Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Glebe, Pyrmont and Balmain Sydney?

Glebe, Pyrmont and Balmain Sydney?

Old Jun 28th 2008, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Glebe, Pyrmont and Balmain Sydney?

Hi all thanks to everyone who answered before about a whole variety of things...

We have looked at loads of areas (virtually) and the above 'sound' like a match for us...however we haven't been there and don't know if the description is accurate.

We have a child of 2 who is nowhere near school age (obviously) but might want a decent nursery from 3/4 so I can work.

Do you know anything about the above areas esp Balmain? Any opinions?

Thanks

PP x
Old Jun 28th 2008, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

emigratingherberts will become famous soon enoughemigratingherberts will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Glebe, Pyrmont and Balmain Sydney?

Balmain is a good, safe, family suburb but expensive and housing is packed quite tightly together so you don't get much garden or house for your money. Nice and close to the city.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 7:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Glebe is quite nice - sort of city village feel to it but very $$$ due to its proximity to the city. Some lovely older places there.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Balmain and Glebe are similar - lots of terraces or little houses with small gardens. The narrowest house I've ever seen is in Balmain. Balmain has the edge on Glebe, in my opinion - it's in a better position on the water and less inner-city-ish. Both have loads of cafes, pubs, restaurants. Balmain has some nice boutiquey shops - very trendy area. Glebe is close to Sydney Uni so is more student-friendly.

Pyrmont is mainly apartments. Handy for the city but I wouldn't live there with a young family - it's more suited to singles.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:34 am
Used to be Seasider

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

We looked a couple of months ago and thought Balmain was lovely but the houses available in our budget of 6-700 were miniscule and/or in a scandalous condition. (And when I tell you the house we settled on is c.800 sq ft that must tell you something!)

Some nice-looking apartments by the water but we were restricted by having 3 cats. IIRC some nice green spaces around them so might be perfect for a littlie.

How about Leichardt if you fancy that area? (Nicky?)

Somebody asked about Pyrmont just this week so you might want to look up that thread.

You're house-hunting at a very bad time, the vacancy rate being so low - good luck.

Oh and check out www.cityhobo.com if you haven't already.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider View Post
Leichhardt is great for cafes and restaurants (fantastic Italian area) but I'm not sure about living there. I think it's full-on busy most of the time.

If you like the sound of Balmain but it's too expensive I'd be more inclined to go for Rozelle, Lilyfield or Drummoyne which have the advantage of being close without the price tag. Those suburbs are chock-a-block with people who'd like to live in Balmain but can't afford it.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 2:24 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider View Post
We looked a couple of months ago and thought Balmain was lovely but the houses available in our budget of 6-700 were miniscule and/or in a scandalous condition. (And when I tell you the house we settled on is c.800 sq ft that must tell you something!)

Some nice-looking apartments by the water but we were restricted by having 3 cats. IIRC some nice green spaces around them so might be perfect for a littlie.

Somebody asked about Pyrmont just this week so you might want to look up that thread.

You're house-hunting at a very bad time, the vacancy rate being so low - good luck.

Oh and check out www.cityhobo.com if you haven't already.

You were lucky to even find houses less than $900k in Balmain. The proximity to the city has driven prices up, and there is very little around under $1m. There are also not that many apartments in Balmain either, unless you go down to Toytown on the harbour foreshore. Balmain also doesn't have great transport links to the city either - there are only two bus services that run - the 441 and 442 - no trains or light rail. Taxis can also be a problem, particularly late Friday/Saturday nights. Hence it is often referred to as the insular peninsular - People who live there tend not to venture further afield.

Rozelle is a nice area, though definitely has two parts to it - the Balmain side and the other side of Victoria Road. Property on the other side is priced much lower than the Balmain side, for the sake of a 50 m walk. Transport is also good into the city - multitudes of buses run down Victoria Road at all hours. Driving can be a pain - the run in from the Gladesville Bridge to Anzac Bridge is often choked in the morning.

Glebe is as has been described. Glebe Point Road is a thriving shopping street with loads of boutique shops, restaurants, cafes and bars. The houses do tend to be small, but most are in the inner west. There are waterfront properties along Blackwattle Bay, which command astronomical prices. Good transport links into the city though, and you can walk to the CBD in 35-40 minutes. There is also Broadway shopping Centre right on your doorstep too, along with the University.

HTH

S
Old Jun 30th 2008, 2:43 am
Used to be Seasider

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, sorry, to clarify - that's weekly rent rather than buying.

I'm now glad we took our search back over the water and traded space for location as I can walk to the train station - which has a small mall attached - in 5 minutes, and still haven't been on a bus.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

michdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant futuremichdp has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Balmain and Glebe are similar - lots of terraces or little houses with small gardens. The narrowest house I've ever seen is in Balmain. Balmain has the edge on Glebe, in my opinion - it's in a better position on the water and less inner-city-ish. Both have loads of cafes, pubs, restaurants. Balmain has some nice boutiquey shops - very trendy area. Glebe is close to Sydney Uni so is more student-friendly.

Pyrmont is mainly apartments. Handy for the city but I wouldn't live there with a young family - it's more suited to singles.
My sister & brother in law lived in Balmain for a while & loved it. Easy to get to the city & lots of young families. Agree about the size of houses though... their's was gorgeous but tiny! My brother-in-law drove into the city each day & took him about 15 mins. There's also the ferries of course.