Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Go and read the 'returning to the uk' forum

Wikiposts

Go and read the 'returning to the uk' forum

Old Apr 30th 2004, 12:43 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Herman
Why is it that the 'you only live once' brigade are not willing to spend one short year learning a foreign language to open up closer emigration opportunities.
Interesting question. I started learning Spanish last year because Spain or the Balearics was on the cards but we just decided that Oz had more to offer for us. Nothing to do with being lazy.
Of course that might make visiting the UK or being visited easier but (for me at least) that's not the point.
Old Apr 30th 2004, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

interesting comment re languages.
I had to learn Marati when I lived in India for 2 yrs, and a bit of Malaya Bahasa and Mandarin in Singapore so I'm not adverse to trying languages! ....but I failed French at school!
Old Apr 30th 2004, 12:53 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Just one point that does irritate me a bit, don't know why but it does. I think France is by the far the most beautiful country in the world, even having lived in Oz and travelled to many far flung places. Why is it that the 'you only live once' brigade are not willing to spend one short year learning a foreign language to open up closer emigration opportunities. If life is really to be made the most of, then why are people too lazy to learn a language? Don't mean to offend anyone by that, but just something that niggles me. I agree that you only live once and should make the best of it, so why narrow your opportunities by only looking at english speaking countries?
I agree with you Herman
I think France is beautiful in parts and it would suit me fine.Both my wife and I speak French only mine is limited

The reason We are moving to Australia is because of our sons.One is a citizen and the other is planning to go back out in a couple of years.
We are retiring and want a change although I still love Britain.
I would stay in the UK except that we want to move when my wife retires anyway so Australia seems attractive.

As to why more people don't want to go to france.There have been several anti French sentiments expressed on this site in the time I have been on it. Some views I would class as xenophobic and apply to all foreigners
Australia and New Zealand are seen by some to simply be an extension of England despite the huge number of australians of indochinese and european origin.
Funny old world

G
Old Apr 30th 2004, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Go and read the 'returning to the uk' forum

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
this site has drilled into me about balance, so all you 'not sures' go and look at the above forum.

It really opened my eyes to how much people miss the UK and what it has to offer. It was a bit wierd reading about things that most of us take for granted.

I for one am going to oz with hubs and daughter with my eyes wide open but reading the 'returnees' comments about being back have really cut a nerve.

The hard part I feel is going with a positive outlook whilst remaining realistic. If I keep purely positive I'll be in for a shock , but if I start worrying about what I won't like I'll already be approaching it negatively. Very very hard to keep that balance thats all I'm trying to say

Jill
I have been looking at the other forum for some time and yes it is interesting to read why people are returning to the UK.I for one find it all very depressing but cannot stop myself from reading it anyway.I think at the end of the day all of us are trying to better our lives and wether or not we are doing the right thing we shall just have to wait and see.
This week in particular I have been feeling low,all sorts of stuff going on,and I have been having doubts .I think the whole process of emmigrating is so stressful and I am not sure if I am strong enough to get through the emotional side of it and the responsibility of 2 young children.(Hoping I will be in a more positive frame of mind next week.)
A close friend has just returned from a 3 week holiday in Perth she thought it was fabulous,but has decided against emmigrating as her husband has a really good business over here in the uk and feels that he cannot give up his business to start over again in Oz.
I think we will go for it as it is an opportunity not to be missed we would always regret it if we did not.!
I think everyone who has done it and even the ones who have not been happy earn my respect as you need balls to go and try and better your life in the first place.
Old Apr 30th 2004, 1:23 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Grayling
That's it.

"take paradise - put up a parking lot"

G
I thought it was 'paved paradise' - maybe I'm just a bit deaf!

'If life is really to be made the most of, then why are people too lazy to learn a language?'

Good point Herman, but I don't think it's just a language thing, there are the cultural differences to consider as well as the way things are done - each country has it's own idea of bureaucracy, and my understanding of French bureaucracy is that paperwork is their king.

