Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

God give me STRENGTH!

God give me STRENGTH!

Old May 19th 2014, 11:31 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: God give me STRENGTH!

having lived in Cronulla in Sydney and Williamstown in Melbourne I can definitely say I love them both. Williamstown and Altona are cheap to rent because they are in the west and near the refineries. But they are great places for commuting as you can go under the Westgate bridge.
Melbourne has more extreme weather than Sydney but it doesn't get the humidity. The cold is fierce near the coast due to a biting wind. Sydney seems to get more rain than Melbourne.
Both places have a laid back beach lifestyle.
Whichever you live in you will find plenty to enjoy.
Old May 19th 2014, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
What major international city only has public transport to an airport via a bus or taxi?
Auckland! Does not have a train to the airport! Actually the infrastructure is pretty lacking throughout. Although is Auckland a major international city?

I usually post on the NZ board, but since I visited Australia recently, I come on here to have a read.

Back to topic...
Old May 19th 2014, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: God give me STRENGH!

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Brisbane does not offer much of a beach lifestyle, the Sunshine Coast might but it is a reasonable commute from Brisbane and not many would want to do that on a daily basis, so I would not necessarily tie the two together.
Redcliffe is a possible Brisbane beach place...like a Melbourne bayside beach rather than a beautiful Sydney beach.

@OP: The bonus of course is that it is often warm and pleasant (20c+) during the day right through winter in Brisbane unlike Melbourne which is only wetsuit surfing or beach walking with jacket weather for a long part of the year.

In Brisbane you can have winter beach holidays/long weekends to Moreton Island/Stradbroke Island for example or drive to Bribie Island. I've even been sunburnt in winter

Re Sydney and Melbourne I love both for different reasons. Both great cities though with unlimited funds Sydney would get my money overall.

Something I always consider was brought up tonight when talking to a colleague up from Melbourne. He said the prices in Melbourne meant he lived 25km out. Because of this he said he experiences far less city life than he did when he spent a few years in Brisbane. Sydney is obviously worse again. It obviously depends on circumstances though.

So even though those cities are more exciting sometimes the expense of them can mean you don't live anywhere near them so they end up duller overall. Adelaide may be a better urban bet on some budgets. Often where you can afford to live in a city affects things just as much as which city. You may spend a lot of your life in a less than exciting satellite suburb far from the promoted stuff. That still might be preferable for some but worth considering I think if you are choosing a place for it's urban stuff.

Last edited by fish.01; May 19th 2014 at 2:55 pm.
Old May 19th 2014, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Make sure you look near "Williamstown beach" MC..... Like so

http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...town-413071279
Yep! Will do.
I've been having a good look today. I've also watched a few vids on YouTube of the area, it looks nice.

Do you know anything about the high schools in the area?

Originally Posted by fish.01
@OP: The bonus of course is that it is often warm and pleasant (20c+) during the day right through winter in Brisbane unlike Melbourne which is only wetsuit surfing or beach walking with jacket weather for a long part of the year.

In Brisbane you can have winter beach holidays/long weekends to Moreton Island/Stradbroke Island for example or drive to Bribie Island. I've even been sunburnt in winter

Re Sydney and Melbourne I love both for different reasons. Both great cities though with unlimited funds Sydney would get my money overall.

Something I always consider was brought up tonight when talking to a colleague up from Melbourne. He said the prices in Melbourne meant he lived 25km out. Because of this he said he experiences far less city life than he did when he spent a few years in Brisbane. Sydney is obviously worse again. It obviously depends on circumstances though.

So even though those cities are more exciting sometimes the expense of them can mean you don't live anywhere near them so they end up duller overall. Adelaide may be a better urban bet on some budgets. Often where you can afford to live in a city affects things just as much as which city. You may spend a lot of your life in a less than exciting satellite suburb far from the promoted stuff. That still might be preferable for some but worth considering I think if you are choosing a place for it's urban stuff.
I really do like Brisbane and I love the Sunshine Coast. It's lovely there but unfortunately there isn't as much work for the hubby as there is in the bigger cities.

