Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Go and read the 'returning to the uk' forum

Wikiposts

Go and read the 'returning to the uk' forum

Old May 2nd 2004, 3:38 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Dreamaway for responding.

I can't help but feel that most of us returnees are just ignored. Maybe it's time to leave this forum aswell. Its seems like all you coming to OZ only want to hear the good and cannot see the value of what we are saying in our own "moving back to UK forum".
Its always taken as a bad thing....don't you think how bloody hard it is for alot of us to go back,emotionally and financially don't you think we have days where we question it ourselves?Again I speak for myself only on that front, but I am sure if you were to ask any others they will tell you their feelings on it .

Still as I have said before I wish you all happiness and luck. What I won't do myself is sit and suffer unhappiness/loneliness just for the sake of being here and not wanting to seem a failure in whoever's eyes...like people who see it as that really count !! NOT !!!Perhaps in a few years some of you may find yourselfs in the "moving back to the Uk" forum, who knows eh !!

So Dreamaway thanks again for the luck..I know it won't be easy.
Hope all goes well for you too and I mean that.

Cheers

Pants

Adieu !!

Last edited by Pants; May 2nd 2004 at 3:41 pm.
Old May 2nd 2004, 6:28 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pants
I can't help but feel that most of us returnees are just ignored. Maybe it's time to leave this forum aswell. Its seems like all you coming to OZ only want to hear the good and cannot see the value of what we are saying in our own "moving back to UK forum".
Adieu !!
STAY!!!!!!!

First of all, this forum is for Expats, not wannabe (officially)
Second: I know a lot of people find it very interesting and helpful reading all your comments.
That's proved by this thread.
A lot also don't want to hear the 'bad', but they're just silly!

Good luck with you move! I know it's a tough decision moving (back) anywhere, my parents did it too.

Simone
Old May 2nd 2004, 6:40 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Simone82
STAY!!!!!!!

First of all, this forum is for Expats, not wannabe (officially)
Second: I know a lot of people find it very interesting and helpful reading all your comments.
That's proved by this thread.
A lot also don't want to hear the 'bad', but they're just silly!

Good luck with you move! I know it's a tough decision moving (back) anywhere, my parents did it too.

Simone
Awww shucks thanks Simone....come to NSW for a good chat and a bevy eh !!

Its nice to think people do find it helpful...after all thats the intention behind most of the threads isn't it??advice/help/support.
You know I never had any help here and I found that very hard, forcing myself to go out and join mother's groups etc( not my idea of fun), join the gym etc....and then trying to make conversation with people time and time again who ignore you.

I have an Aussie mate over in Kent at the moment and she is finding it sooooooooo hard to make friends. Shes a hairdresser, works 2 days in a salon, has 3 kids, hubby is a PE teacher and the poor love is just gutted as no-one hardly ever acknowledges her..school mums especially. Luckily we have been mates for a year now and she knows exactly what I went through when I first came here but still it does not ease her loneliness. So any mums from Broadstairs out there let me know cos I have avery mad Aussie mate who would love to have a laugh or 2....!!!

Anyway like I said this is just my experience ok....right now off my soap box...
Old May 2nd 2004, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Clare Everest is an unknown quantity at this point

We are in the middle of deciding whether to return to the UK...

One thing that I will never regret nor will many others is the fact that we have tried it!!

I am loving OZ for some reasons and hating it for others... one thing i do love is the fact that it has shown me what is important in life and how to enjoy myself!! Without moving to OZ I would never have experienced this.

All I can say is that I will never look back and say I wonder.
Old May 2nd 2004, 7:22 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Pants, don't deprive those of use without the rose tints just because of the few that do have them. Lots of people on here value the views of somebody who has experienced what a lot of us are trying to get to now.
Its always taken as a bad thing....don't you think how bloody hard it is for alot of us to go back,emotionally and financially don't you think we have days where we question it ourselves?Again I speak for myself only on that front, but I am sure if you were to ask any others they will tell you their feelings on it .
Obviously I don't know how hard it is but can only imagine. I'm sure it is a tougher decision to head back than to go in the first place.
Still as I have said before I wish you all happiness and luck. What I won't do myself is sit and suffer unhappiness/loneliness just for the sake of being here and not wanting to seem a failure in whoever's eyes...like people who see it as that really count !! NOT !!!Perhaps in a few years some of you may find yourselfs in the "moving back to the Uk" forum, who knows eh !!

Cheers

Pants

Adieu !!
Good luck with the move but please don't feel you shuold be forced out of here because your views are not always the happy / grass is greener kind.
Old May 2nd 2004, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

estarriol is an unknown quantity at this point

Sometimes this forum degenerates into a slugfest between those who didn't get on with Aus and those who love it and take the criticism very personally. That alone makes me hide mostly in the "moving back to the UK" forum, as most of my experiences in Aus have been negative and I'm longing to return to the UK.

That being said, I think anyone who is seriously considering moving to Aus should read this forum AND the "moving back to the UK" forum before they make any concrete decisions. There seems sometimes to be a dreamy optimism that all will be rosy here, and it seems like people don't want to read the accounts of those who have liked it because it might break their bubble. I think the negative accounts are as useful as positive ones, and I'd encourage everyone to take a balanced view on this. If you change your mind by reading a balance of accounts, you've probably done yourself a big favour.

