Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Go and read the 'returning to the uk' forum

Wikiposts

Go and read the 'returning to the uk' forum

Old Apr 29th 2004, 3:28 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Go and read the 'returning to the uk' forum

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
I found some statistics that tend to agree with that:
They show the breakdown of Permanent Resident departures, by the length of time that they have been in Australia.

15.1% Under 1 year
19.6% 1-3 years
14.7% 3-5 years
12.9% 5-10 years
17.7% 10-20 years
19.4% 20 or more years
0.6% Unstated

The % quoted is the % of the number that left during the year.
"well there you go then munn" ooh you statistics person you. Glad to see the stats agree with me..lol.. must find stats for lettuce

not that I agree with stat's .. because you can probably up those figures again , as I've said before some aussie Citizens ( like me) will not be declaring anything when I fly out out of here, so will not be included in the statistics.

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 29th 2004 at 3:32 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2004, 3:39 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Ceri
"well there you go then munn" ooh you statistics person you. Glad to see the stats agree with me..lol.. must find stats for lettuce
If you find any stats for lettuce, let me know, i've been looking

not that I agree with stat's .. because you can probably up those figures again , as I've said before some aussie Citizens ( like me) will not be declaring anything when I fly out out of here, so will not be included in the statistics.
The %'s quoted should be about right as you will find that others will be like you aswell, but spread equally between the age groups, therefore maintaining a statuts quo with the % statistics.

PS: If we "up" the figures we end up with more than 100% !!

Old Apr 29th 2004, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by yvsie
i never really wanted to get away from anything....i just wanted to experience life here in oz that's all.

Having said that...we are better off financially here...ie no mortgage etc....

......losing a brother suddenly at the tender age of 44 makes you think..hey that could be me..

.........bang youre gone ......too late

didnt want the old rocking chair scenario either ........oh i wonder what i would have been like if.....

but i agree whisky...i have bad days still sometimes when i think..god it'd be nice to do this or that or go and visit so and so....The new friendships I have here are very welcome but as people have said on here before it takes a lot of years to culture a friendship as deep as you had with those in the uk (or wherever home was)...and i dont think you realise it till its not there any more!

I agree with you Yvsie, my wake up call was the sudden death of my cousin last September, and I make sure that I remember that when I am having one of my off days.....and also when I am having a good day......just makes me appreciate things a lot more.

Whisky
Old Apr 29th 2004, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Each person has different experiences, you may like it out here, perhaps you have no love lost for your country of birth. I can't comment on other people's experiences.. each person is different, many return for all sorts of reasons.

Mine is simply due to the fact; I never wanted to escape, or leave Wales permanently. I knew what I had even when I was there. With us it was just working abroad, and travelling around -experience. first in Asia, then offered a move to Aus. Because we were a bit fed up with Asia, just wanted a change to a "westernised" country.

After twelve years of doing this, we think it's time to go home. I for one never left Britain to escape.

Each person is different, some others leave, or are leaving Aus when they actually came here with the intention to stay permanently.

I know it's been said time and time again, Aus is not Utopia, it has as much problems as Britain. If you're emigrating for Sun, beaches and houses.. I personally think that is the wrong attitude, and may find out later on when the novelty wears off that there's more to life than that.

Personally that does not apply to me.. I didn't come here for that.. I came with the company, so I had eyes wide open/open mind.. I didn't come here to escape anything, and had no built up ideas of Aus in the first place.

Sometimes the roots of your own land is stronger than you realise within yourself.

Each person is different , and indeed there are many people here who stay, just as many of those who leave.

People who leave have many, many different reasons.. it annoys me that some people try and put all people together in one box , and say blah blah blah.. this is the reason why people leave - you can't do that.

Nobody, but nobody can say to you if you'll be one of the stayers or leavers.. the only way that you are going to tell, is experience it for yourself.

I also don't believe the longer you stay here, the more likely you are to stay "forever" in Aus. I for one have been here just over 7 years and have no intention of staying here, Dotty left after 10 years, and I have friends who have left after 20 years. Each person is different. Some stay, some go

Cheers
Very well put Ceri

Whisky
Old Apr 29th 2004, 4:18 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
If you find any stats for lettuce, let me know, i've been looking
How about this, will this do ?( from the accc):
Prices of fresh fruits, vegetables, meats and seafood in the The exceptions were lettuce (average increase of 16 per cent ), capsicums (5.6 per cent) and onions (average increase of 1.6 per cent). However, considerable volatility in the prices of fresh foods is common.

P.s sorry to "gobananas".. for talking about lettuce stats, but bananas are an ok price here.

PPs thank you whiskey
Old Apr 29th 2004, 4:31 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Here's some Iceberg facts:

http://www.wordplay.com/tourism/icebergs/facts.html
Old Apr 29th 2004, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Ceri,

If you haven't been back to the UK for 12 years then you are in for a big shock. The place has gone to pot.

However, I wish you luck
Old Apr 29th 2004, 10:04 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I also don't believe the longer you stay here, the more likely you are to stay "forever" in Aus. I for one have been here just over 7 years and have no intention of staying here, Dotty left after 10 years, and I have friends who have left after 20 years. Each person is different. Some stay, some go

Cheers
Good post.

