Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Go on, why Bayside ?

Go on, why Bayside ?

Old Oct 28th 2006, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Go on, why Bayside ?

Just a quick question, as you might or might not know we have not got a clue where to settle when we get to Oz, thought of Springfield lakes but with comments of "Trueman show" has sort of put us off.
We will be renting first, but we'd want to buy in the area were we will be renting. Don't want to settle and then have to move area's.

So why have so many gone to "Bayside" and whats the attraction ?

Be moving over in January.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Go on, why Bayside ?

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
Just a quick question, as you might or might not know we have not got a clue where to settle when we get to Oz, thought of Springfield lakes but with comments of "Trueman show" has sort of put us off.
We will be renting first, but we'd want to buy in the area were we will be renting. Don't want to settle and then have to move area's.

So why have so many gone to "Bayside" and whats the attraction ?

Be moving over in January.
Because Brits like to watch their neighbours eating breakfast ]

Lots of facilities on Bayside, shopping etc, likewise traffic to match. It is however cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter than in land.
Lots of pluses along with minuses, all depends what you want. We stayed on bayside for 3 weeks when we first arrived, wasn't impressed, not for us, horses for courses and all that.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 2:57 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Heres some reasons :

Bay breezes - cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter than inland
By the sea - handy for watersports (kayak and scuba freak that I am) - sailing, fishing and all that watery fun
Only 30 mins into the city
Most of the suburbs on the Bay have a smaller town feel to them without the disadvantages of actually being a small town.
Close to the Gateway Motorway to head north to the sunshine coast and south to the gold coast.
Good solid house prices that will remain stable with an established market.
Contrary to popular belief its NOT little britain which seems to be a standing joke on this board purveyed by people from the northside mainly (a long standing south -v- north divide in Brisbane).
Most the areas are older established neighbourhoods with excellent infrastructures unlike some inland new built mini-city estates.
Good cycling routes along the sea.
Mount Cotton close by for Equestrian pursuits (wife is an instructor - its important to us)
RAIN! - Do not underestimate that one. Bayside gets rain which after a while you begin to understand the importance of. Its supplied by Stradbroke to Redlands and dam levels are sitting at 85% and we dont have the water restrictions of Brisbane City Council or some of the drought ridden inland areas.
Personally walking my dog on Wellington Point out to King Island watching the sea and feeling some sand beneath your feet with glistening water on either side with glimpses of dolphins and sea turtles kinda makes bayside a no brainer to me.

Bayside is a large area though normally used to describe the coastal stretch from Wello Point down to Redland Bay and beyond and there are good and bad places much like everywhere else. There are places I would not live and others I cant afford to live hehe.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Bayside is a large area though normally used to describe the coastal stretch from Wello Point down to Redland Bay and beyond and there are good and bad places much like everywhere else. There are places I would not live and others I cant afford to live hehe.

Centurion I thank you for the effort you have put in to this post, Makes me want to live there now!

What are the bad area's ?

Basically were a family of four with 2 kids under 5, as with many people buying for the first time and not knowing the area the recommendations from members of the forum are very valuable.

Ian
Old Oct 28th 2006, 11:52 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

We were out in Bayside for a reccie in August the owners of the place where we stayed advised us to avoid Alexandra Hills and Capalaba. Not sure why they did not give any reasons we had a drive round and it looked fine to us. I must stress this is not our opinion before anyone shouts out me.

We stumbled on Bayside by accident while looking for sports clubs for the kids {two lads 12, 11} keen footballers and swimmers.

You can get a water taxi to Stradbroke Island about 20 mins and get to fantastic beaches, while there we saw whales, dolphins and kangaoros the little ones would love it.

Although this was first choice for us having seen some of the Sunshine Coast I have to say I am tempted by Mooloolaba and Mountain Creek but perhaps it is a little too far to get to work for hubby he hasn't looked for jobs yet so not sure.

Bayside is a lovely area I really liked Wellington Point for all the reasons Centurion gave...

best wishes
Kaye
Old Oct 28th 2006, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wardy2
We were out in Bayside for a reccie in August the owners of the place where we stayed advised us to avoid Alexandra Hills and Capalaba.
Does anyone know why ?

Any other areas to avoid ?
Old Oct 28th 2006, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know why ?

Some people are snobby and up themselves for no reason. We are all working class at the end of the day

There are some lovely houses in Capalaba and Alex Hills. It's like anywhere, there are some good and some not so good. This is the same with any area.

My advice would be to reserve judgement and take a look first. There is lots to choose from and until you look round you wont know.

Good luck
Old Oct 29th 2006, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Does anyone know why ?

More than anything TRAFFIC. When we arrived in qld we had to get acroos Capalaba on a Saturday afternoon and it shocked me. It took about 15 minutes just to do a U-turn on the Dual carraige way. Horrendous traffic, but that may be because of all the shops there.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 6:51 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by The S's
More than anything TRAFFIC. When we arrived in qld we had to get acroos Capalaba on a Saturday afternoon and it shocked me. It took about 15 minutes just to do a U-turn on the Dual carraige way. Horrendous traffic, but that may be because of all the shops there.
Agree the traffic on the main *mad mile* is bad as it is where all the shops are however not all areas in Capalaba and Alex Hills are like this.

