"Glumsville"

Old Jan 11th 2004, 3:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road
Default "Glumsville"

Dear God, I reckon PB has got a job writing for the Sunday Times

Seems as though Perth people are the most sad, scared of all Aussie cities with Melbourne and Sydney not far ahead. According to this (dubious??) report only QLD folks are happy.

Add to that the 4.5m great white at three mile reef and the start of the stinger season and it's a right cheerful read.

Now I know about the stiongers and sharks, goes with the terriory but manic depressives as well
Old Jan 11th 2004, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "Glumsville"

Originally posted by Nibbs
Dear God, I reckon PB has got a job writing for the Sunday Times

Seems as though Perth people are the most sad, scared of all Aussie cities with Melbourne and Sydney not far ahead. According to this (dubious??) report only QLD folks are happy.

Add to that the 4.5m great white at three mile reef and the start of the stinger season and it's a right cheerful read.

Now I know about the stiongers and sharks, goes with the terriory but manic depressives as well
Its true, QLD has the happiest ozzies, personally I think its to do with the parties
Old Jan 11th 2004, 3:47 am
ABCDiamond

Sounds about right to me I've been happier since I got to QLD from Sydney

But then, they do say that more Sun makes people happier !

How's the sale of anti-depressants going in the UK these days?

Old Jan 11th 2004, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by dotty
Its true, QLD has the happiest ozzies, personally I think its to do with the parties
Hi Dotty,

Should meet my brother. After 16 years of running a bus. in the UK and not getting a mortgage or nuch in the way of savings, he now has a nice house on 42 acres (bit of a country boy) a good job and contacts plus the ability to go fishing whenever he wants.

Still a right whingy old git

Edit : Brisbane BTW

Last edited by Nibbs; Jan 11th 2004 at 4:38 am.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Dotty,

Should meet my brother. After 16 years of running a bus. in the UK and not getting a mortgage or nuch in the way of savings, he now has a nice house on 42 acres (bit of a country boy) a good job and contacts plus the ability to go fishing whenever he wants.

Still a right whingy old git
In Perth?
Old Jan 11th 2004, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Sounds about right to me I've been happier since I got to QLD from Sydney

But then, they do say that more Sun makes people happier !

Shusssh, dont bring that up, its actually very high here. I think PB brought it up once, Doctors prescribe heaps of them here or so he said. Know my husbands parents used to have a fruit bowl of them! Still they never did get used to the shock of him marrying a Pom.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 4:03 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Don't know about the UK but here are some figures for Australia

DEPRESSION IN AUSTRALIA

Mental health is an issue for many Australians and their families and, as depression diagnoses and antidepressant prescriptions rise, there has been a greater recognition of depression as an important health issue.

Major depression is likely to be second among the leading causes of disease burden throughout the world by 2020, according to World Health Organization predictions. Recent research and surveys have demonstrated that the problem is very real in Australian communities.

Rise in antidepressant use
The Report on Government Services 2001, released in January this year by the Steering Committee for the Review of Commonwealth/State Service Provision, found that depression is the fourth most common problem managed by Australian GPs, even more common than conditions such as arthritis or diabetes.

The report also found that in the period 1998 to 1999, GPs in Australia wrote more than [B]500 prescriptions for antidepressants per every 1000 people [B](over 15 years of age

Another study, published in the 6 November 2000 issue of the Medical Journal of Australia, highlighted the rise in the use of antidepressants by Australians between 1990 and 1998.

The research found that 85 per cent of antidepressant prescriptions written in 1998 subsidised by the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme were written by GPs, and that the number of antidepressant prescriptions had risen from 5.1 million in 1990 to 8.2 million in 1998.

The researchers stated that before the 1990s, depression had been reported as ‘under-recognised and under treated’, but the past decade has seen a big change in the number of people diagnosed with depression and managed for depression, and there have been changes in the available options for drug therapy and in the amount of antidepressant drugs prescribed.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Jirrupin

DEPRESSION IN AUSTRALIA

Mental health is an issue for many Australians and their families and, as depression diagnoses and antidepressant prescriptions rise, there has been a greater recognition of depression as an important health issue.

Major depression is likely to be second among the leading causes of disease burden throughout the world by 2020, according to World Health Organization predictions. Recent research and surveys have demonstrated that the problem is very real in Australian communities.

The Report on Government Services 2001, released in January this year by the Steering Committee for the Review of Commonwealth/State Service Provision, found that depression is the fourth most common problem managed by Australian GPs, even more common than conditions such as arthritis or diabetes.

The report also found that in the period 1998 to 1999, GPs in Australia wrote more than [B]500 prescriptions for antidepressants per every 1000 people [B](over 15 years of age

Another study, published in the 6 November 2000 issue of the Medical Journal of Australia, highlighted the rise in the use of antidepressants by Australians between 1990 and 1998.

The research found that 85 per cent of antidepressant prescriptions written in 1998 subsidised by the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme were written by GPs, and that the number of antidepressant prescriptions had risen from 5.1 million in 1990 to 8.2 million in 1998.

The researchers stated that before the 1990s, depression had been reported as ‘under-recognised and under treated’, but the past decade has seen a big change in the number of people diagnosed with depression and managed for depression, and there have been changes in the available options for drug therapy and in the amount of antidepressant drugs prescribed.
500 per thousand, thats what PB claimed half the pops on poppers. I suppose tho some people go through packets of them each year.

What I hate is standing at the chemist for a prescription, you know $28.00 a pop. Kids had asthma once and it was $140.00!!!!!!!!!

But most of the other people, usually with a pad full of scripts are handing out the dole card to get the $2.80 taxpayer funded ones. It really gets me, especially if you can see or smell they can afford fags tho.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 5:46 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Jirrupin

DEPRESSION IN AUSTRALIA

Doctors are fashion victims too. Pill pushers go to great lenghts to bend the minds of Doctors to their will.

I hypothesise that much, even most, of what is diagnosed as depression is actually sleep debt which could be cured by better sleep.

I further hypothesise that Doctors get close to zero training in sleep methods and medicine and consequentially Doctors have a medical blind spot regarding sleep.

Assess Your Sleep Online

The Z files
Old Jan 11th 2004, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

In that case maybe we should up the doses of sleeping tablets..that will cure it aye??
Old Jan 11th 2004, 6:08 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by podgypossum
In that case maybe we should up the doses of sleeping tablets..that will cure it aye??
If your Doctor is ignorant direct them to:

Postgraduate Courses in Sleep Medicine

Paediatric Sleep Medicine

or you could just swallow.
Old Jan 11th 2004, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Megalania
If your Doctor is ignorant direct them to:

Postgraduate Courses in Sleep Medicine

Paediatric Sleep Medicine

or you could just swallow.

Did you know that one of the symptoms of depression is sleeping too much?
Old Jan 11th 2004, 6:13 am
Banned

Did you know that one of the symptoms of depression is sleeping too much?
Did you know that one of the symptoms of depression is dozing too much and not sleeping enough?
Old Jan 11th 2004, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Megalania
Did you knoe that one of the symptoms of depression is dozing too much and not sleeping enough?

yes...and?

All i am saying is that you cannot make a generalisation that most depression is caused by lack of sleep! There are a million and one different reasons. Some environmental and some clinical
Old Jan 11th 2004, 6:21 am
Banned

yes...and?

All i am saying is that you cannot make a generalisation that most depression is caused by lack of sleep! There are a million and one different reasons. Some environmental and some clinical
Agreed that generalizations are not helpful without verifyable evidence. Do you have evidence to refute my hypothesis? Has anyone surveyed those being prescribed anti-depressants for sleep disorders or sleep debt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.