Reload this Page >

Glad i didn't choose Melbourne

Glad i didn't choose Melbourne

Old Jul 19th 2004, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough
Default Glad i didn't choose Melbourne

Hi,

I've just got back from a conference in Melbourne. Bl**dy cold place - maybe I've gone soft but I can honestly say that I was miserable.

I'm sure the rain was going upwards. You had to use a coat everywhere - even inside many places. Freezing cold wind...it was blowing gale. Even hail....English hail (small).

When I stepped off the plane (on my return) I was greeted by Brissie's 16C at night. Felt like a warm blanket after Melbourne.

Yes...there were some nice things...narrow lanes....place a lot older....but QLD is much better - even in the summer.

Wish the humidity would kick in again...my skin's gone dry.

regards
Old Jul 19th 2004, 6:16 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Glad i didn't choose Melbourne

Originally posted by jwatsonoz
Hi,

I've just got back from a conference in Melbourne. Bl**dy cold place - maybe I've gone soft but I can honestly say that I was miserable.

I'm sure the rain was going upwards. You had to use a coat everywhere - even inside many places. Freezing cold wind...it was blowing gale. Even hail....English hail (small).

When I stepped off the plane (on my return) I was greeted by Brissie's 16C at night. Felt like a warm blanket after Melbourne.

Yes...there were some nice things...narrow lanes....place a lot older....but QLD is much better - even in the summer.

regards

Ouch, poor old Melbourne cops it again..
Old Jul 19th 2004, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

They don't call it the Bleak City for nothing.
Old Jul 19th 2004, 6:56 am
Badge

Originally posted by Bordy
Ouch, poor old Melbourne cops it again..
too true. ;-)

On the other hand, this is the coldest month, yet we had glorious sun for most of the weekend and I basked in the sun on the motorway on Friday morning. I never get so cold I get nipped cheeks, I still wear a t-shirt and one fleece.

Our highest temps are still as high as some of the recent UK summer weather. Admittedly, it gets cold at nights, but that's what fires and doonas and clothes were invented for.

I know that even Sydney has more sun and slightly higher temps but you know what, tough titty.

Melbourne has FINALLY had above-average rain fall for some weeks. It's what we need. In March, if I recall correctly, we had no rain at all. None what so ever. Tank owners were forever fishing out their wallets.

BM

Old Jul 19th 2004, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

Originally posted by badgersmount
too true. ;-)

On the other hand, this is the coldest month, yet we had glorious sun for most of the weekend and I basked in the sun on the motorway on Friday morning. I never get so cold I get nipped cheeks, I still wear a t-shirt and one fleece.

Our highest temps are still as high as some of the recent UK summer weather. Admittedly, it gets cold at nights, but that's what fires and doonas and clothes were invented for.

I know that even Sydney has more sun and slightly higher temps but you know what, tough titty.

Melbourne has FINALLY had above-average rain fall for some weeks. It's what we need. In March, if I recall correctly, we had no rain at all. None what so ever. Tank owners were forever fishing out their wallets.

BM
Phew, thanks badgersmount for giving some reassurance to us soon to be Melburnians. Anyone else got any positive messages about the city, cos I read another depressing thing about the city in the Herald Sun saying that the CBD is a mess at the moment.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...%5E661,00.html

Mind you I remember this time a couple of years ago Birmingham city centre was a complete eyesore with all the building work going on, but it has actually improved in the centre now it's all finished.
Old Jul 19th 2004, 9:12 am
Badge

That hail was most decidedly a one-off; first I'd heard of it too all winter.

One day in Nov 2002 it was 40 degrees. This was midway through Spring.

Melbourne is NOT Sydney or Brisbane. Brisbane is humid in the summer, Sydney much less so.

Melbourne weather is changeable but it is not as bad as people make out. You may not get the sunrise and rays hitting you every morning in winter, but you will sometimes. In Summer the sun may not come glaring out of the sky until after lunch, on some days, but it will on others.