Most of the houses are away from the main shopping areas and there is less traffic
Old Oct 29th 2006, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Can't wait

Were moving because I can't get use to the slow pace of life here (more to do with work)
To be honest traffic does not bother me, but saying that when we went back to the UK I shite myself with 3 lanes bumper to bumper, you go out of Christchurch and a duel carriageway turns in to a single lane, and that the state highway 1
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Agree the traffic on the main *mad mile* is bad as it is where all the shops are however not all areas in Capalaba and Alex Hills are like this.

Most of the houses are away from the main shopping areas and there is less traffic
I agree, not all of it is a shopping complex so cannot comment on the rest. Just spent last night in Manly harbour during the Halloween parade, lovely cute area but I felt like a sardine squeezed into a small tin, crowds worse than I have experienced in the UK.
Bayside seems to be a lifestyle choice, its not for me, but if you enjoy the busy hussle and bussle of cafe culture etc then I am sure you will love it. Must agree though wellington point is gods own country, great place, Raby bay, pretentious tart hole, IMHO thats all. Love that holiday vibe in Welly Point, not exempt from the hoon element any more than anywhere else though. Doesn't matter how much you research or spend likelihood is you will have a rev head son next door, life in Aus I'm afraid.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:09 am
Account Closed

Can't wait

Were moving because I can't get use to the slow pace of life here (more to do with work)
To be honest traffic does not bother me, but saying that when we went back to the UK I shite myself with 3 lanes bumper to bumper, you go out of Christchurch and a duel carriageway turns in to a single lane, and that the state highway 1
If you want a busier area with a *town like* feel then Capalaba or Alex Hills might be right up your street [pardon the pun ]

At the end of the day everyone has a different view of what they want so the only way you will know is if you see for yourself
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:14 am
Account Closed

I agree, not all of it is a shopping complex so cannot comment on the rest. Just spent last night in Manly harbour during the Halloween parade, lovely cute area but I felt like a sardine squeezed into a small tin, crowds worse than I have experienced in the UK.
Bayside seems to be a lifestyle choice, its not for me, but if you enjoy the busy hussle and bussle of cafe culture etc then I am sure you will love it. Must agree though wellington point is gods own country, great place, Raby bay, pretentious tart hole, IMHO thats all. Love that holiday vibe in Welly Point, not exempt from the hoon element any more than anywhere else though. Doesn't matter how much you research or spend likelihood is you will have a rev head son next door, life in Aus I'm afraid.
It's funny but it just goes to show we all see things differently. The fact you went to Manly during a Halloween parade means you were bound to get crowds and traffic. It was a public function after all.

I live in the area [Wynnum] and the thing I LOVE about it here is the opposite i.e it has a *villagy* feel rather than a *town* feel and there is hardly ever any traffic, except of course on public occasions, then I keep away

Horses for courses as they say. There's no right or wrong, just different tastes. Wouldn't be good if we all wanted the same hey m8
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
It's funny but it just goes to show we all see things differently. The fact you went to Manly during a Halloween parade means you were bound to get crowds and traffic. It was a public function after all.

I live in the area [Wynnum] and the thing I LOVE about it here is the opposite i.e it has a *villagy* feel rather than a *town* feel and there is hardly ever any traffic, except of course on public occasions, then I keep away

Horses for courses as they say. There's no right or wrong, just different tastes. Wouldn't be good if we all wanted the same hey m8
Absolutely, we are in our mid 30S from a big city and really want a lifestyle change so are looking for the peace and quiet of a sparsely populated area.
We have just bought acreage in Karalee and lots of people think we are odd as there is nothing there, but it is our lifestyle choice, so it suits us.
Also acreage on the Bayside is like hens teeth and then when it is available it is more expensive than gold due to the fact the rarity of land in a densely populated area. I can see the appeal of the Bayside and may consider it when our kids have grown up, just for the social aspect. It is just not for us now thats all. I am sure if you are from NZ it will be ace but from the bright lights of B'ham it just int for me
Old Oct 29th 2006, 9:06 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely, we are in our mid 30S from a big city and really want a lifestyle change so are looking for the peace and quiet of a sparsely populated area.
We have just bought acreage in Karalee and lots of people think we are odd as there is nothing there, but it is our lifestyle choice, so it suits us.
Also acreage on the Bayside is like hens teeth and then when it is available it is more expensive than gold due to the fact the rarity of land in a densely populated area. I can see the appeal of the Bayside and may consider it when our kids have grown up, just for the social aspect. It is just not for us now thats all. I am sure if you are from NZ it will be ace but from the bright lights of B'ham it just int for me

Get some space on that aceage for us lot! We bought the tent and are looking forward to making a bit of noise in your peace and quite! Great to spend time with you guys again. Had a ball. Sadie, I really think we were the best dancers there!

Cheers

Ginny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.