As for city life, I can take it or leave it. I'm used to living in a village with around 150 -200 people, so not much going on really apart from the odd Barn-Boogie
Oh and the Village fair.

Did the camera arrive?

Thank you everybody for your input/advice I appreciate it.
Old May 19th 2014, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Assumptions on weather will bring you unstuck. Ill take Melbourne's longish hot dry summers over Brisbanes long humid wet summers any day. Melbournes short winters are cold and damp but blink, and they are gone.
Old May 19th 2014, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Weezer
Auckland! Does not have a train to the airport! Actually the infrastructure is pretty lacking throughout. Although is Auckland a major international city?

I usually post on the NZ board, but since I visited Australia recently, I come on here to have a read.

Back to topic...
Auckland is a dump. Driving to the airport through suburban streets in rush hour is so last century
Old May 19th 2014, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Assumptions on weather will bring you unstuck. Ill take Melbourne's longish hot dry summers over Brisbanes long humid wet summers any day. Melbournes short winters are cold and damp but blink, and they are gone.
Which would you choose out of Sydney and Melbourne?

I know you live in Sydney, but that's for work, right?
Old May 19th 2014, 9:30 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
As for city life, I can take it or leave it. I'm used to living in a village with around 150 -200 people, so not much going on really apart from the odd Barn-Boogie
Oh and the Village fair.
I'm rather like that too but the kids yearn to be near a large city. It'll possibly be the same for yours
Old May 19th 2014, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paulry
I'm rather like that too but the kids yearn to be near a large city. It'll possibly be the same for yours
They have never really experienced city life before haven't my lads, I mean we go to London a fair bit but only for a few days at a time.

It will be interesting to see how they react in that environment, hopefully I've done a good job of bringing them up and they wont end up turning towards the darker side of city life.
Old May 19th 2014, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Which would you choose out of Sydney and Melbourne?

I know you live in Sydney, but that's for work, right?
I could live in Melbourne. I like visiting the place which I do regulary for work. I sometimes take the weekend and drive to the coast or up north. Inner Melbourne is great. The suburbs would send me nuts. Then again the western subs of Sydney would send me nuts. I like being near the beaches and the waterways in Sydney. They are very beautiful and there is lots to do. As an irish colleague visiting said to me once 'Sydney is the only city in Australia that is a proper city without trying'.
Old May 19th 2014, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

I could live in Melbourne. I like visiting the place which I do regulary for work. I sometimes take the weekend and drive to the coast or up north. Inner Melbourne is great. The suburbs would send me nuts. Then again the western subs of Sydney would send me nuts. I like being near the beaches and the waterways in Sydney. They are very beautiful and there is lots to do. As an irish colleague visiting said to me once 'Sydney is the only city in Australia that is a proper city without trying'.

Why would the berbs send you nuts? Do mean because there isn't as much to do there?

What areas are near the beaches in Sydney?
Old May 19th 2014, 9:55 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

As an irish colleague visiting said to me once 'Sydney is the only city in Australia that is a proper city without trying'.
I've got no idea what this even means!
Old May 19th 2014, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bcworld
I've got no idea what this even means!
Some bizarre Irish poetry. He also mentioned atmosphere.
Old May 19th 2014, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Why would the berbs send you nuts? Do mean because there isn't as much to do there?

What areas are near the beaches in Sydney?
Yes. Mowing the lawns all weekend is not my idea of fun.

You may want to look to the north or south of central Sydney. More bang for your buck. That said, you can access the beaches pretty quickly from inland. But dont stray too far.
Old May 19th 2014, 10:00 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Some bizarre Irish poetry. He also mentioned atmosphere.
I totally take on board all the comments about Melbourne from the Sydneysiders on this thread...but surely Melbourne is more 'atmospheric' than Sydney?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.