Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A glimpse of Kiwi sports madness

A glimpse of Kiwi sports madness

Old Nov 14th 2003, 12:23 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A glimpse of Kiwi sports madness

This is what the All Blacks have to look forward to if they lose....

crazy...

It may sound similar to the passions around the England football team, but it's not. England gets over that in 24 hours - certain elements of NZ society do not!

sorry for the cut and paste

---------------
Burdened by a nation's soul
14 November 2003
By JIM KAYES in Melbourne

All Black captain Reuben Thorne says it's sad New Zealand's psyche relies so heavily on the team's success.

Thorne acknowledged how much was riding on the result of tomorrow's semifinal against Australia in Sydney.

Asked if an All Black loss could affect the New Zealand economy, Thorne said: "It affects the mood of the country, so in that respect, yes, it could. It's sad, but it's true."

When the All Blacks lost to France in the World Cup semifinal four years ago, the nation plunged into unprecedented despair and anger. John Hart resigned as coach but he and then skipper Taine Randell were pilloried. Hart's horse, Holmes DG, was spat at in Christchurch.

When some of the players returned to New Zealand the word "Losers" was written on their bags when they emerged on the carousel at Auckland airport.

After being criticised earlier in the year, the All Blacks are now riding a wave of popularity. Yesterday, Air New Zealand delivered thousands of messages of support to the team, while New Zealand Post also dropped off thousands of cards and letters. The All Black website has received 4000 messages of goodwill.

Thorne said the support was fantastic, but also had its down side. "New Zealand supporters – some will come up to you and say, `Good luck', but most will say, `Don't let us down'.

"There is quite a big difference in that. We do our best, but the reality is that you can't win them all."

Thorne promised the All Blacks would do their best again tomorrow night but he was making no promises.

While the All Blacks are favoured to win, what happened at Twickenham four years ago should keep every All Black fan on the edge of his or her seat till the final whistle. "On these occasions – and we've seen it before – anything can happen," Thorne said.
Old Nov 14th 2003, 12:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Jon

There was an article in The Times yesterday by Simon Barnes. It was about what he called the Aussie dilemma if there was a New Zealand vs England final. His premise was 'they' wouldn't know who to support. It 'rabbited' on for half a page about ANZAC, mother country, convict past, royal family etc and then he finished with FWIW I don't think England will make the final.

Today's front page of The Times carries unflattering passport type pictures of some of the French players with the headline 'Presumptious, moi?'. The same paper has been carrying an 'insult quote' every day about 'Pommie bashing'. Yesterday's was from one of the Sydney papers and it said England know they can't win without Jonny, now it's dawning that they might not win with Jonny. I wondered what was insulting about it?

Anyway, just stirring

On paper it looks like a New Zealand vs France final but I think it could also be NZ vs England; or Australia vs France; or Australia vs England.

Good luck to everyone and may the best teams win.

Now I'll have a read of your Kiwi article.

OzTennis
Old Nov 14th 2003, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! It reads like the Italian football team coming home without the World Cup.

Just out of interest do you know if the author is a Kiwi or an Aussie? Could be Kiwi bashing by an Aussie

OzTennis
Old Nov 14th 2003, 1:16 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by OzTennis

On paper it looks like a New Zealand vs France final but I think it could also be NZ vs England; or Australia vs France; or Australia vs England.
Well, you're not going to be wrong are you?
Old Nov 14th 2003, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by JaneandJim
Well, you're not going to be wrong are you?
Er, that's my antipodean sense of humour

OzTennis

P.S. I'll go on public record here - I hope Australia will make the final but I don't think they will, I also think France will beat England. So it's NZ vs France for me. But the Kiwi's could 'bottle' it and there's always Jonny and the ludicrous rules and scoring system! I dunno in other words
Old Nov 14th 2003, 1:33 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I would think most aussies would support NZ (that's if they even care) - and most kiwi's would support aus in same situation. Likewise I would expect (even if they don't admit publicy) most welsh fans would support England...

WBB??? Who you supporting!?

It was from a NZ newspaper, so probably written by a kiwi reporter.

The stupid thing is that that kind of pressure is exactly why the All Black's don't win world cups. It's refreshing to listen to UK commentators actually complimenting their play - in NZ, the commentators and public do nothing but criticise them. Even Jonah Lomu was not rated at all in NZ. David Beckham or Henmania never happens in NZ - unless our players are faultless AND humble (eg Michael Jones), they get knocked.
Old Nov 14th 2003, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by jandjuk
I would think most aussies would support NZ (that's if they even care) - and most kiwi's would support aus in same situation. Likewise I would expect (even if they don't admit publicy) most welsh fans would support England...

WBB??? Who you supporting!?

It was from a NZ newspaper, so probably written by a kiwi reporter.

The stupid thing is that that kind of pressure is exactly why the All Black's don't win world cups. It's refreshing to listen to UK commentators actually complimenting their play - in NZ, the commentators and public do nothing but criticise them. Even Jonah Lomu was not rated at all in NZ. David Beckham or Henmania never happens in NZ - unless our players are faultless AND humble (eg Michael Jones), they get knocked.
If the Kiwis are in the final you'll have one extra supporter I await the Brits asking me to explaining that Gee, that's really pressure if it is a Kiwi reporter.

Good luck.

OzTennis

My guess is that WBB will support the Kiwis too.