The Oz Visa application system is pretty exciting though isn't it?
Old Apr 30th 2004, 1:32 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by arnie2oz
I thought it was 'paved paradise' - maybe I'm just a bit deaf!
I think you are right.
That has been bugging me

G
Old Apr 30th 2004, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Just one point that does irritate me a bit, don't know why but it does. I think France is by the far the most beautiful country in the world, even having lived in Oz and travelled to many far flung places. Why is it that the 'you only live once' brigade are not willing to spend one short year learning a foreign language to open up closer emigration opportunities. If life is really to be made the most of, then why are people too lazy to learn a language? Don't mean to offend anyone by that, but just something that niggles me. I agree that you only live once and should make the best of it, so why narrow your opportunities by only looking at english speaking countries?

For some of us its not just a question of learning a language to use to get by in another country, there would also be professional/technical qualifications needed to work there. These are a damn sight harder to get when using a 2nd and very newly learnt language.

Thats one of the main reason why I'm emigrating to an English speaking country.
Old Apr 30th 2004, 1:50 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally posted by sjn2003
For some of us its not just a question of learning a language to use to get by in another country, there would also be professional/technical qualifications needed to work there. These are a damn sight harder to get when using a 2nd and very newly learnt language.

Thats one of the main reason why I'm emigrating to an English speaking country.
That is a fair point.
In many professions UK qualifications are not accepted in Europe whereas they are in Australia.
Nursing is a good example.

I would also need to have to very fluent in another language if I wanted to practice as a Psychotherapist which Is what I used to do before I retired and may well do again. I do not think I could achieve that degree of fluency even if I could speak very good French.

G
Old Apr 30th 2004, 6:16 am
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by Dreamaway 10
I have been looking at the other forum for some time and yes it is interesting to read why people are returning to the UK.I for one find it all very depressing but cannot stop myself from reading it anyway.I think at the end of the day all of us are trying to better our lives and wether or not we are doing the right thing we shall just have to wait and see.
This week in particular I have been feeling low,all sorts of stuff going on,and I have been having doubts .I think the whole process of emmigrating is so stressful and I am not sure if I am strong enough to get through the emotional side of it and the responsibility of 2 young children.(Hoping I will be in a more positive frame of mind next week.)
A close friend has just returned from a 3 week holiday in Perth she thought it was fabulous,but has decided against emmigrating as her husband has a really good business over here in the uk and feels that he cannot give up his business to start over again in Oz.
I think we will go for it as it is an opportunity not to be missed we would always regret it if we did not.!
I think everyone who has done it and even the ones who have not been happy earn my respect as you need balls to go and try and better your life in the first place.
Feel exactly like this. Thanks for all the replies.
The 'returning to the UK' forum is addictively depressing ! but valid all the same.
Just doing my head ina bit at the moment and just want to get there and then I'll know if I like it or not. At the moment all I'm doing is basically making assumptions of what I may or may not like, which is dangerous and mad, I have no real idea what to expect.
Need to chill

Jill

a big one me thinks

Old Apr 30th 2004, 6:20 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Why is it that the 'you only live once' brigade are not willing to spend one short year learning a foreign language to open up closer emigration opportunities. If life is really to be made the most of, then why are people too lazy to learn a language? Don't mean to offend anyone by that, but just something that niggles me. I agree that you only live once and should make the best of it, so why narrow your opportunities by only looking at english speaking countries?
Excellent point, I speak French fluently having lived there for 18 months and studied French to degree level. It's an easy language to learn for English speakers. The French NEVER act unwelcome (except maybe a few Parisians!) to people speaking French, they are amongst the friendliest and nicest people on the planet. They have twice as much land to go round as the Brits, their food is top cookie and the wine is brilliant too!
Old Apr 30th 2004, 6:28 am
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Excellent point, I speak French fluently having lived there for 18 months and studied French to degree level. It's an easy language to learn for English speakers. The French NEVER act unwelcome (except maybe a few Parisians!) to people speaking French, they are amongst the friendliest and nicest people on the planet. They have twice as much land to go round as the Brits, their food is top cookie and the wine is brilliant too!
Never been to France, but all of the 'lets buggar off to another country' programmes always show France as very friendly.
I for one would find not speaking the language initially very hard for the settling in process, almost scary. But on reflection a lot less scary than moving 11,000 miles away
:scared:

It is something we have discussed as the next move after Oz :scared:

Jill

Old Apr 30th 2004, 6:38 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Never been to France, but all of the 'lets buggar off to another country' programmes always show France as very friendly.
I for one would find not speaking the language initially very hard for the settling in process, almost scary. But on reflection a lot less scary than moving 11,000 miles away
:scared:

It is something we have discussed as the next move after Oz :scared:

Jill
We've got a few options, too. France and Spain and Greece to start with but I think a lot of people underestimate the attractions of a few Eastern European countries like Bulgaria which will be in the EU in a couple years.
Old Apr 30th 2004, 11:34 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Feel exactly like this. Thanks for all the replies.
The 'returning to the UK' forum is addictively depressing ! but valid all the same.
Just doing my head ina bit at the moment and just want to get there and then I'll know if I like it or not. At the moment all I'm doing is basically making assumptions of what I may or may not like, which is dangerous and mad, I have no real idea what to expect.
Need to chill

Jill

a big one me thinks

Hi Jill

sorry to hear you find the returning to UK depressing. I suppose there has to be a balance and these are just people's views.I for one are thankful to know I am not alone in my reasons for returning.

I read what many people say here on the OZ to NZ forum and some I find so dreamy but it's not for me to comment as I think you have to find out for yourselves. It's a risk many are willing to make and if any of you have family already here then it's a huge plus point.

All people can do is tell you the basics but emotions are just for the individual and no-one can help you with that. You will have to wait to get here for that.!

Well I hope I haven't depressed you and I am sure many other returnees on the forum feel the same. We need to talk about our experiences also and when you are homesick believe me it helps. Why do so many seem to consider homesickness as some sort of failure, it is not.

Lets face it we all have different reasons to come to OZ and us peeps heading back are the same.

I really wish anyone who comes here alot of happiness. I do not dislike Australia at all. In fact I will misscertain things about it but I know for me I will be happier back home. Let's hope so eh !!That's just me !!

So good luck Jill with your move...take the negative bits from what us returnees have said and use them as positives for your arrival.

All the very best, life is too short to be worrying too much....go grab it and make the most of it !

Pants for you Jill

Last edited by Pants; Apr 30th 2004 at 11:58 am.
Old May 1st 2004, 2:43 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Well Jill looks like I can also kill a thread !!!yikes....

Cheers

Pants
Old May 2nd 2004, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pants
Hi Jill

sorry to hear you find the returning to UK depressing. I suppose there has to be a balance and these are just people's views.I for one are thankful to know I am not alone in my reasons for returning.

I read what many people say here on the OZ to NZ forum and some I find so dreamy but it's not for me to comment as I think you have to find out for yourselves. It's a risk many are willing to make and if any of you have family already here then it's a huge plus point.

All people can do is tell you the basics but emotions are just for the individual and no-one can help you with that. You will have to wait to get here for that.!

Well I hope I haven't depressed you and I am sure many other returnees on the forum feel the same. We need to talk about our experiences also and when you are homesick believe me it helps. Why do so many seem to consider homesickness as some sort of failure, it is not.

Lets face it we all have different reasons to come to OZ and us peeps heading back are the same.

I really wish anyone who comes here alot of happiness. I do not dislike Australia at all. In fact I will misscertain things about it but I know for me I will be happier back home. Let's hope so eh !!That's just me !!

So good luck Jill with your move...take the negative bits from what us returnees have said and use them as positives for your arrival.

All the very best, life is too short to be worrying too much....go grab it and make the most of it !

Pants for you Jill
Pants interesting read and I openly respect your comments and wish you all the best for your future back in the UK.Dreamaway:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.