Right, I'm going back to lurking in my corner. :-)
Old May 2nd 2004, 7:33 pm
Live the moment

Your right wmoore its people who refer to us a whinging poms or failures who will miss out somewhere in life.

Sorry having a bad day ..trying to sell house, daughter not well all the usual stuff!!..
At the end of the day I left UK to be with my Aussie hubby here and set up a "new life ". Well I came here with 5 month old baby and we both just got on with it. The excitement of finding a house, buying all new furniture the lot. Then after all that and sadly huge family feuds with my sister-in-law( hubby's sister) I took a step back and had a good think about it all. My hubby had always said he wanted to live in OZ and not the UK so imagine it when after yet another crap Christmas full of tears and just the 3 of us, he suggested we move back to the UK. So we talked and talked until a definate decision was made. Hence our situation now.

I agree with Claire I can say that I have not regretted coming to OZ at all but perhaps only to where we are living now. Hindsight is great though isn't it.!!I also feel I will possibly have the best of both worlds as I can always come back for holidays and to visit old mates.

I do wish I had more money to travel around OZ ...still perhaps in a few years when we have earn't enough pounds to return again for a good time !!!
Old May 2nd 2004, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

Pants

Adieu !!
Hope and Pray that it does work out.I have been having doubts this week and hope that I CAN cope emotionally with leaving my family and friends and hope that I have the strength to get through it.
.Do not ever feel that you have failed as you had the guts in the first place to try and better your life.It is going to be hard to return to the UK but it will be all worth it to find your hapiness again.Life is one long emotional rollercoaster and unfortunatley we all have plenty of ups and downs.
When you guys who come on the Forum with your reasons for coming back home may feel that you are ignored in fact on the contrary we read with interest but have to admitt it does scare us off.But all the same I do read the coming home forum as it does me good and makes me realise its not all greener on the other side.
Old May 2nd 2004, 8:11 pm
Live the moment

Dreamaway

Where are coming from? where are you planning to move to etc? I would love to hear your plans..thats if you don't mind sharing on forum.

Cheers

Pants
Old May 2nd 2004, 8:18 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I read all sections of the forum and take on board what everybody says.
If I then make a decision it will be based on weighing up the pro's and cons.
I have been accused of being 'negative' simply for pointing out a few realities of the whole process. And I am one of the ones who is going, not returning!
Without balance this forum would be a complete waste of time.

If anyone simply wants to hear fantasies and hopeless optimism just go and read the 'deadside' (as Don puts it).
If this forum was like that I would not bother with it.
Carry on posting everyone.

G
Old May 2nd 2004, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Dreamaway

Where are coming from? where are you planning to move to etc? I would love to hear your plans..thats if you don't mind sharing on forum.

Cheers

Pants
Right well firstly we are coming from the East Midlands we live 7 miles outside of Nottingham and have two chioldren one 5 and one 18months.
Planning on going to Perth Mandurah as we have second cousins there.
Have been going on about emigrating to OZ for years and have decided to go for it.Loads of reasons really.
We are now in the process for the long wait.Our agent tells us we should hear about Meds Police checks around November time.
Until then I suppose I should not worry and forget about it but coming on this forum is so addictive.
The plan is to go over April -May next year to validate and check out work schools jobs etc.We shall then decide if its what we really want and if not it will be one costly adventure but at least we will Know what we really want for our family.
Do not want to be too positive until I have been out and seen for myself .We have close friends who have just been to Perth for 3 weeks reckon its fabulous.We shall see.
Old May 2nd 2004, 8:33 pm
Live the moment

Originally posted by Dreamaway 10
Right well firstly we are coming from the East Midlands we live 7 miles outside of Nottingham and have two chioldren one 5 and one 18months.
Planning on going to Perth Mandurah as we have second cousins there.
Have been going on about emigrating to OZ for years and have decided to go for it.Loads of reasons really.
We are now in the process for the long wait.Our agent tells us we should hear about Meds Police checks around November time.
Until then I suppose I should not worry and forget about it but coming on this forum is so addictive.
The plan is to go over April -May next year to validate and check out work schools jobs etc.We shall then decide if its what we really want and if not it will be one costly adventure but at least we will Know what we really want for our family.
Do not want to be too positive until I have been out and seen for myself .We have close friends who have just been to Perth for 3 weeks reckon its fabulous.We shall see.
Good for you Dreamaway. If you have spent all that time thinking about it then it's perhaps it's best you do come out and just see for yourselves. What works does hubby do? Have you got much family around you there??

This forum is very addictive...eekkkkk.!!still its beats crap telly sometimes !!

Sounds like you have your head well and truly screwed on !!You will do just fine I'm sure.

Pants
Old May 2nd 2004, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks comments much appreciated.
Old May 2nd 2004, 8:45 pm
Live the moment

Originally posted by Dreamaway 10
Thanks comments much appreciated.

Likewise
Old May 2nd 2004, 8:45 pm
ABCDiamond

This forum is very addictive...eekkkkk.!!still its beats crap telly sometimes !!
It sure does And more than sometimes

Pants, don't leave the forum, I am sure your posts are very valid to a lot of people. They may not all reply, but I am sure they will be taken on board.

Make sure you empasize your location, well, at least after you have sold your house that is Oh yes, and after i have sold mine there too !!

What are your opinions on that area, if you feel like explaining them. I am curious to now how similar they are to my views on the area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.