You would have to be totally fanatical to want to sit in the stands for 2 hours!
TOTALLY AND UTTERLY disagree with you, more so than any other post on BE since I have been reading it lol

The only place to be is in the stands with your fellow fans, chanting until your voice goes and having some great banter.

Not stuck up with the suits in a stuffy corp box munching on prawn sandwiches and supping wine.

I hope they introduce the safe standing areas they are talking about putting in so I can spend a few hour stood up

I think we come at sporting experiences from two totally different angles
Old May 28th 2014, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
To be fair, there are matches where one team wins hansomely but one team that was perhaps losing makes a huge bid in one of the quarters threatening to change the outcome. A one-sided game can still even up in the final quarter and a final score then decides it...1 goal can outdo a quarter of behinds.....it pays to be accurate....

I have to admit that soccer can be just as pedestrian with the ball going backwards and forwards...the fans do get very worked up...it is a low scoring affair.
I've not seen any live like that, I've seen quarters on TV at peoples houses where the residents hark up at the events on TV, they've been relatively interesting.

I've seen some half decent grand finals on TV, mostly because I've been to a grand final function, but what really gets me, is he closest games of the lot, the very rare draws, bring condemnation all round and they from the point of view of a real football watcher tend to be he most exciting games of the lot.
Old May 28th 2014, 2:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee

I'd give my ticket away if I had one of those, .... Maybe just maybe I'd go to a corporate for a neutral game, but I'd even find that difficult.

No way could I not stand for an entire game. Luckily this is allowed in the active areas at A league games.

Caviet I reckon I'd be happy with a box at the cricket.

Safe Standing is definitely on the agenda for the new proposed ground at Selhurst Park..... The whole of the bottom of the Holmesdale, circa 8-10K proposed.... Thats because the owners are real supporters and fully understand the strong desire to bring it back.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 28th 2014 at 3:03 am.
Old May 28th 2014, 3:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
I was taken to a Swanies games and was advised I would love it and never look back.

The best the atmosphere got was-

Swanies clap clap clap
Swanies clap clap clap
Swanies clap clap clap

This was their only song / chant

There was an old lady sat across the aisle knitting and an old fella further down doing that thing where you are almost falling asleep and your head falls forwards and wakes you up again....repeat 10 times.

It was soul destroying in every way possible.
Can't stand NRL (thank f**k we don't have it in WA), don't mind AFL, love Super 15

But one of the worst aspects of team sports in Australia is the family nature of the crowd - old grannies, young kids, whole families. Team ball sports should be attended with your mates, dad, brother, son - maybe your girlfriend/wife (as long as they are interested). Everyone else should watch it at home on the TV
Old May 28th 2014, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

I'd give my ticket away if I had one of those, .... Maybe just maybe I'd go to a corporate for a neutral game, but I'd even find that difficult.

No way could I not stand for an entire game. Luckily this is allowed in the active areas at A league games.

Caviet I reckon I'd be happy with a box at the cricket.

Safe Standing is definitely on the agenda for the new proposed ground at Selhurst Park..... The whole of the bottom of the Holmesdale, circa 8-10K proposed.... Thats because the owners are real supporters and fully understand the strong desire to bring it back.
They have already bolted a section of safe standing rails to the North terrace at Parramatta and they have been there under test all season. The seats have been locked upright the whole time mind, I have never seen them down yet.

They are supposed to be replacing the whole of the RBB end with these rails but like all these things the red tape seems to take forever.
Old May 28th 2014, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
But one of the worst aspects of team sports in Australia is the family nature of the crowd - old grannies, young kids, whole families. Team ball sports should be attended with your mates, dad, brother, son - maybe your girlfriend/wife (as long as they are interested). Everyone else should watch it at home on the TV
At least you're honest!
Old May 28th 2014, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Can't stand NRL (thank f**k we don't have it in WA), don't mind AFL, love Super 15

Agree with the comment on NRL. In Qld you either love it or have to get immune to it as it is the only thing in papers, Tv, Radio, News etc
Old May 30th 2014, 3:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
I have been to numerous 0-0 draws more exciting than a close AFL match.