Often visitors visit Melbourne on a bad day and carry this impression through. I know, I did. Live here for more than a week (or a few days) and you will get better weather.

Melbourne has scorchers in the summer - hotter than Sydney infact. And it is a lot warmer than the UK. (Althought depending on the house you live in you may suffer at home; but you could suffer equally in Sydney in this respect too).

It is hard to explain Melbourne weather to non Melbournites but many UK people like it.

Last edited by badgersmount; Jul 19th 2004 at 10:46 am.

Old Jul 19th 2004, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

This one's been a topic of conversation with young_lass and I at our workplaces.

We'd both separately, and without each other knowing, asked our workmates when the winter is at it's coldest.

We were a little suprised when the workmates said 'now'.

Young_lass hasn't even bought a hat and gloves - and they used to glued to her from November to February in the UK!

Looking at the weather forecast each morning it's clear that Melbourne does have colder temps by a few degrees than Sydney (I won't even compare to Brisbane).

Compared to the UK - I'd say it feels like a late Feb in the UK.

This is our first Melbourne winter though. Maybe this time next year, after enjoying our first full Australian summer, I'd be reporting, 'It's bloody freezing here!'.
Old Jul 19th 2004, 9:24 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by badgersmount
Often visitors visit Melbourne on a bad day and carry this impression through. I know, I did. Live here for more than a week (or a few days) and you will get better weather.
Yes, if you don't like the weather, wait half an hour and it will change.

Melbourne has some of the most changeable - and interesting - weather in the world.
Old Jul 19th 2004, 9:32 am
Badge

Originally posted by young_lad

Compared to the UK - I'd say it feels like a late Feb in the UK.
hmmm ....about the same....maybe even early March!!!

I went for a run and had a slight cough from the cold the other day. I normally first get this in the UK in November. We are now in the comparable Jan month and I've only just got that.

On "Christmas Day", our end June, I was out in a garden in a singlet in the sunshine doing light work.

BM

Old Jul 19th 2004, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

My lovely ex tenants are back in their home in Melb and sent me an email on Friday saying its 16c and sunny, winter isn't as bad as the 2 they had here in uk!

Here's A few tips from "simple savings" to fight the cold in OZ

Warm change table and clothes
I warm my two-year-old daughter's clothes and change table with a hot water bottle. It doesn't really cost anything because I've already boiled the kettle to make a cuppa. Before she is ready to be changed I place a hot water bottle on her change table or bed with her clothes wrapped around it. Then, when she is ready, I whip the hot water bottle out, lay her down on the warm surface and dress her in pre-warmed clothes. This makes her happy even on really frosty mornings.

Contributed by: Naomi Bruvels

Cut down your heating bill
Our electricity bill after winter used to be quite high ($268 for two people) because the heater was used most days in winter. However, last year my husband and I reduced our winter bill by $100 with three simple steps:

1. Layering our clothing – air heats up between layers of clothing thus keeping you warm.
2. Keeping a spare blanket near the sofa to snuggle under (quite romantic).
3. Reducing heater usage – we only use it when we have guests over.

Contributed by: Costanza Devlin

Dried citrus peel fire lighters
For all open fire fans, there’s no need to buy fire lighters. The peel from any citrus fruit, especially oranges, can be dried and used to set your kindling alight. The natural oils in the peel really spark up, and the resulting aroma is just another natural side benefit.

Contributed by: Graham Arkle

Economical heating in a small unit
In winter I put my clothes dryer in the kitchen of my unit where a dishwasher would go, with the vent directed to the main living area. When I wash the sheets and blankets in I put them in the dryer and I get two for one - a warm unit and dry sheets.

Contributed by: Julie Bagley

Flannelette sheets instead of electric blankets
This year we decided to see how long we could last during winter before we felt we needed to get out the electric blanket. Instead of putting on the electric blanket as soon as it turned cold, we put a fitted flannelette sheet on the bed and bought an inexpensive polar fleece blanket for the top layer under the doona. By doing this, we have stayed extra warm, as well as saving on the power bill.

