Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

God give me STRENGTH!

God give me STRENGTH!

Old May 20th 2014, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: God give me STRENGTH!

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Anyway guys I have news .........................We have booked our flights today!! We are moving to Melbourne!

Holy crap!!Sweet mother of Jesus!!! I'm moving to Australia on the 28th of August!

So Ozzie, Jad, BC and Badge, you have Molly on team Melbourne!

You lucky people!

Thank you very much for all the info guys, it's been a great help.
Ahhhhhh well, we did our best to turn you away from the dark side towards the light.

Good luck, hope it all works out for you.
Old May 21st 2014, 3:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway guys I have news .........................We have booked our flights today!! We are moving to Melbourne!

Holy crap!!Sweet mother of Jesus!!! I'm moving to Australia on the 28th of August!

So Ozzie, Jad, BC and Badge, you have Molly on team Melbourne!

You lucky people!

Thank you very much for all the info guys, it's been a great help.
Must feel better now you have a date and destination,

If the boys moan about no surf, drive them them down bells beach sometime mid winter
Old May 21st 2014, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
What? All those tourists by the opera house?
Oh is that what you call them!
Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Oooh, I used to have one of those when I was at uni!!
They can be iffy about wood, but as long as it is varnished and not raw, and doesn't have holes in it you should be ok. I presume it is going in a container and not on the plane!!
I can't believe you had one of them Caroline, they weigh a bit don't they? In fact how on earth did you mange to get it from A to B without a horse and cart + a servant?
I'm not too sure about taking it, it might cause me problems in transit....

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Good choice,
Well Ozzie I've gone off these factors, decent schools, affordable housing in a nice area ( renting of course, I know buying is not exactly cheap) and easy access to the CBD (work). Yes the weather is unpredictable, but 3 out of 4 isn't bad.

Originally Posted by Jon77
Ahhhhhh well, we did our best to turn you away from the dark side towards the light.

Good luck, hope it all works out for you.
Lol cheers Jon.

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Must feel better now you have a date and destination,

If the boys moan about no surf, drive them them down bells beach sometime mid winter
I know a date and destination. Wow, it's all real now
I'm looking forward to it , we can start to get organised etc....

Eldest boy is not impressed, I don't think he actually believed we were ever going to go, but booking the flights has made it real for everyone.

Anyway, he'll be fine once spring summer kicks in and upon arrival I'll just try and keep them both as busy as possible.

Bells beach looks amazing! I knew very little about Melbourne until a few days ago, now I'm bloody moving there.

It's strange how things work out......
Old May 21st 2014, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe you had one of them Caroline, they weigh a bit don't they? In fact how on earth did you mange to get it from A to B without a horse and cart + a servant?
You mean you are taking it on the plane?????? You won't get any luggage in as it will eat up your allowance.

My dad helped me take it to uni, and once unpacked it made a useful table in my squalid digs. We are talking late 70's, early 80's, and the trunk had been in the family and had been used to transport belongings all round the world as dad was often posted to foreign climes. I think it had been my gran's case originally.

Get large but lightweight suitcases that can hold all the stuff you need. Ship the trunk.
Old May 22nd 2014, 12:21 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know if I can take one of these, old traveling trunks, ( some parts are wood) this isn't mine, but mines very similar?
...The lengths that people go to to smuggle granny and granddad into the country.
Old May 22nd 2014, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Oh is that what you call them!

Well Ozzie I've gone off these factors, decent schools, affordable housing in a nice area ( renting of course, I know buying is not exactly cheap) and easy access to the CBD (work). Yes the weather is unpredictable, but 3 out of 4 isn't bad.

Lol cheers Jon.

I know a date and destination. Wow, it's all real now
I'm looking forward to it , we can start to get organised etc....

Eldest boy is not impressed, I don't think he actually believed we were ever going to go, but booking the flights has made it real for everyone.

Anyway, he'll be fine once spring summer kicks in and upon arrival I'll just try and keep them both as busy as possible.