Also something AFL fans will never understand is the thrill when your team scores a goal and you just totally got mental and end up rows away from where you originally were and hug complete strangers.

At the first ESFC v WSW derby last October when we scored I ended up jumping around all over with the women sat next to me We hadn't even talked before the goal lol

With AFL it is...well done another goal clap clap clap...ooooo just missed but he got a behind..more polite clapping......The score ticks over so often where is the thrill in it?

It isn't the quantity of the scoring it is the quality and rareness that thrills.
Maybe - but soccer has never really been my game - I find the chanting a bit moronic.

I've not seen any live like that, I've seen quarters on TV at peoples houses where the residents hark up at the events on TV, they've been relatively interesting.

I've seen some half decent grand finals on TV, mostly because I've been to a grand final function, but what really gets me, is he closest games of the lot, the very rare draws, bring condemnation all round and they from the point of view of a real football watcher tend to be he most exciting games of the lot.
I've only seen a few live games - and draws are of course rare. The goals may tick over but then it's a question of never quite knowing who might win - it's a bit like Cricket in that respect. Alot can happen in the final quarter - and indeed even 5 minutes. An entire game of AFL can be won or lost in 40 seconds. I like the concept of AFL - athletic running, catching and kicking but can't be passionate about it. Still - I much prefer rugby.

Originally Posted by Icecube
Agree with the comment on NRL. In Qld you either love it or have to get immune to it as it is the only thing in papers, Tv, Radio, News etc
I don't mind League and can enjoy it. I would rather play League than Union, but prefer to watch and immerse myself in Union.
I actually chose to play League when I first arrived in Australia, choosing it in favour of Union.

But I was a bit of an old bastard and I was pushing myself. Wingers are good when they are in their 20s, not in their 30s! The constant backing up and running forwards shags you..in the UK, there is time to have a cup of tea between plays whilst the ball is on the opposite side of the field...you have to put the cup down on the saucer and start running for those cover tackles on the other side of the field....he he it's all timing and interception...

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; May 30th 2014 at 3:56 am.
Old May 30th 2014, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

NRL generally doesn't tickle me, though I do enjoy watching State of Origins. I'll take rugby union any day of the week. Starting to get into the A-league. Not sure why, the standard is shite.
Old May 30th 2014, 4:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Beoz
NRL generally doesn't tickle me, though I do enjoy watching State of Origins. I'll take rugby union any day of the week. Starting to get into the A-league. Not sure why, the standard is shite.
Compared to what though, There are very few teams around the world that play at Premier league standard. The top average from around the world is more like the Championship league. On some rare occassions and it does happen, some A league teams put in little spells that would match the top of the 2nd tier of English football. One thing the A league does have going for it, it's every bit as competitive as the Championship league in England. If you accept that with the money available here, and unfortuantely it does come down to money at the end of the day, your faced with teams that bascially average out at League one status... They do have plenty of good days though, and maybe some could survive in the Championship.

Personally I'm very uneasy with the effect that the premier league has had on football and everything around it.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; May 30th 2014 at 4:43 am.
Old May 30th 2014, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Compared to what though, There are very few teams around the world that play at Premier league standard. The top average from around the world is more like the Championship league. On some rare occassions and it does happen, some A league teams put in little spells that would match the top of the 2nd tier of English football. One thing the A league does have going for it, it's every bit as competitive as the Championship league in England. If you accept that with the money available here, and unfortuantely it does come down to money at the end of the day, your faced with teams that bascially average out at League one status... They do have plenty of good days though, and maybe some could survive in the Championship.

Personally I'm very uneasy with the effect that the premier league has had on football and everything around it.
Compared to exactly what you said, though, as mentioned, the A-league is growing on me