Yep, agree with that last bit too.
My parents went back after 9 years. Homesickeness for my mother, and also not going well financially, and also she could work in NL again as a nurse.
And I was 14, so if they hadn't gone back then...

Other friends came back after about 17 years. All their children(5) were born in Oz, and couldn't speak a word of Dutch, but they came back 4 years ago when the eldest was 15.....

And of course I know plenty who stayed, and have really become 'aussies'.
Old Apr 29th 2004, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Reading the back to the UK forum did my head in last night, but it doesn't usually. What I did draw out was that it's important to get Citizenship, for your kids. Over time people seem to do a lot of to-ing and fro-ing and its good to keep the door open.
I guess I've been confused lately about Aus etc. (dad having a stroke etc), so that's why that part of the boards did my head in. I'm still waiting for the dust to settle... but I still want to go, although I feel I need to be prepared to part with more cash etc. if I need to come back more often for my parents.
Old Apr 29th 2004, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Why do we need to read the 'returning to the UK' forum when we have Mike Stanton batting for the returnees so effectively on this forum?
Old Apr 29th 2004, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sjn2003
Why do we need to read the 'returning to the UK' forum when we have Mike Stanton batting for the returnees so effectively on this forum?
I had a look at the r"eturn to uk " forum last night too.
Its a funny thing because I can identify with it up to a point having returned from a 6 yr stint in Singapore.

The thing I find helpful is that I joined several Aussie Yahoo groups so I chat to Aussies every day about everyday things and also the hobbies I'm interested in. I've got a better understanding of the problems people face financially, socially and at work. I've made friends through the yahoo groups and met up with several of them when I went over in November.

Relocating isn't easy ,I don't think people always research enough - it takes time and commitment to settle into a new culture, and location.

Travel and challenge oooooohI thrive on it!
Life isn't a dress rehersal - yes I've had a cousin and her husband killed on their honeymoon, and rellies and friends drop dead of heart attacks and cancer so I'm all for giving it a go with eyes wide open.
:lecture: over whoops got a bit serious there
Old Apr 29th 2004, 11:29 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
this site has drilled into me about balance, so all you 'not sures' go and look at the above forum.

It really opened my eyes to how much people miss the UK and what it has to offer. It was a bit wierd reading about things that most of us take for granted.

I for one am going to oz with hubs and daughter with my eyes wide open but reading the 'returnees' comments about being back have really cut a nerve.

The hard part I feel is going with a positive outlook whilst remaining realistic. If I keep purely positive I'll be in for a shock , but if I start worrying about what I won't like I'll already be approaching it negatively. Very very hard to keep that balance thats all I'm trying to say

Jill
I just keep looking forward to what each day can offer so far, I just wonder how many of the folks who migrated on the old ships went back ... probably not many ... gawd the flight was bad enough
Old Apr 29th 2004, 11:45 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sky
I just keep looking forward to what each day can offer so far, I just wonder how many of the folks who migrated on the old ships went back ... probably not many ... gawd the flight was bad enough
My sister went out on a £10 package 30 + years ago.She was a teacher.She soon returned to the UK and settled back in England.
Her friend married an Australian and they bought a run down house in sydney that no body wanted in those days.It was on a large plot of land and the garden runs down to the edge of Sydney Harbour There is room on the plot to build several houses.
Some you win,some you lose

G
Old Apr 30th 2004, 12:04 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Grayling
My sister went out on a £10 package 30 + years ago.She was a teacher.She soon returned to the UK and settled back in England.
Her friend married an Australian and they bought a run down house in sydney that no body wanted in those days.It was on a large plot of land and the garden runs down to the edge of Sydney Harbour There is room on the plot to build several houses.
Some you win,some you lose

G

My sons school mates grandma went to oz 34 yrs ago for £10 and hated it so four years later moved here to nz and loved it. My hubby has 2 half sisters and a brother in oz who when their dad and my hubbys mum split up went on the £10 thing and they are all true aussies. My mum and dad nearly went but didnt in the end and the milkman at the end of the street went with his wife and his daughter my best mate ... I was about 9. lol think I should start another thread on this
Old Apr 30th 2004, 12:35 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

I think Ceri summed it up well in her post - everyone is different and you can't possibly judge whether you will stay or leave before you do it. I was convinced that my worldly wife who has not lived in her home country (Czech Republic) since the age of 20 (she's 30) would love it and want to stay. I was therefore surprised when it was her who first mentioned that she wanted to return to the UK, a nice surprise though as I was having similar thoughts.

Similarly I've got a friend who went to a very posh private school, Oxford and worked in London as a succesful lawyer. He went to to the Gold Coast 3 years ago on an extended holiday and announced that he had secured a job in real estate with sponsorship and had decided to stay. I was convinced he would not fit in and would return pretty quickly. He's still there and just got engaged to a local girl and his emails are always gushing about how wonderful his life is and how he will never return to the UK.

Just one point that does irritate me a bit, don't know why but it does. I think France is by the far the most beautiful country in the world, even having lived in Oz and travelled to many far flung places. Why is it that the 'you only live once' brigade are not willing to spend one short year learning a foreign language to open up closer emigration opportunities. If life is really to be made the most of, then why are people too lazy to learn a language? Don't mean to offend anyone by that, but just something that niggles me. I agree that you only live once and should make the best of it, so why narrow your opportunities by only looking at english speaking countries?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.