Bells beach looks amazing! I knew very little about Melbourne until a few days ago, now I'm bloody moving there.

It's strange how things work out......
Hi Molly:
You've made a good choice.
one final weather comment:
they predict the weather quite well in Melbourne. It can change week to week in Spring particular, and there are changes in the day - but they can predict quite well.

A mate of mine writes the software that predicts it all...clever boy.
Old May 22nd 2014, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
FYI, we don't have a summer fire season at all in Brisbane...we have a short one after winter as winter is our dry season. Fires are more a thing out west of brisbane where weather is more temperate.
Thanks for the correction - I had in mind QLD SE - I suppose.
Melbourne doesn't have a fire season either - too much suburbia and concrete - it's the outlying areas that have one....

seriously - there are mini bushfires on highways where people throw cigarettes etc but apart from smoke (Molly sometimes a few days a year you can smell , and see blown-in smoke from 'campaign' fires out in Gippsland 100k away etc) many city residents would see fire as something that happens to others - living in the ranges etc. In fact comments after the bad fires of 2009
were quite derogatory in some quarters - 'why would anyone even think of living in a bush fire zone' - the answer might be- 'why cross the road?'
Old May 22nd 2014, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Rhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
they predict the weather quite well in Melbourne. It can change week to week in Spring particular, and there are changes in the day - but they can predict quite well.
I'd agree with that - the forecasts are normally accurate.

Molly, you will come to know something called a 'cool change', particularly in the summer when a hot, northerly wind from the interior of Australia is replaced very quickly by a much cooler wind from (normally) the south-west. It brings temperature relief after a hot spell and they can often predict it to within a half-hour of the occurrence. Temperatures can drop 15 - 20 degrees c. in a very short time-frame.
Old May 22nd 2014, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rhubarb65

Molly, you will come to know something called a 'cool change', particularly in the summer when a hot, northerly wind from the interior of Australia is replaced very quickly by a much cooler wind from (normally) the south-west. It brings temperature relief after a hot spell and they can often predict it to within a half-hour of the occurrence. Temperatures can drop 15 - 20 degrees c. in a very short time-frame.
It's amazing actually- and when you go on to Bureau of Meteology you can watch the change come in across the Bay - looking at locations- and see temps plummet 15 degrees in less than half an hour - and the wind change direction.

I'm not so sure if other state capitals get such quick (and indeed welcome) changes.

That SW change is hazardous for firies fighting a fire as the flanks of a fire blowing say south can become a much longer head (front of fire - direction of travel) travelling NE - and firies can get caught out.
Old May 22nd 2014, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
You mean you are taking it on the plane?????? You won't get any luggage in as it will eat up your allowance.

My dad helped me take it to uni, and once unpacked it made a useful table in my squalid digs. We are talking late 70's, early 80's, and the trunk had been in the family and had been used to transport belongings all round the world as dad was often posted to foreign climes. I think it had been my gran's case originally.

Get large but lightweight suitcases that can hold all the stuff you need. Ship the trunk.
Noooooo! I'm not taking it on the plane! Jeesuz....Can you imagine!

Mine has been used as a bedding box, and nowadays they are actually used more for coffee tables, it seems.

I don't think Im going to bother taking it to Oz now.

Too much hassle.

Originally Posted by paulry
...The lengths that people go to to smuggle granny and granddad into the country.
I honestly don't believe my Grans backside would have fit in there, never mind her husband.
Hi Molly:
You've made a good choice.

A mate of mine writes the software that predicts it all...clever boy.

Yeah I think I've made a good choice Badge, the right one for me and my family anyway.
I've been researching Melbourne almost non-stop recently and the more I find out about it, the more I like it......I feel very positive about the move.

Originally Posted by Rhubarb65

I've been reading all about the wind you mention, it's interesting stuff.

Such a big temperature drop in a short space of time is strange indeed.
Old May 22nd 2014, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Why would the berbs send you nuts? Do mean because there isn't as much to do there?

