Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Global warming impact on property prices?

Global warming impact on property prices?

Old Apr 11th 2007, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

DJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant future
Unhappy Global warming impact on property prices?

Everyone is madly rushing to buy property, prices are rocketing and everything looks rosy, or does it? A plan being considered by the government to map all the areas that may be affected by climate change, could have a significant impact on property prices for some. This could show areas that are likely to be impacted by rising sea levels, more extreme weather, drought etc.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...rom=public_rss

Once something like this is published, who will want to buy in areas that may be affected, especially at todays high prices. Those low lying properties in areas like the Gold Coat could be worth a fraction of their current value. So, beware where you buy!

On the positive side, if you are not in an area that is likely to be affected, your house price could rise significantly.

It is just something else for all of us to worry about. But then maybe it won't happen.

DJMA (in the house on a hill)
Old Apr 11th 2007, 1:32 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Global warming impact on property prices?

Originally Posted by DJMA
Everyone is madly rushing to buy property, prices are rocketing and everything looks rosy, or does it? A plan being considered by the government to map all the areas that may be affected by climate change, could have a significant impact on property prices for some. This could show areas that are likely to be impacted by rising sea levels, more extreme weather, drought etc.

Once something like this is published, who will want to buy in areas that may be affected, especially at todays high prices. Those low lying properties in areas like the Gold Coat could be worth a fraction of their current value. So, beware where you buy!

On the positive side, if you are not in an area that is likely to be affected, your house price could rise significantly.

It is just something else for all of us to worry about. But then maybe it won't happen.

Each year Government press releases declare the previous year to be the "hottest year on record." The UN's executive summary on climate change, issued in January 2001, insists that the 20th century was the warmest in the last millennium. The news media distribute these stories and people generally believed them to be true. However, as most climatologists know, these reports generally are founded on ground-based temperature readings, which are misleading. The more meaningful and precise orbiting satellite data for the same period (which are generally not cited by the press) have year after year showed little or no warming.

its a load of money making bollox, Global warming is not a bi product of carbon levels as indicated by those in the know, carbon levels increase around 200 years behind temperature increases, thus indicating that carbon does not increase temperature, in my opinion it is all a money making media hype... I wouldn't worry too much myself.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

Angela Marie - Cairns will become famous soon enoughAngela Marie - Cairns will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=Brisben;4626477]

I Take your point Brisben.
Certainly has been a hot topic of conversation here in Cairns the last week, with people who have houses on the beaches, further to the Tsunami threat of last monday though.

Angela
Old Apr 12th 2007, 12:49 am
Banned

007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all

I wish the media would move onto something more important - like who is going to win the cricket world cup.

Last week it was terrorism - we were all doomed remember. Now it's this myth of global warming.

Scientists can't even properly predict tomorrows weather. These people go to uni for 3 years, write a few essays and then call them selfs experts. Puuhlease!
Old Apr 12th 2007, 12:52 am
In New Yorshire

tyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud of

I'm a house on the hill person.

Always lived in houses on hill in fact.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DJMA

I'm on top of a hill too. Rising sea levels will make my place waterfront.
Bring on global warming I say!
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:07 am
In New Yorshire

tyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I'm on top of a hill too. Rising sea levels will make my place waterfront.
Bring on global warming I say!
That's a thought!,do I start building the jetty now while I can get the foundations going on dry land????
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:23 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisben
Each year Government press releases declare the previous year to be the "hottest year on record." The UN's executive summary on climate change, issued in January 2001, insists that the 20th century was the warmest in the last millennium. The news media distribute these stories and people generally believed them to be true. However, as most climatologists know, these reports generally are founded on ground-based temperature readings, which are misleading. The more meaningful and precise orbiting satellite data for the same period (which are generally not cited by the press) have year after year showed little or no warming.

its a load of money making bollox, Global warming is not a bi product of carbon levels as indicated by those in the know, carbon levels increase around 200 years behind temperature increases, thus indicating that carbon does not increase temperature, in my opinion it is all a money making media hype... I wouldn't worry too much myself.
Thank God: you've put my mind at rest.

Here was me thinking that thousands of man-years, terrabytes of data, several thousand scientists in disciplines such as climatology, atmospherics, climatic paleontology, meteorology, fluid dynamics, oceanography, satellite instrumentation and the like actually had some idea what they were talking about.

