Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gloss paint trauma...

Gloss paint trauma...

Old Mar 10th 2012, 11:41 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gloss paint trauma...

I'm finishing the skirting boards and architraves in my front room, and thought a lovely gloss white finish would be exactly the droids I was looking for.

So I trotted off to Bunnings, to buy some paint, and ended up with Taubmans Water Based Enamel Trim paint. On the can it says:

"The finest water based enamel available, full of technology, that gives skirting boards, doors and windows the best finish a paint can give"

Swerv-O says "More like trying to paint with single cream"

It's utter shite. I've primed the woodwork twice, and it still just doesn't really have decent coverage. The results look patchy and streaky at best. Not the beautiful lustrous finish one had anticipated.

So I resolved to return and pick up some proper oil based gloss paint, however most people seem to think that this will turn yellow after a couple of days [time length shortened for exaggerated comedy effect].

So what does anybody else do? Should I stick with the patchy streaky finish of the water based enamel, or go for the yellow fade inevitability of a traditional oil based gloss? Or is it just Taubmans that's the problem here - Would a Dulux water based enamel offer better results?

Any suggestions most welcome!

S
Old Mar 11th 2012, 1:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gloss paint trauma...

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I'm finishing the skirting boards and architraves in my front room, and thought a lovely gloss white finish would be exactly the droids I was looking for.

So I trotted off to Bunnings, to buy some paint, and ended up with Taubmans Water Based Enamel Trim paint. On the can it says:

"The finest water based enamel available, full of technology, that gives skirting boards, doors and windows the best finish a paint can give"

It's utter shite. I've primed the woodwork twice, and it still just doesn't really have decent coverage. The results look patchy and streaky at best. Not the beautiful lustrous finish one had anticipated.

So I resolved to return and pick up some proper oil based gloss paint, however most people seem to think that this will turn yellow after a couple of days [time length shortened for exaggerated comedy effect].

So what does anybody else do? Should I stick with the patchy streaky finish of the water based enamel, or go for the yellow fade inevitability of a traditional oil based gloss? Or is it just Taubmans that's the problem here - Would a Dulux water based enamel offer better results?

S
Having taken 18 months to completely redecorate every wall,ceiling and door in our house I can confirm that every type of paint I used was/is utterly CRAP sometimes I even had 6 coats of coverage and it was still CRAP good luck in your search
Old Mar 11th 2012, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

We've got a major paint job happening here at the moment - a full paint of the whole house, inside and out.

We are not DIY-ers but the professionals who are doing it are using Dulux Aquanamel on all the woodwork. It looks good to me; they're whipping through the job and the coverage and finish seems fine.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 5:11 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

For whatever reason paint here is very expensive and you really have to use top quality stuff to get it to cover. A lot of the water based gloss is just crap, you need at least 3 coats to get any sort of gloss look to it. I had to get an oil based gloss in the end for our woodwork.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 5:16 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
For whatever reason paint here is very expensive and you really have to use top quality stuff to get it to cover. A lot of the water based gloss is just crap, you need at least 3 coats to get any sort of gloss look to it. I had to get an oil based gloss in the end for our woodwork.

Did you find that it yellowed at all?

I think it's the cost that's annoying me more - This is meant to be premium quality paint, not cheap stuff from Wilko. Though sadly, in my experience, the cheap stuff from Wilko is much better than this!

To be fair, I think that the wood underneath is playing a part in the way that the paint is applying, so the bifecta of poor wood and shite paint is not helping. Though I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a good quality paint to fill some of the imperfections in the wood...

S
Old Mar 11th 2012, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Bunnings is obviously getting commission from Taubmans.

Every time we go in, they say that is far superior to Dulux and other brands.
Insisting every customer has to buy it.

However we have found thats its complete crap compared to paint bought in the UK.

Gems
Old Mar 11th 2012, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of

Did you find that it yellowed at all?

I think it's the cost that's annoying me more - This is meant to be premium quality paint, not cheap stuff from Wilko. Though sadly, in my experience, the cheap stuff from Wilko is much better than this!

To be fair, I think that the wood underneath is playing a part in the way that the paint is applying, so the bifecta of poor wood and shite paint is not helping. Though I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a good quality paint to fill some of the imperfections in the wood...

S
I had new doors and skirting boards and much the same result, after first 3 or 4 coats still pants! Ended up painting new wood with primer, then emulsion(!) then a coat of the crap gloss from bunnings. Coverage was at least even but no comparison to the stuff I'd bought at home for a fraction of the price. If you find something that works, would love to hear about it as I've a few skirting boards still to do.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 9:39 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes white oil based paint will turn yellow.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

S
And don't attempt to paint water based over old oil based - it will merely peel off. Paid a supposedly professional painter to paint DD's bedroom including woodwork. Two days later and after said painter had been paid cash in hand at his insistence, paint on wardrobes, skirtings and doors all peeled off leaving us to start again using a 3-in-1 primer/sealer before applying enamel.

Oh how I miss Wickes
Old Mar 11th 2012, 12:15 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

S
I tend to avoid Bunnings for paint and use Solver instead (we know a painter and that's where he buys his paint). The oil-based stuff I bought there a few years ago went on well and is still looking good.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 12:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzSheila
And don't attempt to paint water based over old oil based - it will merely peel off. Paid a supposedly professional painter to paint DD's bedroom including woodwork. Two days later and after said painter had been paid cash in hand at his insistence, paint on wardrobes, skirtings and doors all peeled off leaving us to start again using a 3-in-1 primer/sealer before applying enamel.

Oh how I miss Wickes
We have a perennial problem with our gloss paint. It just peels off, and we've sanded and primed. Wish the previous owner of the house hadn't painted all the woodwork to match the shit brown walls.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 12:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I have an irrational hatred of gloss paint so don't have it anywhere we've decorated. Our internal doors are gloss but that will change when/if we ever have enough money to consider unnecessarily replacing doors that currently work. Even if they do look shit.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 12:50 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I tend to avoid Bunnings for paint and use Solver instead (we know a painter and that's where he buys his paint). The oil-based stuff I bought there a few years ago went on well and is still looking good.
I'm about to paint the exterior of my house and am going to use Solver, my pal can get me it for a 40% discount.

Do you or can anyone tell me how I'm supposed to know whow much to get?
Old Mar 12th 2012, 1:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I'm about to paint the exterior of my house and am going to use Solver, my pal can get me it for a 40% discount.

Do you or can anyone tell me how I'm supposed to know whow much to get?
Difficult one. You will need to look at the m2 coverage of the paint you are going to use, how many coats etc. Go and have a chat with them. The guy at the Midland store where I go is very helpful.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 2:20 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Difficult one. You will need to look at the m2 coverage of the paint you are going to use, how many coats etc. Go and have a chat with them. The guy at the Midland store where I go is very helpful.
Thanks. Been putting it off but I need to bite the bullet and start.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.