What areas are near the beaches in Sydney?
Burbs come in for criticism as they are neither country or city.
There is not really a UK equivalent unless you come from a burb of Manchester, B'Hum or London. That said, you could live in a little estate on the edge of a town or city anywhere in the UK and feel just as bored. At least in the UK there might be a village pub.

The thing about the burbs in Australian cities is that they are large - especially in Sydney and Melbourne and life can be very conformist - house, yard, BBQ, shopping trip to a mall. No pub as such - perhaps a RSL or tavern on shops in a strip. It's the basis of why some people hate living here.

In Melbourne there are whole newspapers that forget that people live out, and if they do they must be 2nd class citizens. Melbournes' burbs sprawl to the SE, Sydney's to the W. Apart from the N and E beaches and close in to the city, the entire of Sydney is one big burb, obviously there are exceptions..... Apart from the cost, it's a good reason to not live there. Melbourne is a bit easier to get around - no harbour to transit etc.

Another reason to come to Melbourne....visit the Arts Centre or a venue...
and guess who might be appearing there....performing if you like..

me.

No more details...I want to protect me identity...

Cheers

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; May 22nd 2014 at 12:21 pm.
Old May 22nd 2014, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Another reason to come to Melbourne....visit the Arts Centre or a venue...
and guess who might be appearing there....performing if you like..

me.

No more details...I want to protect me identity...

Cheers

Tut you sod! You can't leave me hanging now!

Another reason I'm looking forward to moving there is, I'm a big fan of art, both of my parents are artists. My Dad actually does it for a living, my mum just for the pleasure.
I paint too, for pleasure and maybe one day to sell and there doesn't seem a better place than Melbourne to sell artwork.
I'm looking forward to checking out the art scene there big time.
Old May 22nd 2014, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

It's amazing actually- and when you go on to Bureau of Meteology you can watch the change come in across the Bay - looking at locations- and see temps plummet 15 degrees in less than half an hour - and the wind change direction.

I'm not so sure if other state capitals get such quick (and indeed welcome) changes.

That SW change is hazardous for firies fighting a fire as the flanks of a fire blowing say south can become a much longer head (front of fire - direction of travel) travelling NE - and firies can get caught out.
Yep, in Sydney it is called a Southerly buster that rolls up the coast and can be very dramatic indeed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4043jtUoSk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41mo-9P-_Bg

I have known temps in Sydney drop from 45c to 18c in the space of just a few minutes!

The best place to be when a southerly buster rolls up is on the Manly ferry Great fun

These changes are more dramatic than in Melbourne because of the way the change interacts with the Illawara escarpment and ranges, gives a funneling effect that can cause storm force winds and a big roll cloud of the front edge.

Love being at the coast watching these move in
Old May 22nd 2014, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tut you sod! You can't leave me hanging now!

Another reason I'm looking forward to moving there is, I'm a big fan of art, both of my parents are artists. My Dad actually does it for a living, my mum just for the pleasure.
I paint too, for pleasure and maybe one day to sell and there doesn't seem a better place than Melbourne to sell artwork.
I'm looking forward to checking out the art scene there big time.
I am an artist and I live in Sydney Chippendale in Sydney has many private galleries and the modern art gallery at circular quay and the NSW gallery are in sperate buildings but combined they match the main gallery in Melbourne which houses modern and traditional together.

Maybe not Melbourne's level yet in this area but we are fast catching up.

Last edited by Jon77; May 22nd 2014 at 12:39 pm.
Old May 22nd 2014, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jon77
I am an artist and I live in Sydney Chippendale in Sydney has many private galleries and the modern art gallery at circular quay and the NSW gallery are in sperate buildings but combined they match the main gallery in Melbourne which houses modern and traditional together.

Maybe not Melbourne's level yet in this area but we are fast catching up.
Wow! Nice one Jon do you do it for pleasure or as a living?

You don't seem the arty type, far too sensible.......:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.