On second thoughts, I would prefer to take on board what they report rather than the ideas of someone who dismisses the problem as "bollox".
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:34 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Here was me thinking that thousands of man-years, terrabytes of data, several thousand scientists in disciplines such as climatology, atmospherics, climatic paleontology, meteorology, fluid dynamics, oceanography, satellite instrumentation and the like actually had some idea what they were talking about.
Unless they have fallen victim to Albrecht's Law : "Intelligent people, when assembled into an organisation, will tend towards collective stupidity"
http://www.aim.com.au/resources/article_kalbrecht.html

As for the "terabytes of data" you put so much faith in, it's just as likely to be a serious case of over-analysis.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:35 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisben
The UN's executive summary on climate change, issued in January 2001, insists that the 20th century was the warmest in the last millennium.
Which isn't really saying much, considering that the Little Ice Age lasted for nearly 500 years during "the last millennium".
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:44 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Unless they have fallen victim to Albrecht's Law : "Intelligent people, when assembled into an organisation, will tend towards collective stupidity"

As for the "terabytes of data" you put so much faith in, it's just as likely to be a serious case of over-analysis.
The doubt for me is that whilst there are many scientists saying GW is caused by man there are many other equally respected scientists saying it is a natural event. Who's right? The thing is, right now, the man-made advocates are being listened to and the scientists with the opposing viewpoint are being shouted down as pawns of big business.

Makes me a bit sceptical.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

The old fogey aussie inlaws rant on about this one all the time, not cause of cimate change but cause they saw the effects of the coastline when they got cyclones back in 60's 70's whatever, they rave on about it every time they come up. According to them, much of the mansion like housing along the coastline was under water after the cyclone, which by all accounts was only the tail end of one anyway.

I suppose they might just be pissed off they didnt buy a beachfront house for $30,000 thats now worth a few million, but the old man did go up to darwin etc so maybe hes right.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:47 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

I'm a cynic by nature and training, but I find it quite incredible and rather depressing that there are so many lay people out there who are so adamant that there's nothing in it.

The ICCC reports use quite straightforward language and also, as good science does, stay short of saying that the scientists are 100% sure. Their 90% certainty is enough for me.

They are not stupid, nor ignorant of the other cyclical factors in global energy systems.

There are far too many people around who are bamboozled by the (relatively few) nay-sayers, who come out with such excuses as "the satellite data has been shown to be inexact", for example. In fact, re-analysis of several decades of those data has actually shown the problem to be worse than the analysis of previous years.

A letter-writer in the SMH last Monday epitomises the attitude: with four children he can rationalise global warming away by saying that they are "environmentally aware"! he ends by saying that all good christians should forget about the myth of climate change and go forth and multiply.

Breathtaking ignorance....
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

I think humans are arrogant to think they are contributing to the warming of the planet.

Or perhaps all those millions of years ago when the world was covered with ice some organism somewhere was driving round in a petrol engine and burning coal and that's what caused the ice to melt?

There was an interesting story in the news on the web last week that Mars has also had an increase in its temperature - funny how that got buried by the general media though...
Old Apr 12th 2007, 1:58 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Wol
I'm a cynic by nature and training, but I find it quite incredible and rather depressing that there are so many lay people out there who are so adamant that there's nothing in it.

The ICCC reports use quite straightforward language and also, as good science does, stay short of saying that the scientists are 100% sure. Their 90% certainty is enough for me.

They are not stupid, nor ignorant of the other cyclical factors in global energy systems.
No-one is denying that the world's climate is getting warmer, as it has been doing since about the 1700s. Where there is scope for a legitimate debate is the extent to which:

- man made activities are responsible (when there's plenty of evidence that the climate has fluctuated violently long before we were around);
- whether global warming is inherently a bad thing - history suggests that periods of global cooling were much more problematic
- whether the world is really warmer than it's been for a long time, when there's plenty of evidence to suggest that places like Britain and Greenland were significantly warmer before the Little Ice Age than they are even today.

Any "cynic by nature and training" ought to be able to detect the political agenda behind the "man made global warming" advocates.

If we really want to concern ourselves with something that could make things difficult in future, then "peak oil" is far more worthy of our intellectual effort.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.