Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Go to Uni or move straight away?

Go to Uni or move straight away?

Old Jan 1st 2014, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

callumum354 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Go to Uni or move straight away?

I am currently 17 years old studying my A-Levels at college i've always wanted to move to australia and have been a couple of times on holiday. I was wondering what would the job prospects be for an 18 year old with no degree is there a chance of getting a decent job with a good chance of progression? Or should i go to university and get a degree to help with my job prospects?

If i was to go to university i realise i would be in a lot of debt so would i be able to afford moving to australia?
Old Jan 1st 2014, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Go to Uni or move straight away?

You probably won't get a visa being an unskilled 18 yr old other than a Working holiday Visa for 12 months (with the possibility of extension if you work in the bush for a while). By all means take a gap year then get your degree - degrees are pretty mandatory in Aus.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

Would the debt from the unis be a problem?
Old Jan 1st 2014, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Go to university, Australia is not going anywhere. You won't be able to be to Australia as an 18 year old (unless you are a citizen), so by time you can you can have saved up some money.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

Fair enough thank you for your opinions. Bit gutted as i want to move as soon as possible
Old Jan 1st 2014, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callumum354
Fair enough thank you for your opinions. Bit gutted as i want to move as soon as possible
I think the only way that would happen would be if your parents wanted to move and were able to get a visa. For the rest of us, we are generally older than you and have established ourselves in a career and found a path to Australia as a skilled worker. I was 39 when I applied for my visa.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you so desperate to come to Australia?

You could have a gap year before Uni, and do a WHV- that would give you a chance to see if you really love it here. Then go back and get your degree, mature a bit get some experience in your chosen profession, and then if you still want to come here, apply for a visa.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

Ive visited it a couple of times one of them being an exchange trip with my school where I stayed at a families house in townsville and then one in perth. Ive always wanted to move away ever since I was about 10 years old its pretty much my only goal in life.
I also love wildlife especially reptiles and spiders and whilst in perth I remember having dinner with my exchange family and I saw a redback spider crawling past the table outside the redback spider is something which ive read about and it was just incredible seeing one so casually.
It is also one of the most beautiful countries I have ever been to. I remember the drive from townsville to cairns and i couldnt take my eyes off the forests.
Finally im not the most adventurous type however I just genuinely cant stand the thought of living in the UK when i leave university.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 12:44 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Ive visited it a couple of times one of them being an exchange trip with my school where I stayed at a families house in townsville and then one in perth. Ive always wanted to move away ever since I was about 10 years old its pretty much my only goal in life.
I also love wildlife especially reptiles and spiders and whilst in perth I remember having dinner with my exchange family and I saw a redback spider crawling past the table outside the redback spider is something which ive read about and it was just incredible seeing one so casually.
It is also one of the most beautiful countries I have ever been to. I remember the drive from townsville to cairns and i couldnt take my eyes off the forests.
Finally im not the most adventurous type however I just genuinely cant stand the thought of living in the UK when i leave university.
Unfortunately, the Australian immigration department would care nought for any of the above, they're only interested in people who can contribute (at least on paper) within their current desires and needs - so you're going to need to go to Uni, get qualified, get experience and then look at what the visa situation is, if you want to live in Australia for any length of time.

As others have suggested, have a gap year, come on a WHV, do your 3 months rural (which will then qualify you for another year's WHV) and then go to Uni.

Australia really isn't going anywhere. It has many of the same issues of any other first world country, including the UK.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 4:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I am currently 17 years old studying my A-Levels at college i've always wanted to move to australia and have been a couple of times on holiday. I was wondering what would the job prospects be for an 18 year old with no degree is there a chance of getting a decent job with a good chance of progression? Or should i go to university and get a degree to help with my job prospects?

If i was to go to university i realise i would be in a lot of debt so would i be able to afford moving to australia?
Start here - http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/417.aspx with thr info on working holidays and then read all the info on skills visas so you have something to aim for in a few years time. Aus isn't going anywhere, and if you really want it it's worth waiting for
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

I like the idea of a WHV by the time ive left college I will have two years experience working in a pub/restaurant so do you think getting bar or waiting work would be the best option? I do really enjoy it
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I like the idea of a WHV by the time ive left college I will have two years experience working in a pub/restaurant so do you think getting bar or waiting work would be the best option? I do really enjoy it
No, you are not going to be able to move to Australia on the back of a couple of years of bar work. When we say it takes work experience we mean in a trade or profession.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

And even if you fancy doing bar work on a WHV then you will need an Aussie certificate (RSA - Responsible Service of Alcohol) just your experience won't cut it.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

I understand that im not going to be able to permanently move with 2 years bar experience. I also understand i'll have to get that RSA ive heard its fairly easy to do although it does cost. What i was saying is do you think if I came over on a WHV applying for bar work would be my best bet.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I understand that im not going to be able to permanently move with 2 years bar experience. I also understand i'll have to get that RSA ive heard its fairly easy to do although it does cost. What i was saying is do you think if I came over on a WHV applying for bar work would be my best bet.
Your best bet for what?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.