Contributed by: Cathie Ross

Hot water bottle at sporting events
I used to freeze waiting for my nine-year-old daughter at events. Even if I am inside a sporting facility or church, there is no guarantee of heating. Recently I went to my daughter's after-school program - and froze. I walked up the street to the nearest discount outlet, The Reject Shop, and bought a hot water bottle for $2. I took it back down to the church and filled it up at the sink with hot water. Then I sat down snug and warm. Now I keep it under one of the seats in the car.

Contributed by: Leonie Edge

Saved $200 with hot-water bottles
Save on your electricity or gas bills by using hot water bottles. My husband and I enjoy reading or watching television or DVDs with two hot water bottles each and a doona, and we feel cosy and warm without having to use any other form of heating. We live in the hills, and it gets pretty cold here in winter; if it's particularly cold, we take the edge off the chill by using the reverse-cycle air-conditioner for 10 minutes. We estimate that the savings add up to at least $200 a year. In addition, I use hot water bottles instead of a fan heater when I'm using the computer. We also use hot water bottles in bed - much cheaper and safer than an electric blanket!

Contributed by: Jan Heinrich

Storing blankets under your sheets
To keep warm in winter and save on heating costs place a spare quilt under your fitted sheet. Not only will it seem as though you're sleeping on a cloud, you will also get a lot more warmth from the quilt and save heaps on electricity costs. You can also store unused blankets and sheets under your mattress to save on space.

Contributed by: Linda Baker

Stockings warm our house
I have created a way of excluding draughts from beneath doors. Cut a leg off a pair of pantyhose. Take two door sausages and roll the stocking leg over them till they fit to the toe. Tie a knot in the end. Then spread the sausages apart and feed them under the door; it will look like you have a door sausage on both sides of the door.

Contributed by: Dotti Newman

Heavy curtains = warm house
Save money in winter with heavy curtains - most heat escapes out the windows. The best results are achieved by creating a pocket of air between the curtain and the window by enclosing the top of the curtain with a box pelmet.

Contributed by: Jahn Mann

Wood for your heater from joinery for free
We have a wood heater and these days finding the time to go wood carting is becoming impossible. A delivered load of wood costs approximately $200, although the cost of doing it yourself is much cheaper (about $50 - fuel chains etc.). However, we have found something that costs next to nothing.

If there is a joinery in your area, contact them. We did, and left our trailer with them. Four days later (depending on their workload) we had a full load of timber offcuts for the cost of fuel towing our trailer there and back home again. This also saves the joinery money, as they don't need to pay to empty their dumpster as often.

It is an ideal solution for older people as they don't have to cut the wood, and if mixed with larger logs the wood goes further and saves time and money.

Old Jul 19th 2004, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by jwatsonoz
Hi,

regards
I Love Melbourne
Old Jul 19th 2004, 7:28 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Stewie
I Love Melbourne

Me too but the cooler Winter puts some poor souls off.
Old Jul 19th 2004, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Economical heating in a small unit
In winter I put my clothes dryer in the kitchen of my unit where a dishwasher would go, with the vent directed to the main living area. When I wash the sheets and blankets in I put them in the dryer and I get two for one - a warm unit and dry sheets.

Wouldn't you get condensation?
Old Jul 19th 2004, 8:36 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by Bordy
Me too but the cooler Winter puts some poor souls off.
GOOD!!!!

Anya.
Old Jul 19th 2004, 8:44 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by helinuk
My lovely ex tenants are back in their home in Melb and sent me an email on Friday saying its 16c and sunny, winter isn't as bad as the 2 they had here in uk!

Here's A few tips from "simple savings" to fight the cold in OZ

Love it!!

These sound just like the government advice published in UK newspapers during World War II. I have visions of all these shivering Aussies snuggled up under gray army blankets to keep warm, while listening to stirring patriotic stuff on the wireless....!

Nothing in there about about chopping down the eucalpyts & turning the yard over to veg growing, then?

Anya.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.